Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How will you feel if you vote for the losing side in the referendum ?

How will you feel if you vote for the losing side in the referendum ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It will be a nightmare whatever the outcome, because unless we get immigration down to below 30,000 within 12 months, unless we remove all the hoards of East Europeans pucking the crops across the south east and replace them with chirpy rosy cheeked English youth, unless the trains start running on time without overcrowding, unless the health services comes suddenly out of 'crisis', unless every parent gets their kid into the school of choice, unless we get to fish in British waters that extend from Jersey to the Shetlands without any foreign incursion, unless all the gangs of paedophiles are rounded up and deported, unless all our jobs become more secure and well paid, and unless house prices fall to a level where every rosy cheeked chirpy hard working young English person can get a mortgage, then, if we have voted Brexit, the Remainers will be entitled to say "We Told You So. Our plight has **** All To Do With Europe, you eejits!", and if we vote Remain then the Brexiters will say "We Told You So. Our Plight is Entirely the Fault of Europe, you numpties!".

So whatever way the vote goes, things will have to improve very quickly and visibly so on all fronts or there will be a-weeping and a-wailing and a-gnashing of teeth of the like this country has never seen since we came bottom in the Eurovision Song Contest.

That said, if we vote remain, as others have said, one has a feeling that the gnashing of teeth is likely to be more prominent than the weeping and wailing, and Nigel will be back where he is most comfortable, rabble rousing, and it is likely that the issue will fester and fester, with UKIP attracting more votes, and possibly a lot of Tory MP defectors, because of the two, I suspect the Brexiters are more likely to be 'it's my ball and I am keeping it' types than the Remainers, who are not likely to flock to Corbyn in their droves, and more likely to become sad problem drinkers, or is that just me?

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
It will be a nightmare whatever the outcome, because unless we get immigration down to below 30,000 within 12 months, unless we remove all the hoards of East Europeans pucking the crops across the south east and replace them with chirpy rosy cheeked English youth, unless the trains start running on time without overcrowding, unless the health services comes suddenly out of 'crisis', unless every parent gets their kid into the school of choice, unless we get to fish in British waters that extend from Jersey to the Shetlands without any foreign incursion, unless all the gangs of paedophiles are rounded up and deported, unless all our jobs become more secure and well paid, and unless house prices fall to a level where every rosy cheeked chirpy hard working young English person can get a mortgage, then, if we have voted Brexit, the Remainers will be entitled to say "We Told You So. Our plight has **** All To Do With Europe, you eejits!", and if we vote Remain then the Brexiters will say "We Told You So. Our Plight is Entirely the Fault of Europe, you numpties!".

So whatever way the vote goes, things will have to improve very quickly and visibly so on all fronts or there will be a-weeping and a-wailing and a-gnashing of teeth of the like this country has never seen since we came bottom in the Eurovision Song Contest.

That said, if we vote remain, as others have said, one has a feeling that the gnashing of teeth is likely to be more prominent than the weeping and wailing, and Nigel will be back where he is most comfortable, rabble rousing, and it is likely that the issue will fester and fester, with UKIP attracting more votes, and possibly a lot of Tory MP defectors, because of the two, I suspect the Brexiters are more likely to be 'it's my ball and I am keeping it' types than the Remainers, who are not likely to flock to Corbyn in their droves, and more likely to become sad problem drinkers, or is that just me?

Totally agree.

The thing is with first past the post voting, a huge number of people are going to be unhappy at the result.

If Remain win and it's close, then I think we will see pressure for another referendum in 10 years or so. In fact unless the result is Leave, then we will have this divisive issue in politics until there is a Leave result or until there is a significant change in the voting demographic.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Just from the look of this thread it looks like the Remainers will be losing their minds if they lose.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Not so sure seeing all the sneering contempt that has suddenly appeared on NSC from numerous Remainer's just because the polls have shifted towards Brexit.

No matter who wins the other side will probably have plenty of opportunity to say I told you so ...

-- it's unquestionable that the Leave camp have more passion on their side than the Remain
-- more passion leads to more disappointment if things don't go your way
-- therefore the Leave camp will be more upset if the vote doesn't go their way

Are you questioning: one of the two premises; the logic; something else?

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Totally agree.

The thing is with first past the post voting, a huge number of people are going to be unhappy at the result.

If Remain win and it's close, then I think we will see pressure for another referendum in 10 years or so. In fact unless the result is Leave, then we will have this divisive issue in politics until there is a Leave result or until there is a significant change in the voting demographic.

I'm not so sure this is a bad thing, it lets those in charge here and in the EU that we've voted to remain but we're watching you a lot more closely now.

Taking away all the guff that has been thrown at the public from both sides, what it has done hopefully is wake the nation up a bit to what the EU actually do.

If we do vote remain I will be disappointed but will just get on with it like the rest of the nation and hope that all this ''we can reform the EU from inside'' actually comes to fruition.

It won't, but I can only hope.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

This is not looking like a good scenario for the Tory party. Equally, Trump does not look like a good scenario for the GOP. Could the two greatest electoral forces in world history tear themselves apart simultaneously? Centuries of history suggest that neither of these will happen, but we're living in a very strange historical moment in which the long-term political consensus is being challenged, and new forces are coming to the fore.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Options will be limited, the EU will be closed to us.

I guess it depends on what my wife and kids think/want, but I wouldn't limit our options to just the EU.

Overall it's not that I want specifically to be part of one big happy clappy europe, it's where the UK would be heading both economically and socially.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If the vote is to Leave, then I will seriously consider moving to another country.
Get into Scotland quick, hope they have another referendum and leave the UK, and further hope Scotland staying in the EU is part of the complex twin track UK breakup / Brexit negotiations ? ???

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I go along with the view that the referendum has made it incontrovertible that our politics is bust. There are many factors that has led to this, which include parliament, the political parties (especially the Big Two), the media (especially the print media), the electorate and the left.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I'm not so sure this is a bad thing, it lets those in charge here and in the EU that we've voted to remain but we're watching you a lot more closely now.

Taking away all the guff that has been thrown at the public from both sides, what it has done hopefully is wake the nation up a bit to what the EU actually do.

If we do vote remain I will be disappointed but will just get on with it like the rest of the nation and hope that all this ''we can reform the EU from inside'' actually comes to fruition.

It won't, but I can only hope.

Yeah, I think the EU needs reforming, a shake up or whatever the term is. My preferred outcome is remain, but with a significant leave vote which in turn encourages change within the EU or at the very least our interaction with it.

That said, I think you maybe right as it's possible the pro-EU thinking will be "right that's out of the way let's crack on".

Either way I'm not very positive about the outcome TBH.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Get into Scotland quick, hope they have another referendum and leave the UK, and further hope Scotland staying in the EU is part of the complex twin track UK breakup / Brexit negotiations ? ???

This would probably be the most likely as my wife is Scottish, but as I said in another post I'd probably consider other options too.

Plus I hate midges.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Sad as I think staying is the best interests of the U.K. And the rest of Europe

However we will never know Which was the best option

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
My attitude is we have done pretty well for a 1000 years and will do so in the future. Firstly we need to keep the borders secure for our current citizens (EU will never do that) and then build up our trade relationships. Fifth biggest economy and a bigger importer than exporter will see other nations very willing to trade.
If we vote remain will just have to hope (not optimistic with the new Eastern European countries demanding so much) that we can force needed reforms in the EU, which the Remains are so confident about.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
-- it's unquestionable that the Leave camp have more passion on their side than the Remain
-- more passion leads to more disappointment if things don't go your way
-- therefore the Leave camp will be more upset if the vote doesn't go their way

Are you questioning: one of the two premises; the logic; something else?

Agree many on the Leave camp have more passion and will be upset if the vote doesn't go their way.

But many on the Remain side seem to think an economic crisis awaits if the vote doesn't go their way and a more Right wing Tory administration is inevitable and the UK may well break up and numerous other terrifying consequences will happen ... therefore if they really believe this they would be a tad miffed shirley?

Judging by the tone I also think some would rather this happen than be proved completely wrong.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Just from the look of this thread it looks like the Remainers will be losing their minds if they lose.

Just from the look of this thread,most of them already have!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here