Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ideas for a sell out at Selhurst tomorrow

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I know that was Withdean and we always make excuses, but the simple fact is that Withdean very very rarely sold out (especially after the capacity was raised to a massive 8,000), because people didn't want to watch the club.

That's not quite true about people not wanting to watch the club. Plenty wanted to watch but were unsurprisingly put off by the high price of the tickets, awful conditions and terrible view.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Theres some f***ing knobs on this board. Amazes me how quickly people have forgotten the kids for a quid deals at Withdean and Harty on the phone in imploring the club to give unsold seats to local schools. Palace are making an effort to shift tickets and offering discounted tickets when most people are skint can only be a good thing. Remember if it wasnt for Tony Boom we'd still be knocking around a 3/4 full Withdean in the bottom half of league one or worse.
Still hate Palace & still want them to lose every week but credit where credits due.... though in their case that's probably not the best phrase to use!

This. Bit embarrassing really.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
That's not quite true about people not wanting to watch the club. Plenty wanted to watch but were unsurprisingly put off by the high price of the tickets, awful conditions and terrible view.
Well, with respect, that means they "didn't want to watch", i.e. the downsides overrode their desire to attend. I know - because in the latter years I was one of them! A Brighton fan who didn't want to go to the matches. And even people like me overcame our dislike of the Withdean for the big games.

I bet if (when) we struggle and attendances fall one of the contributing reasons will be transport and we'll hear comments like "the P&R's a pain, can't be arsed with all that queuing to watch a load of crap". Ticket price will become a factor again and we'll probably have to do Groupon deals ...

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
Well, with respect, that means they "didn't want to watch", i.e. the downsides overrode their desire to attend. I know - because in the latter years I was one of them! A Brighton fan who didn't want to go to the matches. And even people like me overcame our dislike of the Withdean for the big games.

I bet if (when) we struggle and attendances fall one of the contributing reasons will be transport and we'll hear comments like "the P&R's a pain, can't be arsed with all that queuing to watch a load of crap". Ticket price will become a factor again and we'll probably have to do Groupon deals ...

Wonder how many palace fans would turn up if they were at withdean? 3,000.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
:lolol: because you've been on an internet forum for nine years you think you are a fan - I've been watching the Albion before you were born.

Its because we've been through the hard times that some know how to enjoy the good times. Sit on your hands and worry that it's all going to turn to jackshite if you like - I'm loving lording it over the scum. :thumbsup:

Been doing much "lording" tonight, Major?

Been doing much "lording" tonight, Major?

You are Palace aren't you Bobkin ? I can smell 'em.

Yes I'm still lording it over the scum - with 4,000 kids at a £1 a pop plus groupon they still fell 4,000 below our worst home crowd. Plus they scrapped a home win over a side that we beat 3-1 away. Next up for them is Millwall at home which is always a laugh as about 6,000 of them will melt away from todays crowd .

Back to picking holes in everything Albion for you then ?

No, that's all fair enough Major. I'm sure you, like me, were there that day in 1973 when we had a crowd of just over 5,000 for a Saturday home game against Shrewsbury (I think). About five years later crowds went up to 25,000. Recently they were back to 5,000. I know that was Withdean and we always make excuses, but the simple fact is that Withdean very very rarely sold out (especially after the capacity was raised to a massive 8,000), because people didn't want to watch the club.

Now of course crowds are back up to 25,000 but "what goes around comes around". By all means enjoy the phenomena (I certainly do), but remember we've no divine right to expect 25-30,000 every match. The fanbase melted away before; we all know the reasons but if you think it can never happen again ... well you're as deluded as that poor Southampton fan who thinks that borrowing against future ticket sales is a good idea.

Don't understand your point Brovian.

I know the Albion have fans that come and go relating to the clubs success - that's the same for all clubs. I've stood in a crowd of over 30,000 at the Goldstone in late sixties and as low as you say in early 70's That's why I can't understand why some on here don't enjoy the moment.

Palace fans absolutely hate the attendance thing - it cannot be argued with its there in black and white every home fixture - if it all goes tits up then they will be on here giving it to us. Let's hope it continues but I'm not going to pipe down just in case things turn bad - that's for wimps.:thumbsup:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

I know the Albion have fans that come and go relating to the clubs success - that's the same for all clubs. I've stood in a crowd of over 30,000 at the Goldstone in late sixties and as low as you say in early 70's That's why I can't understand why some on here don't enjoy the moment.

Palace fans absolutely hate the attendance thing - it cannot be argued with its there in black and white every home fixture - if it all goes tits up then they will be on here giving it to us. Let's hope it continues but I'm not going to pipe down just in case things turn bad - that's for wimps.:thumbsup:
I AM enjoying the moment! Not spoiled in the least by Palace going above us yesterday as I''m far more interested in what we do.

My sole point is that you run the risk of being 'hoist by your own petard' when, due to the cyclic nature of football for clubs like us, Palace are back in the Prem and we're looking at relegation to League One. We'll then be the ones looking at ways to boost our attendance while they play at a packed and rocking Selhurst Park. If you're happy enough to take it all on the chin when that happens (and these threads will surely be bounced by gleeful Palace fans!) then fair enough.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

If you are more interested and enjoy comparing attendance levels rather than what happens on the park then that's fair enough. It's whatever turns you on.

It's less than five years ago to when we were playing to crowds of 4,000 under Wilkins, shame you weren't posting then.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Overall a great success with a good atmosphere and plenty of excitement . Not a great performance , the defending was pretty bad , but thats something to work on in the next fortnight . The stands were pretty full and most stayed till the end:wink: which i thought was a good sign . Roll on the next one :thumbsup:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
If you are more interested and enjoy comparing attendance levels rather than what happens on the park then that's fair enough. It's whatever turns you on.

It's less than five years ago to when we were playing to crowds of 4,000 under Wilkins, shame you weren't posting then.
Anti English and pro Palace eh El-Pres? Nothing changes there i see. :wink:

No - I was not on here then I was on the BBS sticking up for the Albion not blowing smoke up Palace arses which seems to be your main contribution nowadays.

Plus I've got about 10 years on you watching the Albion which in my books makes you an Albion JCL - enjoy your internet from Manchester while I go up the Amex :thumbsup:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
You are Palace aren't you Bobkin ? I can smell 'em.

Yes I'm still lording it over the scum - with 4,000 kids at a £1 a pop plus groupon they still fell 4,000 below our worst home crowd. Plus they scrapped a home win over a side that we beat 3-1 away. Next up for them is Millwall at home which is always a laugh as about 6,000 of them will melt away from todays crowd .

Back to picking holes in everything Albion for you then ?

Um, no. Your senses are clearly off.

But good for you in continuing your quest in life to be the biggest Palace hater out there, and well done on all those extra years you have on the rest of us going to watch the team. Maybe TB could commission a special badge for you?

I'd be interested to know why you think I pick holes in "everything Albion".

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
From the highlights only, haven't seen Selhurst rocking like that for a while. But that's good, I think we can probably claim a lot of the credit for that. The resurgence of Brighton could be the best thing for Palace and their crowds and atmosphere for a while, now they have an incentive to do something about it.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
From the highlights only, haven't seen Selhurst rocking like that for a while. But that's good, I think we can probably claim a lot of the credit for that. The resurgence of Brighton could be the best thing for Palace and their crowds and atmosphere for a while, now they have an incentive to do something about it.

How ON EARTH could you possibly claim credit for Palace having a good atmosphere?

I suppose you want credit for the fantastic atmosphere in the cup game against Cardiff, too?

The reason that there was a great atmosphere at Selhurst yesterday is because we are winning every week at the moment. Not because of Brighton... :facepalm:

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Wonder how many palace fans would turn up if they were at withdean? 3,000.

30,000. Easily. Every week.

Nope, I've got no evidence for my guess either. Bit of a stupid question really.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
How ON EARTH could you possibly claim credit for Palace having a good atmosphere?

I suppose you want credit for the fantastic atmosphere in the cup game against Cardiff, too?

The reason that there was a great atmosphere at Selhurst yesterday is because we are winning every week at the moment. Not because of Brighton... :facepalm:

Be honest, you've looked at the 26,000 down the road and decided to react. I don't blame you, it's a good response. And it's improved your matchday atmosphere.

But don't get too carried away, you've had to win 6 out of 7 just to get above us. It's going to be a great rivalry this season. And I'm not one of these people who slates Zaha, he is quality and I said that before the September debacle last season. Amazingly on that occasion our supposed 'weak link', Taricco, had left the field before he cut loose.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004

Nothing to do with us I agree. More to do with the 1000's of freebies given away. This coupled with the Groupon gang I think probably accounts for another 4000.

13K for the next game.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
:lolol: because you've been on an internet forum for nine years you think you are a fan - I've been watching the Albion before you were born.

Its because we've been through the hard times that some know how to enjoy the good times. Sit on your hands and worry that it's all going to turn to jackshite if you like - I'm loving lording it over the scum. :thumbsup:

mmm,lording it eh

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here