[Misc] How you doing?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
My life's currently not remotely as hard as any of the posters in this thread, I've always been lucky and always feel that way, I'm doing quite well thankfully. The only smudge is that I'm struggling to finally be done with the last two exams of my master's degree, and even after getting the degree I'll probably have a really hard time finding a serious stable long-term job here in Italy. That's just life though. I've always felt quite useless given my self-esteem has always been very serenely low, but Italian university makes you feel it 2x times more.

Today's a slightly exciting day, both football-wise (very nervous day for all Juve fans, judiciary verdict on league points + EL knockout game) and personally as they'll tell me the results of my blood sample, and so if I have the right strain of covid antibodies that can help a guy with a lung transplant rejection who's infected by covid and isn't able to fight it off. I hope I do so I can go there to give my plasma at the hospital tomorrow morning, it'll make me feel a bit less useless. Definitely hope they find someone that has them in any case, that poor patient has had enough bad luck.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Sorry to hear that - it really sucks big time to loose a friend, especially in those circumstances. I just got hone yesterday from being n hospital since 19th March (bar two days!) but just before that, I lost my best friend of 25 years - they would have been the one person who would have sent me tons of get well cards over the past month and visited me in hospital so I have missed them really badly in the past month
- now I am home and don’t have the distraction of ‘hospital life’ around me, I feel their loss it even more and it’s a big gnawing hole in my life . Life can really throw us some lemons sometimes.
You are grieving the loss of your friend and you need to.
People say it gets easier, it doesn't, but coping does.
I can't believe what you have been through Zeberdi. You must be an incredibly strong person. Take care of yourself and best wishes

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Gave serious thought to ending it last month after developing chronic insomnia. As a result of being up with my Dad's night time dementia episodes my body clock completely packed up and no longer recognised the need for sleep. I would go days without sleeping, and on nights when I got some it would be no more than 1-2 hours of broken sleep. Through Feb and March I lost over 250 hours sleep minimum. What saved me was being referred to an online NHS program called Sleepstation, run out of the UKs only dedicated insomnia hospital in Newcastle, involving things like sleep restriction, not getting into bed before 2am and getting up 5 hours later regardless of whether you slept or not. I'm on week 6 of 7 now, and while it's a brutal program, it does work, and while I'm not back to my 8 hours I'm so much better, currently getting between 4.5 and 6 hours a night.
For anyone who experiences any level of insomnia, no matter how severe or not, it has an 80% success rate. It costs £300 but is free with GP referral. Highly recommended. I'd never had any sleep issues before this, but people can suffer a lifetime of insomnia. Horrible, horrible place to be, and few people understand what you're going through.

Great idea for a thread The Clamp :)
Really sorry to hear you’ve felt so low mate. Let’s hope the sleep therapy program works and you get back on track.

Fingers crossed for you

Quebec Seagull

Vive le football... LIBRE!
Oct 19, 2022
Gatineau, Québec, CANADA
Yesterday was Day 1 of Canada's biggest ever strike, and I was proud to be part of it. PSAC-AFPC is the country's most important public sector union, and we've been without a CBA or pay raise for 3 years. The government has refused to negotiate during all of this time, offering us a measly 2% per year raise over 4 years when the inflation rate is much, much higher. Our purchasing power has decreased by about 15% compared to 2019, as it has in much of the world, including the UK... and who knows when it will end? As a single father who's been raising 4 children alone for the past 8 years and has no child support from the children's mother or even a rudimentary support network (we live in the capital, far from family), I'm fighting for every cent I can to make their life as happy and comfortable as any parent would want their kids to be.

Over 100,000 public servants across Canada were out on the picket lines. There were thousands of us just at the intersection here in downtown Gatineau, in front of our Liberal MP's office. Motorists honked in approval and support -- if we can't convince the government to stop the economic race downwards, then private sector employers will take their cue from Ottawa and refuse to compensate Canadian workers so as to keep up with inflation.

Here's a television clip from my picket line. I was lucky to have a reporter ask me what I was fighting for. You can go to 1:42 to watch my 10-second heartfelt plea. I'm also quoted in the article just beneath the clip. ("Je suis père monoparental avec la garde exclusive depuis 8 ans. Pas de pension alimentaire, on survit sur mon salaire. Moi, je me bats pour mes enfants. - Un gréviste de l’AFPC")

https://tvagatineau.ca/des-milliers...BKbKUJHVYm9-kK2l-oUaQM-T6ADpf9HMBMOoraoRn6atU

I'm off to picket in an hour. "I support my barganing team / J'appuie mon équipe de négo" !

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Sorry to 'politicise' this thread, but what strikes me is how many posters are working damn hard (sometimes with second jobs) yet struggling financially - how often are we told that hard work is the route to prosperity and wealth, and that low incomes or poverty are a reflection of laziness? Seems to me that, very often, it is the people who work hardest (and do socially valuable jobs) who often struggle most financially due to low pay.

I did something really minor a fortnight ago which has already improved my mental health and self-esteem - finally closed my Facebook account. Seeing other people with 700 'friends', and receiving 150 'likes' and 'lols' for every mundane post or meme, was undermining my self-esteem and sense of worth. Now I've escaped from that rabbit-hole, I already feel in a much better place mentally - and apart from here on NSC - I'm not wasting time every day on anti-social media!
👍

Last edited:

razer

Mar 10, 2019
Ormskirk, Lancashire
After reading the majority of this read I am feeling a bit guilty because life is currently good for me.

Business is doing well, I have plenty of cash and I have recently been blessed with birth of my first grandchildren (identical twin boys and future Albion fans) who are still in high dependency five weeks later but doing well.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
11 years old is far too young to be worried about exams. SATS should be scrapped in my opinion. They only really exist as a way to measure schools’ performances and somehow an environment has developed where 11 year olds feel under pressure.
fully agree, he's anxious at the best of times and he's had some real problems over the last couple of years including ending up hospitalised due to his mental health. having to keep a very close eye currently

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Sorry to 'politicise' this thread, but what strikes me is how many posters are working damn hard (sometimes with second jobs) yet struggling financially - how often are we told that hard work is the route to prosperity and wealth, and that low incomes or poverty are a reflection of laziness? Seems to me that, very often, it is the people who work hardest (and do socially valuable jobs) who often struggle most financially due to low pay.

If we shy away from making the link between standard of living and politics then we risk missing the fact that who we vote for is important and does have a significant impact on the lives of millions of people in this country.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I work two jobs. One of them was recently TUPE’d over to another employer, a company I would never choose to work for. Horrid ethics, bad work culture, hugely corporate and ignorant of the sector I work in. They only pay me above minimum wage because they have no choice but to pay me what I was on. It’s still low but not the £9.50 an hour they pay when they can get away with it.

The other day my manager emailed me telling me someone was joining the team and would be coming in for a night shift for me to train them .

I realised a while back that I will never get a pay rise or promotion from them so what to lose? My reply;

“Sorry, I’m not paid to be shift-leader and I don’t train people for £xxx an hour”

I got a shitty mail back along the lines of “thanks for your support, I’ll make sure xxxx is there with you so you don’t have to exert yourself”

That was at the end of a 78 hour week which had included bandaging up the arm of a suicide attempt, being called a **** and countless other names, being threatened and having my life threatened by the people I protect and having on average 4-6 hours sleep a day.

I cannot tell you how much I do not like this company. I am not a name there, I am an employee number.

After working five years at the previous company with a flawless record, no sick days, no absences, never late for a shift, always doing overtime, staying late when day shift fails to arrive, dealing with countless medical incidents, physically removing some very dangerous men from our properties etc etc I had a really good reputation and it’s all for nothing.

I’m happy to report that I will be moving to another job soon.
TUPE .... crikey, haven't heard that word since the early 90s. Bad news that.
Hope you have better luck in the new job

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
fully agree, he's anxious at the best of times and he's had some real problems over the last couple of years including ending up hospitalised due to his mental health. having to keep a very close eye currently
If it helps you can tell him that in my view as a former teacher (sixth form) SATS results were completely irrelevant. How he gets on at secondary school will be based on how he works in class. At most SATS results might be used as a check, e.g why’s Joe doing so badly when he got such good SATS results

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
You are grieving the loss of your friend and you need to.
People say it gets easier, it doesn't, but coping does.
I can't believe what you have been through Zeberdi. You must be an incredibly strong person. Take care of yourself and best wishes
Thanks Pearl - I’m not strong at all, I get very stressed and struggle to cope at times and have come close to breaking down several times in the past 4 weeks in hospital, football (inc NSCers) , the nurses and sheer determination have got me through - I generally muddle through emotionally by trying not to dwell on myself, my poor health or recently loosing my friend or it gets too maudlin especially if I think about the financial struggle it is for me just to come up with money to pay voluntary drivers to get to and from hospital appointments! (1 more next week and 4 more coming up next month) - £60 yesterday to pick me up from home to take me to hospital for a CT scan (literally as I arrived home in an ambulance from being discharged by another hospital) and £150 last month to get home twice from a hospital in London ( after being blue lighted in) and now having to pay people to do the jobs I could do before, like gardening and cleaning - it’s taking a big chunk out on my already very low income! 😉 I suppose in the main, my main emotional struggle is being in so much pain all the time and too fatigued to do much more than make a cuppa and with no appetite to eat now because of constant nausea - all that’s difficult to cope with if i am honest but at least that’s balanced by having a roof over my head that’s paid for and peace and quiet to get plenty of rest! I also have a great voluntary job which I love and which I look forward to going back to when Im well enough again.

I echo the comments above about the NHS though - in the second hospital I was admitted to in beginning of April, despite being under resourced and understaffed, the staff, from the ambulance drivers to doctors and from the nurses to the auxiliary staff have been amazing to me given the current NHS situation. It takes a special type of person to respond with a smile to endless patient call bells and patients giving them a hard time/being rude or staff just not having enough help to do the job they trained for.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Writing Eulogy for my dear dad, funeral in a couple weeks. Y’day buried a dear friend. Another family friend also died last night. Apart from that, last 10 days have been been a blast!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Thanks Pearl - I’m not strong at all, I get very stressed and struggle to cope at times and have come close to breaking down several times in the past 4 weeks in hospital, football (inc NSCers) , the nurses and sheer determination have got me through - I generally muddle through emotionally by trying not to dwell on myself, my poor health or recently loosing my friend or it gets too maudlin especially if I think about the financial struggle it is for me just to come up with money to pay voluntary drivers to get to and from hospital appointments! (1 more next week and 4 more coming up next month) - £60 yesterday to pick me up from home to take me to hospital for a CT scan (literally as I arrived home in an ambulance from being discharged by another hospital) and £150 last month to get home twice from a hospital in London ( after being blue lighted in) and now having to pay people to do the jobs I could do before, like gardening and cleaning - it’s taking a big chunk out on my already very low income! 😉 I suppose in the main, my main emotional struggle is being in so much pain all the time and too fatigued to do much more than make a cuppa and with no appetite to eat now because of constant nausea - all that’s difficult to cope with if i am honest but at least that’s balanced by having a roof over my head that’s paid for and peace and quiet to get plenty of rest! I also have a great voluntary job which I love and which I look forward to going back to when Im well enough again.

I echo the comments above about the NHS though - in the second hospital I was admitted to in beginning of April, despite being under resourced and understaffed, the staff, from the ambulance drivers to doctors and from the nurses to the auxiliary staff have been amazing to me given the current NHS situation. It takes a special type of person to respond with a smile to endless patient call bells and patients giving them a hard time/being rude or staff just not having enough help to do the job they trained for.
From a purely pragmatic viewpoint, do you get a government PIP? Personal Independence Payment?
They pay for things like transport to and from hospital etc.

I think you may very well be entitled to this regular allowance, if you’re not receiving it already.

You should be able to register on Gov.U.K. Website.

Hope things improve for you and sorry for your loss.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

Gosh, I'm so out of touch. I thought hospital transport was free.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Not going to lie...I've found things tough since coming back from California last July. Got myself in a real funk after possibly the best vacation weve ever had, and have struggled through the winter, what with cost of living etc. My motivation for anything has seemingly packed its bags and left. The last couple of years I've used cycling to cope with stress...riding about 2.5 - 3k miles a year...but I cant be bothered with that much these days now either.

Add to all this I found out on Xmas Eve that my mate from college had passed away, then my neighbour passed away in January after being diagnosed with cancer in November, and another mate was sectioned in March after having a really bad breakdown.

Im coping, but do find the days long and tedious. Work is slow right now - while the wife is working seven days a week at RSCH and stressed out beyond belief herself - and Im just finding everything a bit "meh"....

Thank goodness I have my sport to enjoy - and also my kids keeping me proud & excited for their futures - otherwise I think I would've totally lost it by now.

Last edited:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Not going to lie...I've found things tough since coming back from California last July. Got myself in a real funk after possibly the best vacation weve ever had, and have struggled through the winter, what with cost of living etc. My motivation for anything has seemingly packed its bags and left. The last couple of years I've used cycling to cope with stress...riding about 2.5 - 3k miles a year...but I cant be bothered with that much these days now either.

Add to all this I found out on Xmas Eve that my mate from college had passed away, then my neighbour passed away in January after being diagnosed with cancer in November, and another mate was sectioned in March after having a really bad breakdown.

Im coping, but do find the days long and tedious. Work is slow right now - while the wife is working seven days a week at RSCH and stressed out beyond belief herself - and Im just finding everything a bit "meh"....

Thank goodness I have my sport to enjoy - and also my kids keeping me proud & excited for their futures - otherwise I think I would've totally lost it by now.
I hope you get through this soon and get back on your bike!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports