Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I want the glory of promotion....but am indifferent to playing in the Prem

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
The top flight was always a closed shop in the potential to succeed though.

If you look at the 23 years prior to the Premier League there were only seven different winners with one massively dominant team (Liverpool 11 titles).

We are in the 23rd year of the Premier League and the pattern is pretty much the same. Five different winners so far but Leicester could make it six this season. (The dominant team of the era were obviously Man Utd.)

You could argue that there are now more opportunities for promoted teams than when we last went up as there are far more European berths up for grabs.

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
Would the amex be full every week? If we can't sell out against leeds or derby now, will we sell out against Stoke or Bournemouth in the prem?

Maybe they'd sell out as more likely chances to see the Albion win? Optimistic I know :/

But anyhow the way the club is being run from the grass roots up - the geographical / cultural factors included as well as silly things like Brighton being voted one of the world's ten must-visits in 2016 (!!!) - perhaps all this stuff is happening in tandem.

I remember being a teenager when we were dire, and homeless... and I thought to myself 'I will never ever see this team flirt with any kind of success'... I now consider that attitude turned on it's head. It is spectacular... Oliver Twist begs for more!!

And a yo-yo club managed right, rather than boom and bust, is a great template for success imo. The slow ones now will later be fast, for the times they are a'changin'!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
One other thing that's better about the Champ - you get some better days out for pubs etc. (Bristol this week a case in point). Nearly all big cities in the Prem.

PG

And Bristol isn't a big city? Only the eighth largest in England! (and three of the top seven don't have PL teams anyway)

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
And if we're playing in the top 20 of the country, we are surely in with a shout for trophies like the FA cup/league cup.

The OP does indeed strike a chord with me, but I think this comment is spot on - if we make it to the top league then we will indeed attract better players that would significantly increase our chances of getting to a cup final and having another magical day out at Wembley and bring home a trophy !

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Teams like Palace thought that, only to simply stagnate in mid table obscurity with no hope of winning anything.

Careful - it pains me to say that Palace have a good chance of getting to the cup final this year with the quarter final draw they have - then anything can happen ! :facepalm:

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
The OP does indeed strike a chord with me, but I think this comment is spot on - if we make it to the top league then we will indeed attract better players that would significantly increase our chances of getting to a cup final and having another magical day out at Wembley and bring home a trophy !

Maybe it is my age but I feel the fun we enjoyed on Tuesday in Bristol IS what it's all about, passion, singing and a great win. It becomes more sanitised further up the greasy pole, and singeing past it players with attitude (I don't mean the likes of Adebayor) is something we have already flirted with and it caused a commotion even at this lowly level.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Does anyone else feel like this?

Don't get me wrong, I am desperate for us to win as many games as we can and get in the top 2. Or the playoffs are great drama and potentially glorious. The celebrations would be epic either way :drink::clap2::drink:.

But I can take or leave playing in the Prem next season:
- 8 fewer match days
- Less Saturday 3pms
- More expensive away tickets
- Let's face it, we're not going to win many
- More diving, cheating players and whinging managers

The pros would be:
- great to have a full Amex every week.
- see the top teams
- financial security for the club and a deserved return for Tony
- some subsidy for away travel (I believe)

On balance, I am indifferent to the PL.

The media bang on about the £100m+ etc., and of course a lot of people at the Club would benefit financially. But it is irrelevant at best to the fans.

It's all about the glory.

PG

Can't argue with that. I don't really like the Premiership.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Money for the club? You mean more money for players and agents.

No. I think we'll try and do it the right way. Splash some cash but not too much.

I seem to be on my own in this but I find this thread a little embarassing.

Best League in the world, but you'd rather us play in a lesser league so we can win more games?

Give over.

It's not like it was. We won't be competitive

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bring on the PL. Next season, any season, yes please! Those of a younger generation can only imagine the thrill when Sports Report sometimes began with James Alexander Gordon reading out, "Football League, division 1: Brighton ............." Us. Little old Brighton, first team mentioned on Sports Report! (When Arsenal and Aston Villa weren't playing at home, of course)

I want that thrill again (though sadly it will have to be without James Alexander Gordon). And if it takes a few years of being a bounce club before we establish ourselves firmly in the top flight, that's fine by me - excitement all the time!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I dont understand the negativity given that we are not there yet.

Why all closed minds and its going to be all doom and gloom. Why not an open mind and see how it is when we get there it may actually be more enjoyable than you currently think.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I dont understand the negativity given that we are not there yet.

Why all closed minds and its going to be all doom and gloom. Why not an open mind and see how it is when we get there it may actually be more enjoyable than you currently think.

I've chosen my words carefully in the OP. I don't think it would all be gloom and doom. There are pros and cons. But I really enjoy doing well in the Champ and I'm not convinced I would enjoy it more in the Prem. What I would definitely enjoy is the glory of getting there.

One other thing I thought of in favour of the PL for me, is going to some of the big grounds with my 3 boys, who haven't been to many of them. That Villa trip was great for that a few years ago ditto Spurs in the FA Cup a few years ago. Mind you we could well do Villa, Newcastle and Sunderland in the Champ next season(!)

PG

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I heard the powers that be are planning to abolish relegation from the Premier

When the Americans finally take over 1 more club, they will have the majority to do this...

Personally I agree 100% with the OP

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I kind of agree with the op. I want the glory of getting there and the joy of locking horns with the big boys for a season.
I love the championship though. I reserve the right to alter my opinion if we get there

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I kind of agree with the op. I want the glory of getting there and the joy of locking horns with the big boys for a season.
I love the championship though. I reserve the right to alter my opinion if we get there

You must be female..

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Great thread! Thought about this many times. Really enjoyed watching us this year and would love us to get promoted but don't want us to be next years Aston Villa.
First watched Brighton as a 10 year old mid 70s which was great but don't really remember too many specifics. Couldn't afford to go to away games.
Would be happy with being competitive in the championship again next year but only if sustainable for the club.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Teams like Palace thought that, only to simply stagnate in mid table obscurity with no hope of winning anything.

They've only been up there 2 and a half seasons!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here