Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Iconic Live Performances on video

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

I will kick off with The King.

As depicted in the film, Col Tom Parker wanted Elvis to finish the 68 Comeback Special with a Xmas number, but he insisted on this instead, singing to a nation, and beyond, against the backdrop of two high profile shootings, Martin Luther King and Bobby Kennedy, the Vietnam War, the Black Power Salute at the Olympics and serious civil unrest and rioting across the country.

50 or so years on, the poignant lyrics and performance of one of the greatest ever singers make this arguably one of the most iconic songs to be sung in the history of broadcasting.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Someone, somewhere has got Sunburst at the Pig in Paradise in 97 but as yet the Holy Grail hasn't been unearthed.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

For us this gig.
Lucky in getting free tickets that were frantically sought after by thousands of fans.
On our doorstep, 20 min drive and a great night of music.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is superb

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
When Reading was cool, Dinosaur Jr, Sonic Youth, Nirvana, Iggy Pop all at one festival.

I was there! Happy days!

This probably isn't iconic for most but it is for me. I was working in the pit between the crowd and the stage for this, something I've done for quite a few acts, some much bigger and more iconic, but the crowd in this was a goosebumps moment unlike any other I've experienced at such a large gig despite not loving the song or band particularly. During COVID I kept coming back to it - it felt like a shadow memory of life as it was, and could be, and needed to be again.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
He was involved, yes, but it was MINE really.

I'm glad we are not forgotten amongst the faithful. @Garry Nelson's Left Foot is another acolyte of ours.

(Genuinely gobsmacked that someone remembers this to be honest - NSC never ceases to amaze!)
Haha. I saw a few reincarnation of the band. I do recall the drummer being of particular talent.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
When Reading was cool, Dinosaur Jr, Sonic Youth, Nirvana, Iggy Pop all at one festival.

I was at that one.

If I remember rightly at the end of their set Dinosaur Jnr left the stage, swapped their nice guitars for shite ones, then smashed those in a rock 'n' roll stylee.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Saw this show in Manchester last month. Brilliant show and Peter still has got it at 73!!

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004

This is pretty much New Order at their zenith. They were second on the bill to Garbage, and Shirley Manson made a comment about 'how are we supposed to follow that?'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here