Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I want the glory of promotion....but am indifferent to playing in the Prem

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Disagree entirely. I've had my fair share of tiers 2,3 & 4 through the 30 years of following BHA in my lifetime.

There are far more positives to promotion, especially if we can find some stability up there. Each victory will feel that much more special as we will be underdogs in most games, we will get to play potentially palace, southampton and bournemouth, quality of player we can attract will improve. Then there are the potential cup runs.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
In case you hadn't realized TB is losing millions every season we spend in the Championship. Even if we get hammered every week it is necessary.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Does anyone else feel like this?

Don't get me wrong, I am desperate for us to win as many games as we can and get in the top 2. Or the playoffs are great drama and potentially glorious. The celebrations would be epic either way :drink::clap2::drink:.

But I can take or leave playing in the Prem next season:
- 8 fewer match days
- Less Saturday 3pms
- More expensive away tickets
- Let's face it, we're not going to win many
- More diving, cheating players and whinging managers

The pros would be:
- great to have a full Amex every week.
- see the top teams
- financial security for the club and a deserved return for Tony
- some subsidy for away travel (I believe)

On balance, I am indifferent to the PL.

The media bang on about the £100m+ etc., and of course a lot of people at the Club would benefit financially. But it is irrelevant at best to the fans.

It's all about the glory.

PG
I have no interest in the premier league and no interest in the so called big clubs arriving at the Amex...why would you when you support BHA?
The Premiership is a pile of shite and clubs are only interested in the money side and you can see why.The only joys I would get from the prem is seeing Tony bloom get some reward for what he's done.

Don't go to many games as it is and one things for sure I won't be going to any premier league games if we go up.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
I agreed with OP up to this season but seeing how the prem has opened up this season heartens me. The new TV deal means that the huge bulk of a teams income will come from there so smaller clubs will have incomes closer to the larger clubs making a significantly more level playing field. I think with good governance we will be a mid prem team which means sometimes we will flirt with relegation and sometimes with Europe. Not forgetting cup runs. On balance I am starting to think the Prem might not be as bad as I had feared and also how long can TB continue to hand the club 10mill a year?

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I was at Newcastle on my 16th birthday and it was totally glorious. There were some great days of course in the top flight (winning at Spurs sticks in the mind). But a lot of it was a bit meh, frankly (not that we used that word then of course). The 'experience' gap was much less than now.

One other thing that's better about the Champ - you get some better days out for pubs etc. (Bristol this week a case in point). Nearly all big cities in the Prem.

PG

Likewise, I was a 16 year old at Newcastle and was really excited about getting into the top division. However, I spent the next couple of years with a Saturday job that meant that I didn't go to many games in Division 1 and got out of the habit.

I've always enjoyed the second tier most, but still want us to have another shot at the top division despite expecting it to be less enjoyable than the Championship.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I have no interest in the premier league and no interest in the so called big clubs arriving at the Amex...why would you when you support BHA?
The Premiership is a pile of shite and clubs are only interested in the money side and you can see why.The only joys I would get from the prem is seeing Tony bloom get some reward for what he's done.

Don't go to many games as it is and one things for sure I won't be going to any premier league games if we go up.

So you give the club nothing and want to continue watching them on the TV in the Championship whilst TB writes off 10m a year?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Have to say I agree with a lot of the posters on this thread (including Sir Albion, for once!). I think the Championship is a great, competitive league. I would love us to get promotion, of course, and play the 'big' teams, but I have no affection for the Premier League whatsoever.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Have to say I agree with a lot of the posters on this thread (including Sir Albion, for once!). I think the Championship is a great, competitive league. I would love us to get promotion, of course, and play the 'big' teams, but I have no affection for the Premier League whatsoever.

Wait till Albion stay up for a while and actually compete,best league in the world this is :lolol:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Wait till Albion stay up for a while and actually compete,best league in the world this is :lolol:

I think the model to follow would be Southampton (or Leicester!). I guess if they can do it then maybe we can.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I think the model to follow would be Southampton (or Leicester!). I guess if they can do it then maybe we can.

I used to think Charlton was our role model,still thing is i know exactly what the OP means,but no matter what i want us to get there,and be among the vermin..

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Whilst I would not be happy with Div 1 or2 football I think Championship is outstanding. The entertainment and quality on offer will always see me renewing season ticket. Not that worried about premiership it would be good to see for as long as it lasted. However above all I would be so pleased for Tony Bloom. Not only would he achieve his ambition but with parachute payments club would be on financial footing,

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Great post, I totally agree. Particularly having less matches, it's kind of a con isn't it. Need a good cup run to make up for that.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Whilst I would not be happy with Div 1 or2 football I think Championship is outstanding. The entertainment and quality on offer will always see me renewing season ticket. Not that worried about premiership it would be good to see for as long as it lasted. However above all I would be so pleased for Tony Bloom. Not only would he achieve his ambition but with parachute payments club would be on financial footing,

Totally agree.

That's the big conundrum facing all fans who remember football pre-1992.

We want to win all our games so it follows that we want promotion.

We DON'T want to wallow in the Premier League pit, populated by over-paid prima donnas and run by men in suits who only care for the bottom line.

How very true. I came in right at the end of the Divison 1 "Glory Years?" first match on New Year's Day '83 (and Ward scored, back on loan from Forest). I too have misgivings, with the English Premiership First Division League I suspect the journey to it may be more enjoyable than the destination.

However I would love to be there with Youngest Potting if/when we do it - v Derby perhaps - it was exciting enough being able to share the "first time she had seen Zamora score" moment!

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
The last time we reached the promised land it was a bit of an anti climax really as we're getting beat and drawing a few games so I'm with you in a way
The fun is getting promoted then it's a war of attrition staying up the following year
I hope I'm wrong if we do get there

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I agree with the op. I couldn't care less about being in the premier league and in some ways resent having less games to go to when that day arrives. And as for or being the best league in the world? Only in Sky's eyes and their deluded followers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here