Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] How you doing?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
A friend committed suicide last month. Doing ok but just all so terribly sad.
Sorry to hear that - it really sucks big time to loose a friend, especially in those circumstances. I just got hone yesterday from being n hospital since 19th March (bar two days!) but just before that, I lost my best friend of 25 years - they would have been the one person who would have sent me tons of get well cards over the past month and visited me in hospital so I have missed them really badly in the past month
- now I am home and don’t have the distraction of ‘hospital life’ around me, I feel their loss it even more and it’s a big gnawing hole in my life . Life can really throw us some lemons sometimes.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
We're very lucky that our club are bringing us so much joy at the moment.
I hated the weeks/months during recent seasons when we were hovering around the relegation zone.
It genuinely is an added stress that we're all very fortunate to be swerving.

Can you imagine how all those Leeds, Everton, Leicester and Forest fans are currently feeling?
(and I'm not taking the piss).
Oh yes. When you think about it, when you think of all the other problems facing us as individuals, as British citizens and as overall members of humanity, then whether one group of men can kick a ball into a string bag more often than another group of men shouldn't make any difference to our emotional well being whatsoever - but it does!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I saw one of those encouraging wall plaques the other day which always strike me as a bit twee and obvious - the sort of thing that says “you’ve achieved more than you think you have.”

but after reading through this thread, it emphasises the fourth and final line, which struck me at the time: “you’re more loved than you think you are” - even sometimes by people who have never met you and might be on the other side of the world.

thank you, Clamp, for starting it. I don’t know if it went as you expected it to……

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I really feel for those that through no fault of their own, struggle to find a job that pays a living wage with any fringe benefits, and have aero career prospects. They are not exactly exempt from spiralling inflation, or greedy, irresponsible landlords. My generation considered property ownership a virtual inevitability. Add Brexit and the fact that Spurs were recently gifted 3 points against us, and I'm struggling to see any positives going forward. One of my life ambitions remains to live to see Putin's funeral on TV.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Really badly at the moment, tbh. Not enough money to meet all the constant demands. No joy in anything. I can look forward to late summer when I can boost income with drawing a bit of pension to supplement funds, but until that day arrives each day seems hopeless. My credit report is so poor that no bank ( or even sub sub sub prime lender ) will tide me over in the meantime. Oh well. Chalk off one more day I suppose.

Last edited:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Sorry to 'politicise' this thread, but what strikes me is how many posters are working damn hard (sometimes with second jobs) yet struggling financially - how often are we told that hard work is the route to prosperity and wealth, and that low incomes or poverty are a reflection of laziness? Seems to me that, very often, it is the people who work hardest (and do socially valuable jobs) who often struggle most financially due to low pay.

I did something really minor a fortnight ago which has already improved my mental health and self-esteem - finally closed my Facebook account. Seeing other people with 700 'friends', and receiving 150 'likes' and 'lols' for every mundane post or meme, was undermining my self-esteem and sense of worth. Now I've escaped from that rabbit-hole, I already feel in a much better place mentally - and apart from here on NSC - I'm not wasting time every day on anti-social media!

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Sorry to 'politicise' this thread, but what strikes me is how many posters are working damn hard (sometimes with second jobs) yet struggling financially - how often are we told that hard work is the route to prosperity and wealth, and that low incomes or poverty are a reflection of laziness? Seems to me that, very often, it is the people who work hardest (and do socially valuable jobs) who often struggle most financially due to low pay.

I did something really minor a fortnight ago which has already improved my mental health and self-esteem - finally closed my Facebook account. Seeing other people with 700 'friends', and receiving 150 'likes' and 'lols' for every mundane post or meme, was undermining my self-esteem and sense of worth. Now I've escaped from that rabbit-hole, I already feel in a much better place mentally - and apart from here on NSC - I'm not wasting time every day on anti-social media!
I've long been tempted to do that myself. problem is it's my communication source for the things I do enjoy and participate with. as a result though I have a fairly narrow group of friends all of whom I know and see at various times of year I've never gone in for the whole FB cull thing but as I am stepping back from some stuff I may cut those particular links

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Gave serious thought to ending it last month after developing chronic insomnia. As a result of being up with my Dad's night time dementia episodes my body clock completely packed up and no longer recognised the need for sleep. I would go days without sleeping, and on nights when I got some it would be no more than 1-2 hours of broken sleep. Through Feb and March I lost over 250 hours sleep minimum. What saved me was being referred to an online NHS program called Sleepstation, run out of the UKs only dedicated insomnia hospital in Newcastle, involving things like sleep restriction, not getting into bed before 2am and getting up 5 hours later regardless of whether you slept or not. I'm on week 6 of 7 now, and while it's a brutal program, it does work, and while I'm not back to my 8 hours I'm so much better, currently getting between 4.5 and 6 hours a night.
For anyone who experiences any level of insomnia, no matter how severe or not, it has an 80% success rate. It costs £300 but is free with GP referral. Highly recommended. I'd never had any sleep issues before this, but people can suffer a lifetime of insomnia. Horrible, horrible place to be, and few people understand what you're going through.

Great idea for a thread The Clamp :)

Last edited:

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
It’s definitely GWR in origin with all that extraneous brass on the top, Bulldog maybe? Looks too tall for a City.

Come'on Norman spill the beans, Outside framed 4-4-0 by the looks, so I reckon A1X is on the mark! Can't beat a Loco from God's Wonderful Railway!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Samaritans on 116 123
Chelsea done a small publicity thing with six guys on the pitch spelling out the number. Nice touch and a lot more needs doing. As they say, everyone can talk about football but it's 'how are you really doing' that is the question you need to ask your best mate.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I’ll admit. I have to work every bit of overtime I can right now. I’m not in poverty but I used it be able to take a long weekend here and there. Now? Not a chance. I’m fine in the sense that I have that option. But damn! I could do with some time off 🤣
i really feel for you guys at the moment Britain is currently being ridden into the ground by idiots , i hope there can be an end to the corporate gouging and political madness that has gripped the country , such a beautiful place with so much culture and history to offer being white anted from within by various ****s.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Thanks for the thread. I'm home recovering from an unexpected week's stay in hospital (perforated ulcer) - I met many patients with more life/quality threatening conditions than mine, but my life did flash before my eyes before the ambulance turned up.
So, physically and emotionally fragile, and trying to sensibly balance my recovery needs with supporting the needs of the family (who actually seem to have missed me a bit😂). I'll need to put myself first for a while at least, and that hasn't really been my style for some years.
No financial pressures (well, except savings reducing annually at the moment...), just helping the wife and kids keep themselves on the rails.
Trying not to read too much about our mainly shit politics, enjoying the Albion's performances and team spirit under de Zerbi, and consoled by a lovely Spring morning here in Wiltshire. Will try not to break anything abdominal when watching the semi on Sunday.
All best, everyone.
PS I forgot to say...the care from Paramedics, Doctors, Surgeons (I was operated on at 11pm Easter Sunday, and they had others after me)), all nursing staff, ward orderlies was absolutely effing OUTSTANDING...all done with a caring smile despite severe shortages and the junior doctors strike. Nurses do such an incredible job. Any NHS staff on here...take a bow please.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Really sorry to hear. You don't just end your life, you also 'end' the lives of family to an extent, plus friends are massively impacted. A good friend of mine failed at his third attempt earlier this month. He was gutted to wake up in hospital and find he hadn't succeeded, but he's doing better now.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
David Brent, remember him, said in his legendary motivational speech for Cooper and Webb, about everyone taking their problems to the table and on hearing everyone elses they would ironically be pleased to leave the table with just theirs.

It was obviously comedy but a couple of days ago it struck me how true it actually was.

Tuesday was the 5th anniversary when I effectively fell off the cliff, mostly my own doing, extra marital affair exposed, woman scorned attempting blackmail and then full on meltdown, clearly there were other underlying issues but the straw that broke the camel's back etc.

But on the very same day my friends 3 year old son choked on a piece of apple and as a result of the internal and brain injuries inflicted had his life support machine turned off a couple of days later.

So there's me thinking my life was 'over', but clearly it wasn't with help and support in the resulting years and actually focusing on what matters, I'm getting back to where I want to be, my mate has in far worse circumstances got on with his life, been blessed with two more youngsters and whilst he will never forget the past is very much looking forward.

The last couple of days have made me think even more, bad times don't last forever, and there is truly always someone worse off, but the key is the realisation that its okay not to be okay, and the most important thing is to seek help, and talk, to anyone and everyone if necessary.♥️

NSC is an ecletic mix, but one of its USP's is that in the main we are all here to look out for each other.

Last edited:

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Gave serious thought to ending it last month after developing chronic insomnia. As a result of being up with my Dad's night time dementia episodes my body clock completely packed up and no longer recognised the need for sleep. I would go days without sleeping, and on nights when I got some it would be no more than 1-2 hours of broken sleep. Through Feb and March I lost over 250 hours sleep minimum. What saved me was being referred to an online NHS program called Sleepstation, run out of the UKs only dedicated insomnia hospital in Newcastle, involving things like sleep restriction, not getting into bed before 2am and getting up 5 hours later regardless of whether you slept or not. I'm on week 6 of 7 now, and while it's a brutal program, it does work, and while I'm not back to my 8 hours I'm so much better, currently getting between 4.5 and 6 hours a night.
For anyone who experiences any level of insomnia, no matter how severe or not, it has an 80% success rate. It costs £300 but is free with GP referral. Highly recommended. I'd never had any sleep issues before this, but people can suffer a lifetime of insomnia. Horrible, horrible place to be, and few people understand what you're going through.

Well done CM. Just well done. Share the small milestones of progress, and celebrate them in a small way. Keep going. Well done.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Really sorry to hear this, and don't be afraid to reach out for counselling if you think you need it.

I hope, but actually and sadly don't hold much hope, that in the great Covid wash up. when they decide what they did right or wrong, the neglect of the general mental health of wellbeing of a number of people in the UK during lockdown is addressed.

The will no doubt massage or even alter the figures but I know professionally there has been a huge spike in adult suicides in the UK since March 2020.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Obviously, we’re doing great football wise. But life is a bit tough at the moment.

How are you doing? Coping with things okay? Anything we can help with?
Thank you for starting this thread. I am aware that several of my friends and family are suffering psychologically and economically and I am so sorry to learn about all those who have expressed how difficult life is at the moment. Whilst I have had to significantly 'tighten the belt' it doesn't compare with the privations and near despair several posters on here have mentioned. Looking forward to better days......

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Tough week, people at work trying to make their life easier by making mine diffiicult, a cancer scare that I'm still waiting on, and to top it all looks like I may lose my dog as his quality of life massively deteriorating, that was a tough visit to vet tonight.

But , I want to look on bright side , hopefully I'll get all clear, work, well its only money, (I'm so aware how flippant that sounds and apologise but we manage and long ago gave up on "keeping up with Jones'") and I have a cracking supportive family, hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll be able to look back and wonder why I got so het up.

Dog though, I'm gutted, 14 years old and a real family dog, that has broken all of us!

I shouldn't moan as I'm quite sure many are far worse off. And I count my blessings.
You don't sound flippant, it is only money. Because of greed and power we can't get along without it, but other stuff is far more important.
Heartbreaking to read about your lovely dog .... so sorry

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London

So sorry to hear that but pleased there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here