Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hwang Hee-chan

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
of I remember rightly when we signed trossard the main reason he signed for us is that potter went over and spoke to him face to face

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

And Trossard hasn’t smiled since :lolol:

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Cor-e-an 'alf good. If the man from Korea wants to have his career with us, I've got my car 'ere, I'll collect him from the airport myself and take him for Curry 'n' chips, or of course we could have him couriered. We'll soon be careering up the table. He could be our Seoul striker. Hwang Hee, Hwang Hee, put me on a rope and hang me....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Cor-e-an 'alf good. If the man from Korea wants to have his career with us, I've got my car 'ere, I'll collect him from the airport myself and take him for Curry 'n' chips, or of course we could have him couriered. We'll soon be careering up the table.

Careering :thumbsup:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
To be fair on BG he’s been very disappointing defensively so far.

However, I do think he’ll improve next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This anti-Webster shtick is getting dull. Yes, he had a shocker against Sheff Utd, and has made a few other mistakes this season. But, then again, Dunk was poor against Everton. That game exposed his judgment (should have been sent off and conceded a penalty. After five minutes), and his lack of pace (on two occasions on long chases he was overtaken). Duffy was poor against Bournemouth, his positioning and lack of pace was exposed. Duffy's a fine CB in a CH style system, but when you play a high line, which we do under Potter, he doesn't look so good.

Webster, by contrast, does have pace, as he revealed in outsprinting the rapid Calvert-Lewin in a long chase. He's also a pro-active CB that takes risks, coming out of position to try and win the ball back in order to launch a counter-attack. Alongside the slower, but positionally-astute Dunk who is also an excellent passer and a great last-ditch, body-on-the-line CB, Webster complements him to produce a promising and developing partnership. It's such a combined skill-set that Potter wants, which is why he's signed, and repeatedly picks, Webster. Remember, he's young-ish, just 24, and has only played half a season in the PL.
I'm convinced that part of the hostility towards him is informed by a justified loyalty to Duffy, who was our PotS and was great under CH, and is a brilliant backs-to-the-wall CB, but just doesn't suit Potter's style so well, particularly alongside Dunk.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
This anti-Webster shtick is getting dull. Yes, he had a shocker against Sheff Utd, and has made a few other mistakes this season. But, then again, Dunk was poor against Everton. That game exposed his judgment (should have been sent off and conceded a penalty. After five minutes), and his lack of pace (on two occasions on long chases he was overtaken). Duffy was poor against Bournemouth, his positioning and lack of pace was exposed. Duffy's a fine CB in a CH style system, but when you play a high line, which we do under Potter, he doesn't look so good.

Webster, by contrast, does have pace, as he revealed in outsprinting the rapid Calvert-Lewin in a long chase. He's also a pro-active CB that takes risks, coming out of position to try and win the ball back in order to launch a counter-attack. Alongside the slower, but positionally-astute Dunk who is also an excellent passer and a great last-ditch, body-on-the-line CB, Webster complements him to produce a promising and developing partnership. It's such a combined skill-set that Potter wants, which is why he's signed, and repeatedly picks, Webster. Remember, he's young-ish, just 24, and has only played half a season in the PL.
I'm convinced that part of the hostility towards him is informed by a justified loyalty to Duffy, who was our PotS and was great under CH, and is a brilliant backs-to-the-wall CB, but just doesn't suit Potter's style so well, particularly alongside Dunk.

This. If you want players who never make mistakes then go and support a Champions League team. You have to make mistakes to learn and improve, and until we're good enough to sign £80 million players who are the absolute finished article, we're either going to continue blooding exciting youngsters who don't get it right every time, or we go back to the utter borefest that was last year's football.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Perhaps the mods can strip out the thread de-railing Webster posts into a separate thread ? ???

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
This. If you want players who never make mistakes then go and support a Champions League team. You have to make mistakes to learn and improve, and until we're good enough to sign £80 million players who are the absolute finished article, we're either going to continue blooding exciting youngsters who don't get it right every time, or we go back to the utter borefest that was last year's football.

Well said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Is it possible that Potter went during the last international break? I guess Salzburg isn’t a million miles away so there and back in a day is a genuine possibility, or his representatives flew here? I’d understand if Potter had been to visit the player but just the representatives seems odd.
He went in December - I was trying to tie it in to when Percy Tau mysteriously missed a Bruges game for 'family reasons' but I now don't think the 2 coincide.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Great post - this slagging and scapegoating of Webster by a few people is getting really tedious.Really don't know why there always has to be a player singled out for heavy criticism - now Bong is rarely used (the nature of criticism of him was largely unfair too) Webster seems to be the target. Duffy shanked three simple long into the far stand vs Everton last week in short succession.......................Webster suits Potter's style and will improve (from an already very good starting point)

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Hard to believe that our goal difference is only -5 with such a liability in defence :smile:

Good that he’s offset this with three goals of his own too :thumbsup:

I don’t get the slagging off of Webster in a team whose style leaves the defence much more exposed than it was last season when every game started with “don’t concede” as the mantra, with almost no intent to score, other than a breakaway, until we were 2-0 down.

Correct Webster like Potter is a WIP in the Premier League and all part of Tony's plan. Whether we like it or not, the chairman has instigated a plan to make the club successful in the long term. This involves buying young prospects who can play in the system/style favoured by the club - who picked the manager and Technical Director for this project as well. We are signing U23s in the same manner and playing them in the same style with the long term goal of promoting rather than buying. The complete opposite of clubs like Palace who throw money at older players. Short term, the Palace approach is winning as they grind out results but hopefully long term, the moneyball approach will pay off - even if it does involved going down first. Scream all you want but we won't be buying Gary Cahill like players because Webster makes a few mistakes. We would have signed Championship players knowing there would be issues. But like everything else Bloom does, it will be based on the equivalent of pot odds in poker. Calculated gambles. I for one prefer the riskier approach of trying to evolve now we have survived the first two years. Definitely no guarantees that grinding results would have worked again this year.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
The more I see of Webster the more I'm reminded of Lawrenson in his early days with us and give him a season to settle into the role and we will see a top class CB evolve.
Than again I suspect a lot of the people on here slagging him off didn't see Lawrenson in his time with us

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
The more I see of Webster the more I'm reminded of Lawrenson in his early days with us and give him a season to settle into the role and we will see a top class CB evolve.
Than again I suspect a lot of the people on here slagging him off didn't see Lawrenson in his time with us

Very good comparison. I can see Webster having a better season next term after having a full season in the top division. Not sure if he has the capabilities to be a top player like Lawrenson but I certainly think we have a real player with potential. You are right in pointing out Mark Lawrenson needed time to settle down at this club.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo

I fully agree - Webster is a classy ball playing centre half with an eye for goal, perhaps he’s nervy re the step up, but akin to Burn he is far superior than many people seemingly give him credit for. We’ve been less cohesive since big Dan got injured, less pleasing on the eye - the Duffy effect. We’ve looked far better with a three man cb setup, with Dunk, Burn and Webster at the beating heart of our most fluid displays.

Those three, are essential to us progressing and surviving and I am beyond gutted that we’ve lost Burn, a loss we’re keenly feeling in both a defensive and an attacking sense.

We’d be at least three points worse off if Webster and Burno hadn’t have played so well at Arsenal - Webster with his brilliantly taken goal and Burn totally befuddling the Arsenal defence by turning up in the middle of the box for the, again superb taken, winner from Maupay. GP has made them both undroppable in my opinion - yet, cruelly, we’ve lost Dan the man.

Last edited:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Meanwhile back on topic kinda....

Pretty cool glasses, could ave done with these when I was playing football at school in the 80s.

Attachments

• 1178626462.jpg
    1178626462.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 251

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I think Webster has been a quality signing actually, bundles of potential, good with both feet, brings it out, comfortable on the ball and clearly a knack for scoring goals.

Seems a good signing for £20m to me.

Can only assume his critics aren’t happy he’s kept Duffy out the team.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The more I see of Webster the more I'm reminded of Lawrenson in his eaarly days with us and give him a season to settle into the role and we will see a top class CB evolve.

Very true I also remember Dunk in his early days would make one big mistake per game which often resulted in giving a goal or at the very least a chance of a goal

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Classic NSC, if ever there was a thread to slag Webster off in its obviously the imminent South Korean signing and coming of our own Korean Seagull.

Hope this one comes off but there will be more money elsewhere if Wolves and Leicester are interested. Mind you, we took Ali when Leicester were in for him didn't we?

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
'We won't be negotiating with any club': RB Salzburg sporting director insists they won't sell forward Hee-Chan Hwang... even for £34million

'Hwang is not for sale in this transfer period,' he told Austrian newspaper Salzburger Nachrichten.

'We won't let him go for 40million euros (£34m) either. We won't be negotiating with any club.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...irector-insists-wont-sell-Hee-Chan-Hwang.html

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here