Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I thought it was a done deal, but maybe not

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
You are correct, but that is the one permutation where it matters. Seeing as Spurs lost 5-0 at relegated Newcastle last season, I'm not convinced it will matter. I think it's more likely that Mourinho will do a Wagner and play an unreasonably crap side against Palace, allowing them to scab a result.

Utd won't if they are a result away from finishing 4th!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Utd won't if they are a result away from finishing 4th!

I heard Mourinho on the radio yesterday about his team selection against Arsenal and he said he already realised top 4 wasn't possible and thus with the cup return against celta vigo he rested players. Then when I looked at the table I wonder what the hell he's on about, it was definitely on before yesterday??? But first things first. COME ON HULL!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
They are not going down and worryingly they currently have a much better squad than us and a manager who is just as good as ours, maybe better ( do I need a tin hat with that comment?) Set up nicely for next season....

Accurate comment at the time, and looks even better a week later. (Apart perhaps from the 'not going down' bit!) :)

Leaving aside all the usual rivalry nonsense and looking at it dispassionately Palace have a much, much stronger squad than we do presently. They have at about five or six players (led by Benteke, Zaha and Townsend) who would walk into our first team. Not only that we'd rave about them and there would be many threads and posts on here saying they're the best players ever to play for the club. And those posters would be right. And yet Palace are only two bad results away from being relegated!

I'm NOT writing us off before a ball has been kicked, but looking at Palace it shows the type of recruitment we need just to finish fourth from bottom.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Accurate comment at the time, and looks even better a week later. (Apart perhaps from the 'not going down' bit!) :)

Leaving aside all the usual rivalry nonsense and looking at it dispassionately Palace have a much, much stronger squad than we do presently. They have at about five or six players (led by Benteke, Zaha and Townsend) who would walk into our first team. Not only that we'd rave about them and there would be many threads and posts on here saying they're the best players ever to play for the club. And those posters would be right. And yet Palace are only two bad results away from being relegated!

I'm NOT writing us off before a ball has been kicked, but looking at Palace it shows the type of recruitment we need just to finish fourth from bottom.
Bournemouth, Watford, Burnley have all spent way less the Palace and did ok.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Bournemouth, Watford, Burnley have all spent way less the Palace and did ok.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I wasn't talking about the cost, simply the quality. Hopefully we can find the new Troy Deaney.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003

I think Palace have proved that being the 8th biggest spenders in the last 5 seasons does not mean you'll finish anywhere near 8th.

However, the 2 away wins we have achieved at the top 12 sides this season shows that we are going to need to invest in 'several' good quality players if we are going to have any chance next season.

If we start with anything like the team we finished this season with, we are going to really struggle.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
This is not a rivalry based dig but I really think Palace will always suffer due to their old wooden ground and lower league training set up.

Do you honestly think Cabaye and Benteke really imagined that's where they'd end up? No way. Will this effect performances. I reckon so.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As it stand Hull must win at palace, tomorrow, to keep relegation at bay.

theboybilly

This is not a rivalry based dig but I really think Palace will always suffer due to their old wooden ground and lower league training set up.

Do you honestly think Cabaye and Benteke really imagined that's where they'd end up? No way. Will this effect performances. I reckon so.

Benteke and Cabaye will have both known of the facilities at Selhurst after playing there for other teams and will have seen Palace's training ground at Beckenham when they signed up.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Being paid more money than any other team would pay and not living in the shithole that is Selhurst is probably enough motivation. We will need to strengthen significantly to turn around our rather shit record against Palace in recent years though.

There is absolutely no way they are going down imo.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
One reason for hope tomorrow, Burnley have beaten Palace at Selhurst, Swansea have beaten Palace at Selhurst, and even Sunderland have beaten Palace at Selhurst.

Take heart Hull, you know you can do it!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Being paid more money than any other team would pay and not living in the shithole that is Selhurst is probably enough motivation. We will need to strengthen significantly to turn around our rather shit record against Palace in recent years though.

There is absolutely no way they are going down imo.

Yes we will need to strengthen but Palace's finer playing assets, of which there aren't many (as has been shown in recent weeks) will potentially get picked off by other clubs over the summer.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I might have a little punt on palace a win or draw, that should make the last week interesting.

#NegativeBetting.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But also if Hull do win, it is ON.
In fairness if it weren't for my rabid myopia they're no way I'd be able to support Hull, who let's face it, in a must win game, lost to Blunderland.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here