Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I want the glory of promotion....but am indifferent to playing in the Prem

el punal

Don't get me wrong, I'll be renewing my season ticket (I've been going since 71). But I'm not convinced I'll enjoy it any more than I already do.

PG
With you on this. It was great to get into the first division back in 1979, but I absolutely loved the actual "getting there". For me, my most enjoyable times following the Albion were the years from 1976 - 1979. Some those magical Goldstone nights were unforgettable - Palace 76 (2-0), Derby, Walsall (7-0), Sheffield Wednesday for starters, and were never really replicated in the top flight. Having said that, I still get a fantastic buzz watching the Albion, maybe not so much "jumpee up and downee" - the old bones can't take it!

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
With you on this. It was great to get into the first division back in 1979, but I absolutely loved the actual "getting there". For me, my most enjoyable times following the Albion were the years from 1976 - 1979. Some those magical Goldstone nights were unforgettable - Palace 76 (2-0), Derby, Walsall (7-0), Sheffield Wednesday for starters, and were never really replicated in the top flight. Having said that, I still get a fantastic buzz watching the Albion, maybe not so much "jumpee up and downee" - the old bones can't take it!

Agreed. Although I still manage a good "jumpee up and downee"! 76-79 were the great years, we did seem to win at home every week.

PG

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I seem to be on my own in this but I find this thread a little embarassing.

Best League in the world, but you'd rather us play in a lesser league so we can win more games?

Give over.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How did you feel in 1979?

I went and it was an amazing day, really amazing. As a Beano reading kid at the time my over-riding thought was that Brighton would have a full double page and individual player stickers in Panini for the first time. That and my father taking me to all the big famous grounds. I've stopped the Beano for The Guardian and been to most grounds now....not sure promotion will be the same.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I went and it was an amazing day, really amazing. As a Beano reading kid at the time my over-riding thought was that Brighton would have a full double page and individual player stickers in Panini for the first time. That and my father taking me to all the big famous grounds. I've stopped the Beano for The Guardian and been to most grounds now....not sure promotion will be the same.

I't won't be,football has changed but that said for the younger fans of today who have never experienced the terraces and such like,it will too for them be amazing and this is what it's all about...i will still be delighted and will relish a rear guard action staying up.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Don't forget all the (Sussex born) closet Arsenal/Chelsea/ManU supporters in the home stands.

Think they already are.

Not Prem League as such but just noticed on Soccer AM that the price of a program at the Cup final today is £10. TEN **** Pounds!! I know its not compulsory to buy one but feel sorry for dads who feel obliged to buy them for the kids.It will be expensive next year,

Having said that I still want to be there to play the best. We will lose more than we win but there will be the odd upset.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I share many of the feelings expressed by the OP. However, my over riding desire is to win back to back PL and Champions League (yeah, right). In order for us to ever have any (tiny) chance of that sort of success, we have to have world class players - ergo, we have to be in the top 4 of the PL. To get there, we need promotion. There will be many times that I get angry about the specifics of being in the PL, and, quite possibly, we'll bounce between the leagues for a few years; but, big picture, guys. Big picture.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
The majority of us "oldies" know what it's like to play at the top level. It would be nice for our "Under 40s" to know what it's like

They must be fed up with us banging on about the "Good old days" :).

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Every time someone calls it the promised land, my teeth start grinding to be honest.

Lots of money to splash on mercenary kickaballs, who will make the excesses of Kemy seem a fond and distant memory, counterbalanced by the hope of signing a younger and fitter Vicente, or watching a local youngster come through and shine at that level.

Football is always full of highs and lows, during the highs you marvel at the football, during the lows you take solace in the camaraderie and gallows humour of your fellow sufferers.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I understand where the OP is coming from but there is just a chance for greater times ahead for our beloved club as long as we get to the promised land. Stay in the Championship and we do not get the chance. Yes, it all ended in tears last time we were there but the Albion is a very different prospect these days. Still remember that day at Newcastle and how we all felt such joy and pride. Like to experience that again before I get a ticket in the stadium in the sky.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I kind of know what the op means but recent years have given me hope that being in the prem wouldn't simply be a yearly struggle to avoid relegation. Leicester are the obvious ones to look to. Then there was Wigan winning the FA cup, Birmingham the league cup. With the training ground and the club's sensible approach to everything, we might just be a bit more competitive than we imagine.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Does anyone else feel like this?

Don't get me wrong, I am desperate for us to win as many games as we can and get in the top 2. Or the playoffs are great drama and potentially glorious. The celebrations would be epic either way :drink::clap2::drink:.

But I can take or leave playing in the Prem next season:
- 8 fewer match days
- Less Saturday 3pms
- More expensive away tickets
- Let's face it, we're not going to win many
- More diving, cheating players and whinging managers

The pros would be:
- great to have a full Amex every week.
- see the top teams
- financial security for the club and a deserved return for Tony
- some subsidy for away travel (I believe)

On balance, I am indifferent to the PL.

The media bang on about the £100m+ etc., and of course a lot of people at the Club would benefit financially. But it is irrelevant at best to the fans.

It's all about the glory.

PG

That's the big conundrum facing all fans who remember football pre-1992.

We want to win all our games so it follows that we want promotion.

We DON'T want to wallow in the Premier League pit, populated by over-paid prima donnas and run by men in suits who only care for the bottom line.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I kind of know what the op means but recent years have given me hope that being in the prem wouldn't simply be a yearly struggle to avoid relegation. Leicester are the obvious ones to look to. Then there was Wigan winning the FA cup, Birmingham the league cup. With the training ground and the club's sensible approach to everything, we might just be a bit more competitive than we imagine.

We might be better suited to the Prem than the Champ? i can understand that,maybe wishful thinking but also let's face it,we have most of the off the field attributes to do well..

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Would the amex be full every week? If we can't sell out against leeds or derby now, will we sell out against Stoke or Bournemouth in the prem?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
We might be better suited to the Prem than the Champ? i can understand that,maybe wishful thinking but also let's face it,we have most of the off the field attributes to do well..

No, I don't think we'd be better suited to the premier league but that it might not be as dull as I sometimes think it might be. TB hasn't just chucked money at the team in a desperate attempt to go up, he's been building and hopefully we'll start to see the fruits of that like Southampton have with their set up.

And if we're playing in the top 20 of the country, we are surely in with a shout for trophies like the FA cup/league cup.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You're not on your own OP, I feel the same way. The travelling is better than the destination, sometimes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here