Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Hughton’s quote to The Argus following last nights game;

“I haven’t picked my team for Saturday yet. It’ll be a very difficult game for us, and we’ll be up against a lot of what we came up against tonight.

“It will have to be a team I think can do the club justice, and the best opportunity we have of getting something. Those chances are very slim.”

I’ve had a pop on here at people being too negative and not enjoying the dizzy heights we are at in comparison to a few years back. But truth be told I cannot believe what he said there. What sort of message does that send to the players - and the fans paying out of their arses to watch us go to make up the numbers on Saturday? He has pretty much admitted defeat three days before the game is even played. Don’t get me wrong - we all know what he is saying is accurate - but for us to stand any chance he needs to inspire some kind of faith that a miracle can happen. Imagine if a boxer said the same before a fight? You wouldn’t bother watching. Even fighters with no chance at all will say ‘I believe I can win.’

I am so demoralised by that comment...

I've been saying this for a while.

Hughton CANNOT motivate the players. Since Millwall, it has been apparent we lack the passion and fight required. Cardiff maybe shit, but they're up for a fight and won't go down without trying. We're on the other hand..

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hughton’s quote to The Argus following last nights game;

“I haven’t picked my team for Saturday yet. It’ll be a very difficult game for us, and we’ll be up against a lot of what we came up against tonight.

“It will have to be a team I think can do the club justice, and the best opportunity we have of getting something. Those chances are very slim.”

I’ve had a pop on here at people being too negative and not enjoying the dizzy heights we are at in comparison to a few years back. But truth be told I cannot believe what he said there. What sort of message does that send to the players - and the fans paying out of their arses to watch us go to make up the numbers on Saturday? He has pretty much admitted defeat three days before the game is even played. Don’t get me wrong - we all know what he is saying is accurate - but for us to stand any chance he needs to inspire some kind of faith that a miracle can happen. Imagine if a boxer said the same before a fight? You wouldn’t bother watching. Even fighters with no chance at all will say ‘I believe I can win.’

I am so demoralised by that comment...

CH has many strengths. His command of the English language isn't one of them. What he meant was these chances don't come round very often. I think.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
CH has many strengths. His command of the English language isn't one of them. What he meant was these chances don't come round very often. I think.

His command of the english language is fine, he's perfectly articulate and eloquent in how he speaks. The only issue is that in press conferences and interviews, he has all his usual stock answers prepared according to the opposition and the result, and repeats them ad-infinitum. I barely bother listening any more tbh, as you always know what he's going to say. It must have the likes of Naylor tearing their hair out trying to get something interesting from the guy.

He's a nice chap and a class act, but boring as hell to listen to.

(edit: not quite Hyypia-levels of droning monotony, mind)

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

I’m not sure he did. I think he is effectively throwing the towel in before we have even started. The players really don’t took up for it at the moment and it’s hardly surprising with comments like that.

We all know how hard a game it will be but at least try and big up our chances; “it’s eleven v eleven”, “anything can happen”, etc etc.

CH’s demeanour on the touch line is hardly inspirational either. We need a Charlie Oatway type to get them all fired up.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
We don't need to get rid of CH, just need to be a bit braver especially away from home and we need a quality no 10 and Striker over the summer.
CH knows this.

Its fine margins that will move us to mid table security.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Anyway, I'll say what I said a few days ago. If we stay up, if we are bottom 3 in November then TB will probably be ruthless, it being about trajectory, since we are bound to make signings in the summer, with the expectation of pushing on not achieving even less. That said I would like to think we will push on under CH. If we don't stay up this season, CH may walk; to go down from our position, teams below us, 5 point safety gap, games in hand, would be a massive blow. If he decides to stay, TB is not likely to sack him since, as people have been saying the last 3 years on here, to achieve what we have achieved is brilliant and CH should be given the chance to go again, as Dyche was.

That said, the landscape of expectancy and sense of entitlement have changed. Relegation to me now would be a massive mood changer for the whole summer, and I won't enjoy it at all. I am not yet sure what I will infer from that. Still, a plucky 0-4 battling defeat vs Citeh won't add to my sour mood, as long as we play like it is a cup game and not like we are going for a draw away at Everton. If we do the latter I may start getting a little less rational and accomodating of the marathon not a sprint strategy, and start blurting 'hooten OUT!' like I have tourettes.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’m not sure he did. I think he is effectively throwing the towel in before we have even started. The players really don’t took up for it at the moment and it’s hardly surprising with comments like that.

We all know how hard a game it will be but at least try and big up our chances; “it’s eleven v eleven”, “anything can happen”, etc etc.

CH’s demeanour on the touch line is hardly inspirational either. We need a Charlie Oatway type to get them all fired up.

If only we had someone like this in charge......

wanker.jpg

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
Houghton is doing a great job an I hope he stays around for many years to come. The team needs rebuilding and I would start by getting a tall keeper who can command the box. Ryan looks like a schoolkid compared to most of the other keepers. He doesn't inspire confidence. Ok he stops shots, but thats what they do.
Get behind Houghton. Get a keeper.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Houghton is doing a great job an I hope he stays around for many years to come. The team needs rebuilding and I would start by getting a tall keeper who can command the box. Ryan looks like a schoolkid compared to most of the other keepers. He doesn't inspire confidence. Ok he stops shots, but thats what they do.

Whatever issues we have in the dugout or on the pitch, a new keeper would solve none of them. Ryan is a very capable keeper who has an excellent understanding with his CB's. They are a very good unit together.

Try again.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
This. We also need Charlie Oatway, or preferably Paul Ince, on the touchline inspiring some fight in our lads.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
His command of the english language is fine, he's perfectly articulate and eloquent in how he speaks. The only issue is that in press conferences and interviews, he has all his usual stock answers prepared according to the opposition and the result, and repeats them ad-infinitum. I barely bother listening any more tbh, as you always know what he's going to say. It must have the likes of Naylor tearing their hair out trying to get something interesting from the guy.

Agree with you. His post-match comments on Radio Sussex are pretty much the same week in and week out, and I don't bother to read his page in the programme as I know I'm not going to find out anything new or interesting.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Do agree... since he has been in charge I have become less and less interested in his pre- post- match interviews and programme/website comments because they are just a cut & paste job from his previous interview/notes.

For all I know, from the back of the North Stand, he tunneled out of the Amex ages ago and a small mannequin is wheeled out at the start of the match, stays at the edge of the technical area and is wheeled back at the end. The rest of the coaching staff are covering his escape like a scene from Escape to Victory or the Great Escape.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I know! Me thinks he was being a tad sarcastic though. At least I hope he was.

Ha, yes. Hadn't read thread.

In fairness, I've seen a lot of (genuine) dumb comments re: the Albion in the past few hours...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Yep, exactly like back in the day we needed a Jimmy Melia type to get them fired up.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Who is Houghton?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here