Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am hoping that before the Bournemouth game he can convince the defender that they are good enough to defend against Premier sides and the attackers are good enough to attack them. I am sure that the problem is within the players heads that they are in the Premier by default not because they have earnt it. Yesterday Stephens and Propper showed that they can compete with the best so Bournemouth shouldnt present a problem.. I would however sacrifice Bissouma and play Kayal and tell him to man mark and stick to Brooks.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Over our last two games - Southampton - we were faffing about with the ball in our own half, lost possession, and conceded; man city - we were pinned back defending and got opened up and conceded.

In both games, none of our attacks resulted in us getting cut open and conceded. Even late on yesterday when pressing at set pieces, Man city broke and were unable to score.

We really need to put to bed this idea that if we dare to attack we will get cut open and lose 7 or 8-0. If we push forward and lose the ball, our opponents still have to make their way up the pitch, we need to make sure we use that time to get back. Like most other teams.

No, I'm not saying throw 11 men forward every opportunity we get. I'm simply saying we need to have more confidence about getting forward, have faith in the players that hang back if they end up being our only defence (if only that they delay the attack long enough for others to get back), faith in our keeper, and the players need to stay alert and willing to chase back if counter attacks occur.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Over our last two games - Southampton - we were faffing about with the ball in our own half, lost possession, and conceded; man city - we were pinned back defending and got opened up and conceded.

In both games, none of our attacks resulted in us getting cut open and conceded. Even late on yesterday when pressing at set pieces, Man city broke and were unable to score.

We really need to put to bed this idea that if we dare to attack we will get cut open and lose 7 or 8-0. If we push forward and lose the ball, our opponents still have to make their way up the pitch, we need to make sure we use that time to get back. Like most other teams.

No, I'm not saying throw 11 men forward every opportunity we get. I'm simply saying we need to have more confidence about getting forward, have faith in the players that hang back if they end up being our only defence (if only that they delay the attack long enough for others to get back), faith in our keeper, and the players need to stay alert and willing to chase back if counter attacks occur.

The reality is it's much harder for the opposition to score if we have the ball in their half. Attacking is a criminal offence in football, it's a necessity.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The top teams in this league would be delighted if clubs like us took the game to them,their goals for total would be immense

Again. Like yesterday when we pushed forward and Manchester City scored... none (their goal coming in the first five minutes when they were constantly attacking rather than at any point where we pushed forward) .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here