Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton supporters

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Something clearly amiss watching that first half. I don't think TB is the trigger happy type but we will be down by Xmas if we play like that with the same group of players next year. Big summer coming surely.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
You have lost me there I’m afraid. I have supported this club for over 40 years and only want what is best for it. Unlike you I supported it before CH arrived and will do so when he is gone. There is no reason why we shouldn’t compete with similar sized clubs such as Leicester, Burnley etc but I don’t think we will do so all the time we have the attitude from the manager that everyone is better than us and simply try and play to contain the opposition (none too successfully recently).

We have won 9 points in 2019. Something has to change.
Easy Peasy to throw that in my face. I want Brighton to succeed as much as anyone now. So please don't try to suggest I don't care or don't feel defeat as much as you. I have been so down about the the recent form slump so please don't try and tell me how I feel

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not even close to being true. We were 10th top spenders in the PL in summer and spent roughly the same as Man City and Everton.

Transfer fees are only a small portion of financial outlay. Wages are the most important factor in getting players in. Look back at players who've chosen other clubs instead of us, some even on the way to sign.
We have a sensible wage policy and will not throw high wages around like Palace. Staying up gets us more revenue so we can gradually improve.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The first half was a tactic thundecunt by Hughton.

His tactics are so ****ing tedious and anyone who says different hasn't been to any away game for 2 seasons. He needs to go.

Next week is pointless us going for anything other than win but he wont.

We are rightly now most hated side in the PL

There's some posters on here that are happy to watch pathetic ******* bollocks week in week out, probably the same idiots who clap when the team has been utter shite.

The most hated club in the PL? I very much doubt it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The fact you don’t says it. Private message me your address and I’ll post you a copy of said book. Your last comment is a statement..
My last comment wasn't made to you, it was to someone else, so I assumed you were talking about my question to you. My last comment was the logical conclusion from Mustafa's statement that anyone backing Hughton cannot care about this football club.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Because they way we play currently is such a success. How many points has our ultra defensive approach earned us away to the big six in two seasons? Zero.

Stats for the bottom 3 teams this season read that they have taken zero points off the top 6 teams this season, home or away where as we have taken 4 points ourselves at home this season

You’ll find the answer on the Canary forums I’m afraid!

Norwich and Newcastle both sacked Hughton when outside the bottom 3 positions, both then get relegated.

We don't sack him and look like we are going to be safe. What does that tell you?

If there is anyone left who thinks he should be given another season, I despair.

I fear that the damage has been done and we will have to change manager in the summer because the fans are already turning against him, so if we have a slow start next season or if we continue to employ the same tactics again that have (most probably) kept us up for 2 seasons, then i can see that fan frustration boiling over and the crowd turning, which will adversely affect results.

Ipswich fans wanted better football to watch than they were getting with McCarthy, they got him out and instead of improving, they went backwards and were relegated - be careful what you wish for as it can backfire

Not even close to being true. We were 10th top spenders in the PL in summer and spent roughly the same as Man City and Everton.

But most of the teams we are competing with weren't starting from what was basically a Championship squad with a couple of decent additions last season.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
If we do part ways with Hughton then we must acquire a manager with a proven track record at Premier League level.

All too often, as with the players we buy, we go for unproven and untested. Now we are in the top tier we absolutely must get someone in who has the acumen and vision required to bring our squad up another level.

In this respect player recruitment will obviously be ultra important, a new manager will need the Summer to sort the wheat from the chaff, and insert any new signings, that's a lot to achieve in such a short timeframe if we are to start the new season with the hope of doing better overall than this season.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
For the third year in a row he will have earned the club close to £150 million quid by taking Brighton to and keeping them in PL

Assuming that happens then we would have done it despite him, not because of him .... just my opinion

Last edited:

Truthsayer

Nov 29, 2017
If we do part ways with Hughton then we must acquire a manager with a proven track record at Premier League level.

All too often, as with the players we buy, we go for unproven and untested. Now we are in the top tier we absolutely must get someone in who has the acumen and vision required to bring our squad up another level.

In this respect player recruitment will obviously be ultra important, a new manager will need the Summer to sort the wheat from the chaff, and insert any new signings, that's a lot to achieve in such a short timeframe if we are to start the new season with the hope of doing better overall than this season.

Have you seen the value of our squad? Dunk and Duffy are the most valuable along with Jahanbakhsh and Bissouma but they are only around £15million give or take....I might have missed some but the rest would be lucky to get half of that. Seems like we have overperformed - compare to Fulham and their players are worth a lot more and look where they are.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Have you seen the value of our squad? Dunk and Duffy are the most valuable along with Jahanbakhsh and Bissouma but they are only around £15million give or take....I might have missed some but the rest would be lucky to get half of that. Seems like we have overperformed - compare to Fulham and their players are worth a lot more and look where they are.

It was telling for me that when we really needed a result in the second half, seven of the eleven on the field were the Championship promotion squad.

There were a few knocks to take in to consideration of course but basically the only new boys were Ryan (and Stockdale left so the keeper would have to be a new boy), Gross who was player of the season last season and actually scored, and Bissouma and Bernardo who represent our two new players with the most potential.

Did he call Locadia off the bench? Did he ****. On you go Knocky and Solly. Off you come Izzy and Andone.

That doesn't excuse what I would consider to be Hughton's worst tactical half of football since he joined the club, nor the confidence sapping negative approach that has got us in to the doo doo in the first place, but when push came to shove CH trusted the players that got us in to the division and not those bought to keep us there.

I've said on others of these threads that I reluctantly think it is time for Chris to move upstairs or to be thanked profusely and given some kind of ambassador role until such time as a savvy Championship team comes in for him. I've been a great supporter of his up to now but he can't take the team any further forward than this. That shouldn't mask the fact he's been given a tool kit almost entirely full of square pegs. But they're not quite all square pegs and, since Christmas, he's only tried to force them in to round holes.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I wasn't going to get involved in all this, but sod it, here are my ramblings.

I'll admit, I'm firmly Team Chris. He's done a great job since he arrived and comes across as a top bloke. Yes, he errs on the side of caution, yes, his teams are defensive, but with these tactics, he's kept us out of the bottom three for the vast majority of the time in the PL and it looks like he's kept us up.

I say 'he's', but what's interesting is that so many people are questioning the players and the recruitment and saying that is where the problem is, but still want to change the manager. Am I the only one who thinks that's a bit odd? I'm not sure he has the final say on signings, so he's working with what he's got. Yes it's been a terrible run and we should've picked up points in the games against teams in the last month or so (especially at home), but is that all the fault of the manager?

People are blaming the tactics, but have been crying out for 442. Others are also questioning Gross out wide, but he said on the radio he'd played there before, so it's not THAT weird. And, let's face it, not much else was working, so why not change the line-up to see if it made a difference? Clearly it didn't work, so he changed the formation and then changed the personnel on the pitch at half time. Early that his typical 70 minutes that people always bang on about and yet they STILL aren't happy.

So, did I enjoy the first half? No, I thought the players were awful – how much of that is down to the manger, I don't know, but I'm guessing it's not 100%.
Do I think he's earned the right to have another crack next season, with a full pre-season for the likes of Ali J, plus a fully fit Izquierdo and Gross and hopefully some additions that help us play like the second half more often than the first? Yes
Do I think he's likely to achieve that and keep us up next season? If they play like they did in the second half then yes, why the hell not?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I wasn't going to get involved in all this, but sod it, here are my ramblings.

I'll admit, I'm firmly Team Chris. He's done a great job since he arrived and comes across as a top bloke. Yes, he errs on the side of caution, yes, his teams are defensive, but with these tactics, he's kept us out of the bottom three for the vast majority of the time in the PL and it looks like he's kept us up.

I say 'he's', but what's interesting is that so many people are questioning the players and the recruitment and saying that is where the problem is, but still want to change the manager. Am I the only one who thinks that's a bit odd? I'm not sure he has the final say on signings, so he's working with what he's got. Yes it's been a terrible run and we should've picked up points in the games against teams in the last month or so (especially at home), but is that all the fault of the manager?

People are blaming the tactics, but have been crying out for 442. Others are also questioning Gross out wide, but he said on the radio he'd played there before, so it's not THAT weird. And, let's face it, not much else was working, so why not change the line-up to see if it made a difference? Clearly it didn't work, so he changed the formation and then changed the personnel on the pitch at half time. Early that his typical 70 minutes that people always bang on about and yet they STILL aren't happy.

So, did I enjoy the first half? No, I thought the players were awful – how much of that is down to the manger, I don't know, but I'm guessing it's not 100%.
Do I think he's earned the right to have another crack next season, with a full pre-season for the likes of Ali J, plus a fully fit Izquierdo and Gross and hopefully some additions that help us play like the second half more often than the first? Yes
Do I think he's likely to achieve that and keep us up next season? If they play like they did in the second half then yes, why the hell not?

I am tending to agree with a lot of what you say here. I am not sure that we are best positioned to make the decision about next season. If I were involved I would be asking if it is possible to play like the second half today all (or at least most) of the time. If no, then i would say see you later, If yes then i would be asking why we haven't been and what needs to be put in place.

Having said that if the club are able to find a better option then I would also be seriously considering them also.

I think it is important to wait until the end of the season, take stock and consider our options. This is something I am confident the club will do.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

Can't think of anyone unless we want to pay the premature pension of one of the knackered old dinosaurs on the merry-go-round of safety managers. European experience would possibly be a better bet.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Can't think of anyone unless we want to pay the premature pension of one of the knackered old dinosaurs on the merry-go-round of safety managers. European experience would possibly be a better bet.

That was my thought. I can't think of an available manager with premier league experience that I would prefer to CH.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Hughton's problem is he doesn't seem to know what his best team is. There seems to be a lot of pressure to recruit players in the summer. But if the big 3 that were recruited last summer hadn't have been recruited we would be no worse off. With a nice tidy sum still in the bank.

This was an interesting article.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/so...ons-best-available-seagulls-lineup/ar-BBWk1xU

I think we can be fairly certain that his best team is not in a 4-3-3 formation.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Leicester is a really bad comparison .... take a proper look at their total wages spend, fees spend and the huge individual wages paid to certain players. The billionaire owner pumps huge sums into that, after receiving a freebee stadium.

We could only get to that level with a substantial increase in club income.

So true, the only team we should be comparing ourselves with is Southampton. Similar size club and geographical location. The big difference is the quality coming from the academies of each, but theirs is far more developed.

With time ours will bare similar fruit. This is why the club has hired Dan Ashworth, to help nurture the club into a more self sufficient outfit.

My worry is a club should take a holistic approach, all age groups playing the same style. If this is dictated by Chris, we could be cursed with his style indefinitely, forever known as pragmatists not artists.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here