Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton supporters

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
That was my thought. I can't think of an available manager with premier league experience that I would prefer to CH.

Why do they need to have premier league experience? Forgetting about the likes of Pep and Klopp who have come in to the top sides and been successful, plenty of managers have come here from abroad and been successful with similar sized clubs in recent years:

Pochettino, Koeman, Puel and Hasenhuttl at Southampton;
Javi Cracia and Quiche Sanchez Florez at Watford;
Marco Silva at Hull/Watford;
Nuno at Wolves;

And in the championship, Bielsa, Farque and Wagner have all worked relative miracles in the last few years with no experience of England.

You will of course find examples of foreign coaches who have failed but premier league experience is not necessarily essential. Foreign managers are generally better when it comes to tactics and coaching too which I feel is our biggest problem at the moment.

There are many very talented coaches in Germany, Portugal and Italy who I would like here.

Our coaching is improving in this country as you can see with our young national sides coming through and in the future I think the standard of our head coaches and managers will get better but we are a few years behind the likes of Portugal, Italy and Germany at the moment.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
So true, the only team we should be comparing ourselves with is Southampton. Similar size club and geographical location. The big difference is the quality coming from the academies of each, but theirs is far more developed.

With time ours will bare similar fruit. This is why the club has hired Dan Ashworth, to help nurture the club into a more self sufficient outfit.

My worry is a club should take a holistic approach, all age groups playing the same style. If this is dictated by Chris, we could be cursed with his style indefinitely, forever known as pragmatists not artists.

Could this be the answer to the question: Why did we start trying to play 4-3-3?

Maybe our style of play has been imposed on CH rather than the other way around? If so it is clear that he is not able to play the way the club require him to.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Why do they need to have premier league experience? Forgetting about the likes of Pep and Klopp who have come in to the top sides and been successful, plenty of managers have come here from abroad and been successful with similar sized clubs in recent years:

Pochettino, Koeman, Puel and Hasenhuttl at Southampton;
Javi Cracia and Quiche Sanchez Florez at Watford;
Marco Silva at Hull/Watford;
Nuno at Wolves;

And in the championship, Bielsa, Farque and Wagner have all worked relative miracles in the last few years with no experience of England.

You will of course find examples of foreign coaches who have failed but premier league experience is not necessarily essential. Foreign managers are generally better when it comes to tactics and coaching too which I feel is our biggest problem at the moment.

There are many very talented coaches in Germany, Portugal and Italy who I would like here.

Our coaching is improving in this country as you can see with our young national sides coming through and in the future I think the standard of our head coaches and managers will get better but we are a few years behind the likes of Portugal, Italy and Germany at the moment.

I agree entirely, my post was in response to another post that was in response to a post suggesting our next manager must have Premier League experience.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
It's a tricky one this, as it's hard for a mere supporter to know where the problem lies, but after that first half display, it's hard not to conclude that there definitely is a problem. How could we be so obviously "not up for it" in such an important game?

We have been awful in 2019, and the manager would usually carry the can for such a dreadful run, but not surprised the board stuck by Hughton. He has built up enough goodwill to be given the chance.

However, I do feel that his pragmatism has strayed into negativity. Just some of the things he says raise alarm bells (it was similar with Hyypia). For instance, he recently called on us to show "the same spirit that has got us where we are, two points above the relegation zone".. a lot of people would conclude that the spirit that had got us there might be wanting for something, but CH seems to see that as something positive?

We keep hearing about how ambitious we are.. but if that ambition is to just stay in the Premier League by a whisker every year, that suggests it's about money, not football. Not sure I believe that about Tony Bloom.

I would suggest that we will be starting the next season with someone new at the helm. We can't let this awful run continue into next season, and I can't see anything giving us some positive impetus except a management change.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Could this be the answer to the question: Why did we start trying to play 4-3-3?

Maybe our style of play has been imposed on CH rather than the other way around? If so it is clear that he is not able to play the way the club require him to.

This is an interesting thought, when did Ashworth arrive? And what is l, specifically, his role? If Hughton has had this imposed on him then all criticism is unfair, mine included. However, I would find that particularly odd with Bloom at the helm who gave Hughton a lot of freedom when he came in.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think all Hughton IN fans can rest easy and prepare to see how he reacts next season. As long as Cardiff don’t pull off a miracle he has done what was asked of him and kept us up. Tony Bloom will be delighted I’m sure, regardless of how we stayed up. He’s a business man first and a fan second now I imagine.

Hopefully I will get my enthusiasm back for football by August and be excited by the video clips of our new foreign players, who I’d never heard of before we signed them.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
This is an interesting thought, when did Ashworth arrive? And what is l, specifically, his role? If Hughton has had this imposed on him then all criticism is unfair, mine included. However, I would find that particularly odd with Bloom at the helm who gave Hughton a lot of freedom when he came in.

Been there since Feb.

It’s really just to look and learn over the next three months and find some areas where we’re under-resourced, some areas we can tweak a few things and join up a bit more maybe in some cases, and try to support the people that have already done a very good job in trying to achieve the goals for Brighton.

This quote suggests the thought is way off the mark.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...ing-make-brighton-sustainable-premier-league/

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think all Hughton IN fans can rest easy and prepare to see how he reacts next season. As long as Cardiff don’t pull off a miracle he has done what was asked of him and kept us up. Tony Bloom will be delighted I’m sure, regardless of how we stayed up. He’s a business man first and a fan second now I imagine.

Hopefully I will get my enthusiasm back for football by August and be excited by the video clips of our new foreign players, who I’d never heard of before we signed them.

I'd would have been more than happy for CH to start next season were it not for the fact he has completely emptied his bank of (Premier League) goodwill.

I'd still be happy for him to start next season if I thought he was capable of beginning the season instantly depositing oodles of goodwill back into his account.

Sadly though I don't believe he's capable of that.
I believe many fans will still be on their Summer holidays while the team will be back to battling for a scratchy point without a shot on target, and being booed from the predominantly empty seats.

Begging the question what would be the point of given him x millions and a pre-season?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
The only club who spent less than us this season was Cardiff.

That just isn't true. We spent £77.63m (figures from Transfermarkt) which is more than:

Man City
Tottenham
Burnley
Newcastle
Palace
Watford
Huddersfield
Southampton
Cardiff

Now admittedly transfer spend is not the best measure of team funding Vs results, wage spend is generally more revealing (we are 16th in that table). But it is unreasonable to imply Hughton has not been backed.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Many of the pro Hughton fans point to other teams, who change managers, only to regress further. But there are an equal number of teams who vastly improved after a change, so this point is moot.

I guess it all depends on your levels of optimism. Are those who fear a change pessimists, happy to settle for a mediocre playing style?

I don't mind us scrapping around the bottom of the league, this is likely our level, my only gripe is with the style of football.

If Chris could tweak his style, take his hands out of his pockets and demand more urgency from the players, a higher line, tighter pressing, faster passing and more runs in behind, like we did in the Championship, I'd back him to carry on.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Many of the pro Hughton fans point to other teams, who change managers, only to regress further. But there are an equal number of teams who vastly improved after a change, so this point is moot.

I guess it all depends on your levels of optimism. Are those who fear a change pessimists, happy to settle for a mediocre playing style?

I don't mind us scrapping around the bottom of the league, this is likely our level, my only gripe is with the style of football.

If Chris could tweak his style, take his hands out of his pockets and demand more urgency from the players, a higher line, tighter pressing, faster passing and more runs in behind, like we did in the Championship, I'd back him to carry on.

Totally agree, let’s not stink the division out again and go in fear of every team home and away. As someone else posted this season has been like playing 38 games away from home. We set up for the vast majority as if we were playing a top six team.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Was this thread started at Half Time?

OP consistently comes across as a gloryhunting millennial.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I wasn't going to get involved in all this, but sod it, here are my ramblings.

I'll admit, I'm firmly Team Chris. He's done a great job since he arrived and comes across as a top bloke. Yes, he errs on the side of caution, yes, his teams are defensive, but with these tactics, he's kept us out of the bottom three for the vast majority of the time in the PL and it looks like he's kept us up.

I say 'he's', but what's interesting is that so many people are questioning the players and the recruitment and saying that is where the problem is, but still want to change the manager. Am I the only one who thinks that's a bit odd? I'm not sure he has the final say on signings, so he's working with what he's got. Yes it's been a terrible run and we should've picked up points in the games against teams in the last month or so (especially at home), but is that all the fault of the manager?

People are blaming the tactics, but have been crying out for 442. Others are also questioning Gross out wide, but he said on the radio he'd played there before, so it's not THAT weird. And, let's face it, not much else was working, so why not change the line-up to see if it made a difference? Clearly it didn't work, so he changed the formation and then changed the personnel on the pitch at half time. Early that his typical 70 minutes that people always bang on about and yet they STILL aren't happy.

So, did I enjoy the first half? No, I thought the players were awful – how much of that is down to the manger, I don't know, but I'm guessing it's not 100%.
Do I think he's earned the right to have another crack next season, with a full pre-season for the likes of Ali J, plus a fully fit Izquierdo and Gross and hopefully some additions that help us play like the second half more often than the first? Yes
Do I think he's likely to achieve that and keep us up next season? If they play like they did in the second half then yes, why the hell not?

I agree with this. CH has never really been given enough time to build a PL squad of his own - so why not give him that time here?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Agree, but not too sure about the foreign players we've never heard of bit - I sort of feel we've had more than enough of them lately!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Hopefully if Cardiff get no more than a draw on Saturday the players can just go out and play football without any pressure. We can still stop Arsenal gaining an extra place and we can still spoil the Man City title party.

It's a good time for the squad and Hughton to demonstrate how good we can be or how very bad we are. Still a lot to play for even if it is just pride.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Like we did second half yesterday! We can do it!!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
That just isn't true. We spent £77.63m (figures from Transfermarkt) which is more than:

Man City
Tottenham
Burnley
Newcastle
Palace
Watford
Huddersfield
Southampton
Cardiff

Now admittedly transfer spend is not the best measure of team funding Vs results, wage spend is generally more revealing (we are 16th in that table). But it is unreasonable to imply Hughton has not been backed.

The figure on Transermarkt is a bit misleading, for a start it's in Euro's not £'s and it also includes all the players picked up for the development squad or purchased and loaned back out. Our actual spend on players for our Premier League squad is about £50 million this season (based on the transfermarkt figure) I don't know how that compares to other teams as I don't have enough knowledge of their squads to work out who is PL squad and who is development squad.

You are quite correct that Hughton has been backed and it's wrong to say he hasn't been, it's just looks like the money we have spent hasn't been spent wisely.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
If Chris is given some Premier class players to manage,instead of the good Championship and average to poor imports he has at the moment,he should be judged on results then.The gap in class to the Newcastle players was glaringly obvious yesterday.Team Hughton :thumbsup::albion:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here