Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I want to sing this when Nigel Adkins walks over the turf to the dug-out............

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Oh when the Saints
Go marching in
Oh when the Saints go marching in
As one of the back numbers
When the Saints go marching in.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Can't we just clap/cheer Gus and the boys as we do every week in the safe knowledge that we are the best team in the league and wait until Adkins steps out of the dug out to shout abuse at him as per usual. Does he really deserve/need special treatment from what we give every other oppo manager let alone a bloody song about him

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I am sure he will be flattered that you went to so much trouble though.

Whatever the song is, I am sure Nigel and the team will be dead chuffed and flattered that you went to so much trouble.
Then we'll just have to improve on the "Nigel Adkins is a wanker" chants that follow. Maybe a nice simple chant of 'Losers, losers, losers' to finish.

If he's still flattered after that, then let him be, he's clearly having a rough time of it.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
It's unlikely but if they've totally ballsed up the autos by then - We're going up, we're going up, you're not, you're not!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Hoping to Create a banner reading the following:
(note i've made that date up - cant be arsed to check it - you get the idea)

23rd Nov 2010 - Q - Will Brighton be your main challengers for promotion

Adkins - If they can keep up with us

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Taking the time to read the match report AND listen to the interview? :glare:
What has he got against Jason Puncheon? It does seem a bit odd that he is now on loan playing in the Premiership while Adkins has got injury problems while doing his best to be the second best team in division three. ???

klaaturberada

Jan 2, 2011
What has he got against Jason Puncheon? It does seem a bit odd that he is now on loan playing in the Premiership while Adkins has got injury problems while doing his best to be the second best team in division three. ???
Jason Puncheon is doing a good job at Blackpool, but (by all accounts) is a bit of a difficult character to deal with. I suspect that is why Plymouth gave him the big E also. He had a bust up with Crosby and went off to Millwall, came back, probably had some other altercation and then was off to Blackpool. I think the feeling now is that he aint worth the hassle and they would rather he was somebody elses problem. If he moves to Blackpool, I won't be surprised to hear of some major bust-up with Holloway in the not too distant future......all libellous heresay I hasten to add.

klaaturberada

Jan 2, 2011
Mr klaaturberada - what do you think of Adkins ? Clearly he can't say anything on here mithout causing offence - but do you like him as your manager ?

Well, he seems to be doing a pretty good job at the moment. Clearly not as good as Poyet and Brighton, but then nobody is at the moment. Adkins brief is to get Southampton promoted and at the moment at least they/we are handily placed to get second spot. Some of his interviews are a bit tiresome though, because he comes out with the same soundbites every time (well almost). He certainly is no Ian Holloway or Gordon Strachan in the post match entertainment stakes. However, his style is to keep banging on about the same thing, drumming it in, being consistent in his message to the fans and the team. I am sure that is the sports psychologist in him. He seems to know what he is doing in my view, so at the moment I am happy have him at the helm.

The comment that seems to have irked most people here is the "If they can keep up with us" answer to a question about whether or not Brighton would be the main rivals for promotion. It was an off the cuff response from a person toeing the party line. He was newish to the job and wanted to continue to instill the proper mindset. He was trying to be positive from an SFC perspective, not derogatory to BHA. He said what Cortese would expect him to say. Poyets comments after the same game were not exactly complimentary were they? He didn't give SFC any credit for battering his team in the first half - he just concentrated on the positives for his team: "Nobody can press Brighton like that for 90 minutes" was the only acknowledgment of the way SFC played for 60 minutes. He said what I would expect him to say to be honest.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Well, he seems to be doing a pretty good job at the moment. Clearly not as good as Poyet and Brighton, but then nobody is at the moment. Adkins brief is to get Southampton promoted and at the moment at least they/we are handily placed to get second spot. Some of his interviews are a bit tiresome though, because he comes out with the same soundbites every time (well almost). He certainly is no Ian Holloway or Gordon Strachan in the post match entertainment stakes. However, his style is to keep banging on about the same thing, drumming it in, being consistent in his message to the fans and the team. I am sure that is the sports psychologist in him. He seems to know what he is doing in my view, so at the moment I am happy have him at the helm.

The comment that seems to have irked most people here is the "If they can keep up with us" answer to a question about whether or not Brighton would be the main rivals for promotion. It was an off the cuff response from a person toeing the party line. He was newish to the job and wanted to continue to instill the proper mindset. He was trying to be positive from an SFC perspective, not derogatory to BHA. He said what Cortese would expect him to say. Poyets comments after the same game were not exactly complimentary were they? He didn't give SFC any credit for battering his team in the first half - he just concentrated on the positives for his team: "Nobody can press Brighton like that for 90 minutes" was the only acknowledgment of the way SFC played for 60 minutes. He said what I would expect him to say to be honest.

Thanks for that. I think I would probably feel the same. Poyet is not Mr Popular with opposition supporters either. The imaginary cards are what irks people. However there is a charm to Poyet that makes people smile. Adkins is not like that.

From the outside you would think Adkins should get his team to where they are. League places are usually in line with what is spent. I suppose the test will be next year. But again that is a division that he knows.

Poyet is a one-off. Well maybe a two-off with Lambert. We are just lucky to have him. In another season Adkins predictions may well have come to pass.

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I think he should be greeted to Withdean with a massive banner saying "Brighton salutes League 1's champions of hearts: Southampton FC". Sarcasm, like peanut butter over here, should be spread thickly IMHO.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Making plans for Nigel by XTC (With a few changes to suit)

We're only winning the league title
We only want the championship
We're only making plans for trophies
Nigel just needs this helping hand
And if young nigel says he's happy
He must be happy
He must be happy
He must be happy, in his world
We're only making fun of nigel
He has his future in a shitty team
We're only making plans for nigel
Nigel's whole future is as good as sealed