Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton: Derision from Norwich Fans

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I wish people would get off Hughton's back and let him build his own team in the summer. I'm delighted he has saved us from going into league 1 because we were fast heading that way. I'm convinced he is getting the best out of a weak squad already.

To much whinging already. Lets just write this season off as it's been depressing, especially the first half a season.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I wish people would get off Hughton's back and let him build his own team in the summer. I'm delighted he has saved us from going into league 1 because we were fast heading that way. I'm convinced he is getting the best out of a weak squad already.

To much whinging already. Lets just write this season off as it's been depressing, especially the first half a season.

He was asked to come in a steer us clear of a relegation scrap which he succeeded in doing. expectations for next year is that we get back to challenging for the play offs. To do this we need a huge amount of investment in the playing squad. If this happens then he will be given the chance to prove himself as the manager we want him to be. However if things stay the same and we don't get that investment then his expectations will be to once again save us from a relegation scrap.

It is unrealistic to expect a manager to push on with the squad we have and I agree that we should save our judgments for next season. This season should be seen as a write off, i just hope that it is not an indication of the clubs continuing ambitions as I don't want to see us treading water.

PurpleCanary

Apr 4, 2015
Oh dear. One of the biggest criticisms of Poyet was that he couldn't win once 1-0 down (although that didn't happen very often) but at least he got several draws. If you're now telling us, that Hughton can't even get a draw away from home, once we've conceded, then I can see things turning ugly pretty quickly.

You would know better than I how relevant is the comparison with Poyet; and whether Hughton is managing Brighton under the same kind of circumstances. I would imagine Hughton feels with you this season, as with us last, that a fight against relegation necessitates unchangingly cautious tactics. And there is an upside, by way of holding on to a 1-0 lead, or holding teams to 0-0. It may not be pretty but it accumulates points.

The question is whether this is simply Hughton responding to a perilous position or whether this kind of ultra-caution and a lack of a Plan B is part of his managerial make-up and will always be there, even in better times. Last summer, after Hughton had been sacked, there was a telling quote from our chairman, suggesting the latter was the case:

“We want [next season] to play a passing game. There will be times and it will be appropriate, when you’re under the cosh against Chelsea, you want 10 men behind the ball. But there will be other times when, for example in the Premier League, you go to Hull and play for 64 minutes against 10 men, and you wouldn’t know how to open a can of tuna, let alone their defence. And that is not tolerable.”

PS. A win tomorrow against Bournemouth would be greatly appreciated!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

You would know better than I how relevant is the comparison with Poyet; and whether Hughton is managing Brighton under the same kind of circumstances. I would imagine Hughton feels with you this season, as with us last, that a fight against relegation necessitates unchangingly cautious tactics. And there is an upside, by way of holding on to a 1-0 lead, or holding teams to 0-0. It may not be pretty but it accumulates points.

The question is whether this is simply Hughton responding to a perilous position or whether this kind of ultra-caution and a lack of a Plan B is part of his managerial make-up and will always be there, even in better times. Last summer, after Hughton had been sacked, there was a telling quote from our chairman, suggesting the latter was the case:

“We want [next season] to play a passing game. There will be times and it will be appropriate, when you’re under the cosh against Chelsea, you want 10 men behind the ball. But there will be other times when, for example in the Premier League, you go to Hull and play for 64 minutes against 10 men, and you wouldn’t know how to open a can of tuna, let alone their defence. And that is not tolerable.”

PS. A win tomorrow against Bournemouth would be greatly appreciated!

I would love to see a win against Bournemouth tinight as well for 2 reason.

1. First and foremost because i want to be safe from relegation

2. I would like to see Norwich promoted. They have the best squad in this league and thay probably deserve to go up

However I have no need to hear constant attacks form opposing fans on our Manager, he will get that from the Brighton fans I things don't work out here.

It didn't work out for CH at Norwich......get over it and support your new manager who has done really well up there. It is one thing for him to be hounded out of your own club but to follow him round other clubs message boards with negativity does not help us for the future.

Chris Hughton is a football manager who is deemed to have failed at Norwich City. He isn't an Adolf Hitler, Josepph Stalin, Dzenghis Khan, Radovan Karadžić
or Josep Tito who needs to be hunted down and taken to Den Haag for any crime

PurpleCanary

Apr 4, 2015
I would love to see a win against Bournemouth tinight as well for 2 reason.

1. First and foremost because i want to be safe from relegation

2. I would like to see Norwich promoted. They have the best squad in this league and thay probably deserve to go up

However I have no need to hear constant attacks form opposing fans on our Manager, he will get that from the Brighton fans I things don't work out here.

It didn't work out for CH at Norwich......get over it and support your new manager who has done really well up there. It is one thing for him to be hounded out of your own club but to follow him round other clubs message boards with negativity does not help us for the future.

Chris Hughton is a football manager who is deemed to have failed at Norwich City. He isn't an Adolf Hitler, Josepph Stalin, Dzenghis Khan, Radovan Karadžić
or Josep Tito who needs to be hunted down and taken to Den Haag for any crime

Hughton was not hounded out of Norwich City by the fans. Some fans wanted him out, and said so very forcibly, so, but I was never one of those. I stayed silent on the issue. Hughton was sacked by the directors, who very much know their own minds, because they thought he wouldn't get the points needed for us to stay up in the last five games.

As to following Hughton round, that is not the case. This is the first non-Norwich City football message-board I have joined and I did that only very recently, as did others, because I thought I might be able to add some factual information to this specific thread. Fans like to know how their new managers was regarded at his last club. And far from being generally negative about Hughton, I have made it clear he is fulfilling his primary objective this season of saving you from relegation. I think he is a decent manager, certainly at Championship level.

It is true I have pointed out what may be a facet of his managerial style, that he tends to be very tactically cautious, but I stressed that had probably gained crucial points for you this season. I only thought, looking ahead to next season, that kind of statistic-based view would be useful.

Anyway, thanks for the good wishes and best of luck for tonight.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I find it hilarious when Norwich fans come to talk about Hughton.

It's a bit lame, he left you ages ago. And besides, we've played plenty of attacking football, 4-3 against Brum and Ipswich, 2-3 against Arsenal, and times when we've sat back and defended and hit on the counter like against Derby.

We are VERY limited in the attacking department, so most criticism is nonsensical as it removes context.

If I were a Norwich fan, I'd be less concerned about an ex manager at a club fighting relegation, and more concerned about how the best squad in the league isn't setting it on fire like Bournemouth, who's team is still largely the one that came up from league one.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I totally agree it was extremely polite and well put together but I thought my request for the continued chastisement of CH to stop was equally polite

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Defensive qualities are fine when your backs to the wall, CH has done well there. What happens when he has to pick his team, presuming he has some budget, for next season, hopefully he signs better than Best and Wolfsw. and has enough attacking qualities to get the fans excited, we shall see.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Defensive qualities are fine when your backs to the wall, CH has done well there. What happens when he has to pick his team, presuming he has some budget, for next season, hopefully he signs better than Best and Wolfsw. and has enough attacking qualities to get the fans excited, we shall see.

Or as good as players such as Kayal

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
Hopefully you guys get it now

I see Hughton's now lost at Blackpool, Wigan, Rotherham, Reading and drew 0-0 at Millwall

No matter how bad the opposition, away performances will nearly always be turgid

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Hopefully you guys get it now

I see Hughton's now lost at Blackpool, Wigan, Rotherham, Reading and drew 0-0 at Millwall

No matter how bad the opposition, away performances will nearly always be turgid

Turbid. Turgid means swollen or engorged!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here