Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

i360 £12m now predicted in income. Seems like will be a big success.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They took the wheel down because of it and I think that was a disgrace. The council have and are totally neglecting everything on the seafront east of the pier.

Not correct. The council granted the transportable wheel temporary planning permission. The wheel came down when the planning permission expired.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Not correct. The council granted the transportable wheel temporary planning permission. The wheel came down when the planning permission expired.

Agreed but when the Wheel applied for an extension i360 Ltd were very vocal in opposing the application. To the point that they kept banging on about an agreement with the council to ensure the Wheel was gone before the i360 started operating. Nothing like having a monopoly.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one

Come on HT! You know the score on this. They didn't grant the wheel another licence extension over fear it may take money from their i360. The council should never have agreed to the demands and not extend the wheel licence. Utterly daft decision IMO.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Come on HT! You know the score on this. They didn't grant the wheel another licence extension over fear it may take money from their i360. The council should never have agreed to the demands and not extend the wheel licence. Utterly daft decision IMO.

I genuinely don't know the reasons why it wasn't granted an extension. All I know is the wheel itself is transportable and temporary and it got a temporary five year license to operate.

That said if I was head of the council and saw a really beneficial opportunity for Brighton and it's tax-payers I'd ensure that it was taken and taken legally and fairly. This seems to be case given the wheel never had more than a 5 year consent.

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
I genuinely don't know the reasons why it wasn't granted an extension. All I know is the wheel itself is transportable and temporary and it got a temporary five year license to operate.

That said if I was head of the council and saw a really beneficial opportunity for Brighton and it's tax-payers I'd ensure that it was taken and taken legally and fairly. This seems to be case given the wheel never had more than a 5 year consent.

It was reported in the Argus that part of the agreement with the i360 being built was the wheel had to go as they did not want another attraction. the fact that as the council loaned the money it was in their interest to remove any competition. Seems a bit underhand

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It was reported in the Argus that part of the agreement with the i360 being built was the wheel had to go as they did not want another attraction. the fact that as the council loaned the money it was in their interest to remove any competition. Seems a bit underhand

The council didn't loan the money though. It's from the Public Works Loan Board (PWLB) .

Besides, had the council terminated the wheel's deal early I could understand criticism. But they only granted it 5 years and they were under no obligation to extend it. Unfortunately for the wheel, but fortunately for Brighton and it's tax-payers, a better deal then came along.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
My word there's some miserable ***** on this site. Whilst it's still early days it's seemingly on track to deliver and to date has pretty much hit all its targets from sponsorship (BA is an incredible sponsor to have secured for many reasons) through to initial customer figures. I'm willing to bet you a champagne ride on on the i360 it will still be successful in 2017/18.

I'm not saying it won't be, just think its far far too early for anyone to know if it will be a success or not.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I'm glad the wheel has gone. It was shit.

I miss the wheel. I think it looked great. Better than that chimney with a donut round it.

Shame they couldn't have had both though.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
They should have done a double ticket thing -Wheel and i360 for 20notes. I am a fan of the i360 but I liked the wheel too.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There's a brilliant 4 page article about the i360 in the October BA in-flight magazine. The world will know all about Brighton now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here