Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I thought it was a done deal, but maybe not

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
While I don't think they will go down this thread has reminded me of the wonderful season when they were 8 points clear of Oldham with only three games to go...and got relegated. It would be a beautiful thing if they managed to do something similar again.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
While I don't think they will go down this thread has reminded me of the wonderful season when they were 8 points clear of Oldham with only three games to go...and got relegated. It would be a beautiful thing if they managed to do something similar again.

I think many current Palace fans are in fear of the repetition of that season. Lets hope that fear also gets to their players.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Away wins:-

Leicester 2
Sunderland 2
Burnley 1
Hull 1
'Boro 1

You'd like to think, over the course of 18 games, the Albion could do better than that.

You will soon find out how hard it is to earn away points in the Premier League. The referees do not help - the so-called smaller teams always seem to be on the end of rough decisions away from home.

For a newly-promoted team, it is vital you win most of your home games *not draw) against teams likely to finish in the bottom half. Burnley have done that THIS season but failed to do this in 2014/15.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
This is the bit I don't get about the 'we'll be alright' brigade.

The bottom half of the table isn't shite.
palace (16) to West Brom (8) are all varying levels of better than the Albion.

I'd like to think we could give Watford, Burnley and perhaps Bournemouth a run for their money.
But they'll all be getting stronger from a position of strength.

Swapping places with Sunderland, Boro & Hull has to rate as one of the worst years to go up.

I firmly believe the Albion is perfectly set up to have a good run at the division, I just can't see next season as the time to get a toe hold.
I'm hoping the, "there won't be wholesale changes," message issued by the club is just to help our negotiations with new players. We can't look desperate to sign players. They do, after all, have a history of keeping information in house - wasn't Sam Baldock due to return for Birmingham, and if not, definitely QPR?

CH will realise that this squad will not survive in the PL, and that several quality signings are necessary.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
You will soon find out how hard it is to earn away points in the Premier League. The referees do not help - the so-called smaller teams always seem to be on the end of rough decisions away from home.

For a newly-promoted team, it is vital you win most of your home games *not draw) against teams likely to finish in the bottom half. Burnley have done that THIS season but failed to do this in 2014/15.

image001.jpg

I always thought it was finish above the bottom 3.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex

I'd like to think we could give Watford, Burnley and perhaps Bournemouth a run for their money.

Swapping places with Sunderland, Boro & Hull has to rate as one of the worst years to go up.

I firmly believe the Albion is perfectly set up to have a good run at the division, I just can't see next season as the time to get a toe hold.

It's a very tight middle of the prem this year, Palace are 4 points from 4th from bottom but 3 points from 9th ! I read on hear about the dross teams at the bottom whereas the truth is there is very small margins between most teams bar Sunderland and the top 6.

It's not as easy as some on the NSC think it will be.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

Maybe. I am looking at Hull/Swansea, Bournemouth, Palace, Burnley, PO winner as contenders to finish below us and Newcastle may not get the funds Benitez wants, wouldn't be surprised to see a bit of a rumpus there with bad start, new manager etc etc. And there is a chance that one team gets in trouble from on high (Leicester pre Shakespeare and Swansea this season).

But your point is well made. It does look tough, away wins will be at a premium.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe. I am looking at Hull/Swansea, Bournemouth, Palace, Burnley, PO winner as contenders to finish below us and Newcastle may not get the funds Benitez wants, wouldn't be surprised to see a bit of a rumpus there with bad start, new manager etc etc. And there is a chance that one team gets in trouble from on high (Leicester pre Shakespeare and Swansea this season).

But your point is well made. It does look tough, away wins will be at a premium.

Oddly I think I have more confidence in the club and manager than the team, who I really flip flop about.

The self-destructive nature of other clubs shouldn't be overlooked.

Hopefully it'll be fun.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So time to bounce this thread. So far, so good.

According to Oddschecker, chances of a Palace relegation since their 5-0 spanking at Citeh have gone from 25/1 to a best priced 16/1. Still unlikely, but a little bit more likely than a week ago.

On the face of it, Hull's result was a disaster for us hoping Palace go down. But actually, it isn't. Last week was all about needing Palace to be beaten and Swansea (the 3rd bottom team at the time) to get a result - both happened.

This week, Hull are third bottom, and for a Palace relegation to occur, two things need to happen:
1) Swansea need at least point, ideally three. They are at relegated Sunderland. Perhaps not the gimme everyone thought they might have been before they turned over Hull, but at least it is plausible.
2) Hull absolutely HAVE to beat Palace. Actually, they'd be needing a win regardless of the opposition, but since it is Palace, it will have the happy coincidence of dragging Palace into the relegation battle for certain.

I will be doing my bit by lumping on the Sunderland/Palace double chance - only 6/4 but a tenner on that outcome returns £25, and if you lose your money, a Palace relegation might well be on the cards and leave the table like this:

Palace 38 (-17ish)
Swansea 38 (-27ish)
-----------
Hull 37 (-31ish)

With these final games remaining:
Hull v Spurs
Swansea v West Brom
Man Utd v Palace

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Hull v Spurs
Swansea v West Brom
Man Utd v Palace

A Hull win at Palace this weekend and it's really game on.

Spurs and West Brom will probably have nothing to play for, while ManUre could very well be scrapping for 4th place.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Jesse Lingard sending palace down would be sweet for sure.

"In the space of 2 mins it has all changed at the bottom. Ashley Barnes putting Burnley ahead, and now the goal from Lingard at Old Trafford drops Palace into th3 bottom 3."

Just typing that has caused me to let a small wee out.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
So time to bounce this thread. So far, so good.

According to Oddschecker, chances of a Palace relegation since their 5-0 spanking at Citeh have gone from 25/1 to a best priced 16/1. Still unlikely, but a little bit more likely than a week ago.

On the face of it, Hull's result was a disaster for us hoping Palace go down. But actually, it isn't. Last week was all about needing Palace to be beaten and Swansea (the 3rd bottom team at the time) to get a result - both happened.

This week, Hull are third bottom, and for a Palace relegation to occur, two things need to happen:
1) Swansea need at least point, ideally three. They are at relegated Sunderland. Perhaps not the gimme everyone thought they might have been before they turned over Hull, but at least it is plausible.
2) Hull absolutely HAVE to beat Palace. Actually, they'd be needing a win regardless of the opposition, but since it is Palace, it will have the happy coincidence of dragging Palace into the relegation battle for certain.

I will be doing my bit by lumping on the Sunderland/Palace double chance - only 6/4 but a tenner on that outcome returns £25, and if you lose your money, a Palace relegation might well be on the cards and leave the table like this:

Palace 38 (-17ish)
Swansea 38 (-27ish)
-----------
Hull 37 (-31ish)

Hull v Spurs
Swansea v West Brom
Man Utd v Palace

You're right about hulls last result, it is a disaster. Hull now need to win both their games inc Spurs at home. If hull beat palace and Draw with spurs (assuming palace lose at Utd) palace survive on GD. If only Hull had won last weekend :-(

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You're right about hulls last result, it is a disaster. Hull now need to win both their games inc Spurs at home. If hull beat palace and Draw with spurs (assuming palace lose at Utd) palace survive on GD. If only Hull had won last weekend :-(

You are correct, but that is the one permutation where it matters. Seeing as Spurs lost 5-0 at relegated Newcastle last season, I'm not convinced it will matter. I think it's more likely that Mourinho will do a Wagner and play an unreasonably crap side against Palace, allowing them to scab a result.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Even if they'd got a draw then they could have stayed up with a win vs Palace and a draw vs Spurs. Now they need two wins.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here