Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ian Holloway

Johnny Fever

Jan 11, 2010
Bollocks have they. Their best player cost £500,000 last summer for starters.

Apologies again Mr Badger. I took the quote from yesterday's paper (The Independent). Having now checked, the team cost in access of £700,000 to put together.
As you rightly point out, the media are desperate sometimes to overdo the rags to riches story and in this case the facts just got in the way of the story.

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
But you could say that about virtually any team. I mean when Man United start with the likes of Brown, Neville, Fletcher, Scholes, Giggs, Gibson, Macheda, and Owen you could say they play with a team that is basically FREE.

I just think this "amazing" story of Blackpool is being overdone a bit. Ok, they are a crappy little club with no fans and a ropey old ground, but they HAVE spent money, a lot more than many championship clubs in fact. They spent £500k on Charlie Adam, £400k on Taylor-Fletcher, £350k on the right-back from Oldham. They've also got people like Jason Euell and Bouazza who won't be on small money. They've done well, noone can deny that, but I just don't see it as the MIRACLE that many seem to.

Yes Charlie Adam cost a lot but he was their most expensive signing in their history and £500k is not a great deal of money for a promotion chasing team to the premiership.

Take Forest who they managed to overturn. Spent over a million on Blackstock, Earnshaw £2.65 million for starters.

You've got teams in the division below spending FAR more money than Blackpool have. Leeds, Southampton, Huddersfield. They still struggle to make it out of league one...

Blackpool have competed against teams far superior to them in stature and money so Holloways achievement is unbelievable :clap:

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
Apologies again Mr Badger. I took the quote from yesterday's paper (The Independent). Having now checked, the team cost in access of £700,000 to put together.
As you rightly point out, the media are desperate sometimes to overdo the rags to riches story and in this case the facts just got in the way of the story.

In access of £700,000? That's nothing.

Chopra cost £3,000,000 and Cardiff aren't even one of the biggest spenders in that division.

Johnny Fever

Jan 11, 2010
In access of £700,000? That's nothing.

Chopra cost £3,000,000 and Cardiff aren't even one of the biggest spenders in that division.

Very true, £700k these days is a very small investment for the level of success achieved.
Today's Independent on Sunday says that Blackpool have a policy of paying their players £62 a week in the off-season. Bloody hell if that's true they must really have some loyalty from the players.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
He is pretty spot on though isnt he? if you actually think about it....

I don,t recall actually disagreeing with him.

I just find it sad, that although most of us are aware that TCB is somewhat mentally challenged, he should choose to be his usual miserable self, when a manager such as Holloway has achieved promotion to the Premiership with such an unfashionable club.

It really does give hope to all supporters of clubs like us,throughout the football pyramid, that with the right man at the right time.....anything is possible.

Like 98% of football clubs throughout the world, we will never be Man Utd, Chelsea, Juventus or Real Madrid, with their millions of "supporters", billions of debt, or their illustrious histories.

Because Ferguson, Mouriniho, Ancellotti etc etc etc are managing clubs with huge squads, armies of trainers, coaches, surgeons, technology, multi-million pound training facilities, the best players in the world..............does that really mean they are "great" managers...?

I don't know....but I do know Holloway not only succeeded at Blackpool with a relatively small budget, he also succeeeded with a team, with average home gates of under 9000.....precious little history......and certainly not tyhe best players in the world. He gives hope to us all.

For that..........at the moment...........I believe he is a great manager and needs to receive warm accolades and not bitter remarks.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I don't know....but I do know Holloway not only succeeded at Blackpool with a relatively small budget, he also succeeeded with a team, with average home gates of under 9000.....precious little history......and certainly not tyhe best players in the world. He gives hope to us all.

For that..........at the moment...........I believe he is a great manager and needs to receive warm accolades and not bitter remarks.

You could say the same with the Adams/ Taylor side in the first few years at withdean.

I just think sometimes, by luck or skill or maybe both you get lucky with a squad of players who just click

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
You could say the same with the Adams/ Taylor side in the first few years at withdean.

I just think sometimes, by luck or skill or maybe both you get lucky with a squad of players who just click

This.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
But you could say that about virtually any team. I mean when Man United start with the likes of Brown, Neville, Fletcher, Scholes, Giggs, Gibson, Macheda, and Owen you could say they play with a team that is basically FREE.

I just think this "amazing" story of Blackpool is being overdone a bit. Ok, they are a crappy little club with no fans and a ropey old ground, but they HAVE spent money, a lot more than many championship clubs in fact. They spent £500k on Charlie Adam, £400k on Taylor-Fletcher, £350k on the right-back from Oldham. They've also got people like Jason Euell and Bouazza who won't be on small money. They've done well, noone can deny that, but I just don't see it as the MIRACLE that many seem to.

Macheda cost £1million from Lazio, but the rest are all good examples.

I like Holloway because he's honest, he's passionate and he loves football. But I don't think he's a particularly good manager, he's an ok manager who has put together a good team this season with players who can score goals, and with a defensive unit which didn't ship too many. He's done a good job at Blackpool, and he deserves his shot at the Premier League. But he's by no means an amazing manager. A bit like Paul Jewell, in my opinion. Able to put a good team together but also able to make no impact whatsoever (Leicester).

The thing that makes me laugh though, is that Blackpool got themselves into a flap when Grayson left them for Leeds. Well, I'd say they were better off without him!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The Premier League will be a better place for having both Blackpool and Mr Holloway, seldon have I been more pleased with a non Brighton promotion.

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
Holloway worked wonders at I believe Bristol Rovers before his strikers were sold from under his nose. He came to QPR at a time when we were in a really desperate position and helped turn us around and get us back into the Championship.

If I'm honest, I think he got to a point where he'd taken us as far as he could and whilst his departure was handled abysmally, it was probably the right decision. He has said he learnt an awful lot from his time in recent years including his time at Leicester and whilst he was on gardening leave and I think this has shown through in what he has now achieved with Blackpool.

I think it's a fantastic achievement. For him to do it against Cardiff is for me just the icing on the cake.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Macheda cost £1million from Lazio, but the rest are all good examples.

I like Holloway because he's honest, he's passionate and he loves football. But I don't think he's a particularly good manager, he's an ok manager who has put together a good team this season with players who can score goals, and with a defensive unit which didn't ship too many. He's done a good job at Blackpool, and he deserves his shot at the Premier League. But he's by no means an amazing manager. A bit like Paul Jewell, in my opinion. Able to put a good team together but also able to make no impact whatsoever (Leicester).

The thing that makes me laugh though, is that Blackpool got themselves into a flap when Grayson left them for Leeds. Well, I'd say they were better off without him!

You may be right about his Managerial credentials but what he does have is the ability to get average players to play as a team and to play for him. He must have something about him.

Personally I think it should give all smaller clubs some hope that the Premiership is achievable.

As for TCB's comments about the amount of money Blackpool have spent, £700,000 is a relatively small amount of money in football terms, and to use Manure to compare them with is just plain silly.

SeagullSi

Jan 10, 2010
There are very few managers that consistantly achieve success at every club they manage at. Good managers will be able to come back from the dissappointments they face. Holloway has done that and is a good manager but maybe not a great manager. Would be great if he kept them up next season but they will likely get blown away without serious investment

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here