Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton: Derision from Norwich Fans

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Norwich aren't any better than when CH was there. If they go up they will probably do worse in the Prem than when CH was there. Brighton have improved quite a bit since CH took over. To be fair though, Norwich was not CH's best gig in his career.

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Not sure how true that was given it was just paper talk and the board supported him to almost the very end when it was all over. It's not like our form dipped after January either, we just carried on with the same relegation form of the previous 12 months. He was respected at brum and Newcastle but they were 2 recently relegated squads, the latter being the strongest ever seen in the championship so not the hardest jobs. Brighton by far his toughest and for the first time no premier league players to work with. We'll be getting Van Wolfswinkel back in the summer as St Etienne aren't taking the option to buy. Maybe Hughton will give him a go on loan.
Perhaps the negative tactics were born out of not having players of sufficient quality to play a more expansive game. Norwich are never going to win anything so PL survival was paramount to the board, the style could have been as a result of this. I appreciate that it's not much fun for the supporter, but when did we ever matter?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Norwich aren't any better than when SH was there. If they go up they will probably do worse in the Prem than when SH was there. Brighton have improved quite a bit since SH took over. To be fair though, Norwich was not SH's best gig in his career.

Who is S.H.?

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
Perhaps the negative tactics were born out of not having players of sufficient quality to play a more expansive game. Norwich are never going to win anything so PL survival was paramount to the board, the style could have been as a result of this. I appreciate that it's not much fun for the supporter, but when did we ever matter?

True but he did have a decent wedge to spend before both seasons. The main issue was strikers, just seemed to find it impossible to find anyone who could score when Holt left. Life is fairly boring in the bottom half of the prem too because the stakes are so high and survival all that matters to around half the league.

Mark Jones

Jan 28, 2011
Norwich aren't any better than when CH was there. If they go up they will probably do worse in the Prem than when CH was there. Brighton have improved quite a bit since CH took over. To be fair though, Norwich was not CH's best gig in his career.
Lol! We're a lot better than under Hughton. Several fans of other clubs & more than one manager have said we're the best team they've played this season. I thought we were nowhere near our best yesterday but still the better of the 2 sides... Hughton will have you finish mid table for a couple of seasons until you sack him.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Personally not bothered what other fans think of him. Newcastle fans and Birmingham liked him Norwich fans do not.

My take on it is we were in dire trouble when he arrived and now we are in a much better place. May not have been pretty but if you offered me this position with 6 games to go I would have bitten your hand off. Therefore he clearly has done something right.
Away from home we do look to grind out points but I'll give Houghton the benefit of the doubt and put this down to the fact our attacking players are pretty average to say the least.
His 1 permanent signing so far looks real quality. He loan signing not so. Think he needs to be given the benefit of a summer selecting more players he wants before he is written off as a dull manager we need to get rid of.
Personally with the attacking players at his disposal I think he has done very well to drag us away from relegation

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Lol! We're a lot better than under Hughton. Several fans of other clubs & more than one manager have said we're the best team they've played this season. I thought we were nowhere near our best yesterday but still the better of the 2 sides... Hughton will have you finish mid table for a couple of seasons until you sack him.
Apparently Brighton were poor too yesterday. Let's see. Let's see! Teams generally look better in a lower division anyway, and Norwich aren't even promoted yet!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The shit we've got available up front at the moment Hughton's doing well to guide us to 1-0 defeats.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Any team that gets promoted from the Championship just wants survival in their first Premier league season, and Hughton delivered that. I'm sure Leicester, QPR, and Burnley would be happy with scrappy 1-0 wins or 0-0s if they finish out of the bottom tree.

The fact that you didn't consider yourselves as one of the prime relegation candidates at the beginning is delusional.

This . Norwich ffs . They Should expect to come bottom and enjoy the ride . Makes you laugh doesn't it .

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013

I thought you were fairly good yesterday but you are also playing is an inferior league to the one you were in with CH as manager.
You certainly have the players to be in the top 2 and really should finish there.
CH championship record is fairly decent. 1st with Newcastle was obviously expected but he still did the job. 4th with a pretty average Birmingham side. His football may not have been ultra exciting thus far but he has taken us from the relegation zone to relative safety in 3 months.
As for the future who knows what will happen. Personally I think next year we will be fairly decent under his stewardship but then I could also be wrong as none of us know what will happen.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
One of the problems is that as things and situations improve, you want and expect more and at the same time forget where you were. Before CH we were looking odds on relegation candidates. Our 'players' didn't have a clue what they were supposed to be doing and often looked like they had given up. We were desperate and in all honesty we would gladly have suffered boing, cautious football if it meant we stayed in the championship.

CH has virtually guaranteed us safety, hopefully not tempting fate with that remark. The players do seem to now understand what they are wanted to do, they do in the main look like they give effort. So has CH delivered our requests? I think the answer has to be a resounding yes.

As to next season, well that will remain to be seen, he can take some time to build his own squad, hopefully with the berk Burke gone we may stand a chance of getting in players who can actually play.

But let's give him credit for doing a pretty good job when all looked doom and gloom.

As for Norwich fans thoughts on his performance? well if you expect to be heading up the Premiership when you are always going to be at best a bottom end of the table club, apart from the odd little spurt, then whoever you have manage you is on to a hiding to nothing

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Genuinely baffled at what happened there. Obviously they weren't spending much, but he ended up making Hughton look like Kevin Keegan

Lambert had a good squad at Villa, and I don't know how your logic made a Hughton Keegan comparison. Keegan/Shearer got Newcastle relegated. Hughton got them back up again as Championship title winners with room to spare.

It is 50/50 on whether Norwich get promoted again, but if not, see you next season for a rematch. :)

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
One of the problems is that as things and situations improve, you want and expect more and at the same time forget where you were. Before CH we were looking odds on relegation candidates. Our 'players' didn't have a clue what they were supposed to be doing and often looked like they had given up. We were desperate and in all honesty we would gladly have suffered boing, cautious football if it meant we stayed in the championship.

CH has virtually guaranteed us safety, hopefully not tempting fate with that remark. The players do seem to now understand what they are wanted to do, they do in the main look like they give effort. So has CH delivered our requests? I think the answer has to be a resounding yes.

As to next season, well that will remain to be seen, he can take some time to build his own squad, hopefully with the berk Burke gone we may stand a chance of getting in players who can actually play.

But let's give him credit for doing a pretty good job when all looked doom and gloom.

As for Norwich fans thoughts on his performance? well if you expect to be heading up the Premiership when you are always going to be at best a bottom end of the table club, apart from the odd little spurt, then whoever you have manage you is on to a hiding to nothing
Although not his beat gig, CH probably did better at the small club Norwich than Poyet did at the relatively big club, Sunderland. I think there's more chaff in the Prem this year than when CH was managing Norwich. Someone might prove me wrong.

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
Lambert had a good squad at Villa, and I don't know how your logic made a Hughton Keegan comparison. Keegan/Shearer got Newcastle relegated. Hughton got them back up again as Championship title winners with room to spare.

It is 50/50 on whether Norwich get promoted again, but if not, see you next season for a rematch. :)

keegan was a gung ho manager

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here