Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I thought Hammond was IMMENSE tonight

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
You mean we don't hoof it up the park!

Maybe if you lot played it on the ground, he would have been your best midfielder.

Pretty sure we had the highest pass completion n the league last year... It's some misguided assumption on here that we played long ball, we didn't. Schneiderlin was our best midfielder and he's shown this season why.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
..but we do have a Bruno, Buckley and a CMS, to name but a few!

He's probably third here behind Bridcutt and Crofts (if you ignore Vicente)- and we've not even seen some of the new talent properly yet!

CMS wouldn't have been ahead of any of our strikers last year i'm afraid. I also feel he will struggle again this season. did he not have a blistering star last year only to go on and not score for weeks on end?

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
???just shows what 2 seasons under the guidance of Nigel Adkins can do for you ........?

this is a very valid point. He was very erratic to begin with, under pardew. But Adkins reigned him in and got him to concentrate on certain aspects rather than trying to do everything. He did improve massively and became a great team player.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Very pleased with his performance. Very tidy and worked like a Trojan. Much better than Crofts in the little bit i've seen of him this year, particularly in terms of touch. Ideally the two of them together, though, with Bridcutt, could be an utterly kick-arse midfield. Dicker, last night, with a little time on the ball, played some majestic throughballs and i was really happy to see those. The power of his passes has improved on last year now that he's learnt of the pace of the division. It seems the answer for opponents is to charge him down, but i think the movement of the rest of the squad, and the inherent danger and twinkle in the toes of those who'll be speedily fed, means that's a dangerous game to play too. Sprint at us and we're through you. That's the message we hopefully give and keep other teams on their (mangled and undainty) toes nervously.

Really tricky to work out an ideal starting XI at present. The spine is there and immovable, but the muscles and tendons around that spine are interchangeable, absorbing pressure when need be and stretching the body at work into new positions and ascend to new heights. We're a bloody attractive figure and if i were anywhere else i'd fancy us, and our chances, just a tad.

Hammond was steady and class and read the game well. Only the usual humourless North Stand turd made an early game comment about him, so it was a good performance and a decent welcome return for him, i think.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Very pleased for him. Shut up the few bozos who booed him at the start.

Did they? i cheered so loudly when his name was read out that i did'nt hear anything untoward and his performance did not disappoint,great game great night.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Hammond was our third best midfielder last year, make of that what you will. Did contribute massively to our promotion though with his sweeping up and hard work. I think the big differences are you don't have a hooiveld, Lallana or Lambert.

We don't need Hooiveld. We have enough defenders capable of scoring without another...

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Did they? i cheered so loudly when his name was read out that i did'nt hear anything untoward and his performance did not disappoint,great game great night.

There were a few in the North. Not a huge number but enough to make themselves heard.

D

Deleted member 2719

He played very well on his return but what was more pleasing was the way he fitted in immediately and i felt our midfield were solid and they protected our defence magnificently making it a relatively easy game for our back four and letting Bruno and Bridge raid the wings.

Fantastic performance, we are looking very good physically as well as technically, i really can't see us not going up if this can be replicated away from home.

Well done TB for bringing Deano home. :clap2::clap2:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Asset to the side so who cares about one silly incident and a shit awful contract negotiation - the world moves on.

Crofty will struggle to take his place and could find himself competing more with Dicker (who had his best game in 2 years last night IMO) and Lopez

Fascinating times - beginning to get nervous about Tuesday already :lol:

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Ive just watched the highlights on seagulls player and the volley he hit to send Buckley clear was similar to that of David Silva for Man C against Man u last seaso, immense! When Bridge scored he was one of the first celebrating and had the biggest smile on his boat. He is as chuffed as f*** to be back IMO and I for one, after his apology, am happy to have him :)

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Ive just watched the highlights on seagulls player and the volley he hit to send Buckley clear was similar to that of David Villa for Man C against Man u last seaso, immense! When Bridge scored he was one of the first celebrating and had the biggest smile on his boat. He is as chuffed as f*** to be back IMO and I for one, after his apology, am happy to have him :)

David Villa? They haven't bought HIM as well, have they????

Thought Hammond was excellent last night, but then who wasn't? Great to see Buckley back too.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
David Villa? They haven't bought HIM as well, have they????

Thought Hammond was excellent last night, but then who wasn't? Great to see Buckley back too.

Villa? Maybe Silva even :) Still creaming from the highlights :) Watched it time and time again, some would argue luck but he meant it imo!

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Agree he was immense and hope he tries that hard every week. If EVER there was a game where a player needed to put in some extra graft to win over the fans it was him that night! Few more of those and we'll have him back permanently next season IN THE PREM please scummers, he'll be too good for you lot in the Championship anyway after a year on the Gus Bus :wink:

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Bridcutt, Hammond, Crofts-simples, don't see how anyone can see it any different. Yeah Dicker played ok on Friday night after an awful first five minutes, but Hammond looked every inch a championship player and totally at ease at this level.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Bridcutt, Hammond, Crofts-simples, don't see how anyone can see it any different. Yeah Dicker played ok on Friday night after an awful first five minutes, but Hammond looked every inch a championship player and totally at ease at this level.

But are we always going to play three of them? I agree that Dicker would miss out of a three but if we play three of them all the time, then we only ever play three of our attacking options (which is 7 in total even without Vicente). I wonder whether at home we might play one of Crofts and Hammond and either Orlandi or Vicente (if fit) as a more creative option and then go more solid away from home.

Hammond had a great debut but based on Crofts impact for Norwich in their promotion from this level compared to Hammond's at Southampton, you would say Crofts is likely to be first choice in that case. It is a great problem to have for Gus. We now have a squad of 20 who are very good at this level, which when you consider our bench for some games last year is amazing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here