Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How will you feel if Scotland votes YES?

How will you feel if the Scots vote YES?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Yes I would be gutted and think it would be bad for Britain and Scotland. Not blaming them for wanting independence but we have been a united region for years and a split would be like your favorite uncle leaving your house for good after years of good times.

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
Breaking up of big countries seems to be a general tendency in Europe after the Cold War--first in the east and south of the continent (the Soviet Union, Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia), then in the west where separatist forces in Northern Italy, Spain and the UK are growing ever stronger. I wouldn't be surprised to see independent Basque state, Scotland, Padania and Catalunya in 10-15 years time.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Trouble is if they voted no nearly half the Scottish populate would feel more apathy at the prospect of power coming from Westminster. The momentum even in defeat would be for the yes camp to bolster support for another vote at another time. It won't go away, the result will only encourage the yes voters to convince the no voters to vote for independence and a solution which takes the central powers from *the english*

Can't see it. Once this vote goes through, the dye is cast. They're not going to keep having independence referendums every few years, its not like an election. If there is 'another time' it won't be seen in any of our lifetimes, not for generations.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Would be gutted at the break up of the union, but there's a little part of me that that would like to see them fall flat on their faces in the event of a Yes vote.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Indifferent really. My only concern if they vote yes, is that we do not have monetary union. I did hear a yes representative on the radio say that it was irrelevant whether Westminster did or did not want monetary union - they would still retain the Pound? Not sure how true this is, but it was a worry when I heard this. Anyone know whether true?

The only other thing that slightly irritates me is that the yes campaign seem to base a lot of their campaign on tory bashing, and the national health is only safe in Scotland if you vote yes. These things for me are not referendum questions. In 50 years time, they might have voted in a load of Scottish Torries dismantling their health system!! There was a time when large parts of Scotland were Tory. The yes campaign seems to be based upon a "General Election" feel - but you cannot change your mind in 4/5 years time.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Indifferent really. My only concern if they vote yes, is that we do not have monetary union. I did hear a yes representative on the radio say that it was irrelevant whether Westminster did or did not want monetary union - they would still retain the Pound? Not sure how true this is, but it was a worry when I heard this. Anyone know whether true?

They can use the pound, but will have zero influence over any monetary policy. Although in theory as the Bank of England is independent, neither does the existing UK government. Practice is a bit different obviously.

There's a number of countries who use either the US Dollar or the Euro (generally as a successor to using Francs or Deutschemarks) without any agreement from the Fed or the ECB. For a different option, Andorra used the Euro with explicit consent of the ECB for 13 years before eventually becoming a de-facto eurozone country with coin issuing rights.

There's another possibility which is to create a "Scottish Pound" thats 1=1 with Sterling but that can be expensive or even impossible to maintain the conversion rate in reality.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Not particularly bothered. Im not Scottish. I seriously doubt if they will vote for leaving the Union though.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
If they vote yes im looking forward to no longer having to see what the latest score in the Elgin v. Berwick match is. I assume sky will have to launch a Sky Sports Scotland channel and they can put all the scottish monkey tennis on there. On a serious note i think Salmonds smugness will reach even greater irritating proportions and he will dissapear up his own arse.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
David Cameron has told them they won't be able to keep the pound and that if they vote yes, they will have to hand over all their money at once, which will then be shared equally among the remaining people of the UK to help pay for all the "No more Sweaties!!" celebrations.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
As a Scot living in Sussex for the past 35 years and whilst fully aware of this issue, it is only just beginning to sink in just how massive this is for all of us, and even more so for the huge number of Scots living in other parts of the UK and AND the huge number of non Scots, English, Welsh and Northern Irish who have happily settled north of the border, are we all now 'stateless'. Personally I am hopeful and fairly certain that a NO vote will result but hope that the UK government, at the time of agreeing to the referendum, will have inserted a clause in the paperwork that no further referendum would be allowed for at least 20 years, principally on the basis of cost of the exercise and by which time Salmond et al will have finally realised that their push for notoriety will have passed and any sensible citizen of Scotland (and the UK) will have realised that this referendum was no more than attention seeking.
I may be wrong but I am convinced that after the 18th we will be looking at the status quo.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
As a Scot living in Sussex for the past 35 years and whilst fully aware of this issue, it is only just beginning to sink in just how massive this is for all of us, and even more so for the huge number of Scots living in other parts of the UK and AND the huge number of non Scots, English, Welsh and Northern Irish who have happily settled north of the border, are we all now 'stateless'. Personally I am hopeful and fairly certain that a NO vote will result but hope that the UK government, at the time of agreeing to the referendum, will have inserted a clause in the paperwork that no further referendum would be allowed for at least 20 years, principally on the basis of cost of the exercise and by which time Salmond et al will have finally realised that their push for notoriety will have passed and any sensible citizen of Scotland (and the UK) will have realised that this referendum was no more than attention seeking.
I may be wrong but I am convinced that after the 18th we will be looking at the status quo.

I hope you are right and think you will be.

Hopefully the reality is becoming clearer with many of Scotland's major employers indicating their intention to move South.

I know for a fact that this is no empty threat from the financial services companies and some may well do so anyway irrespective of the result. This could be a major own goal from Salmond.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I hope you are right and think you will be.

Hopefully the reality is becoming clearer with many of Scotland's major employers indicating their intention to move South.

I know for a fact that this is no empty threat from the financial services companies and some may well do so anyway irrespective of the result. This could be a major own goal from Salmond.

Not necessarily generally so but in the event of no currency union (which is most likely the potential outcome of a YES vote), for example, Pension Funds, in order to avoid potential currency 'problems' would have to ring fence funds relating to English, Welsh and Northern Irish clients and re-establish them south of the border in new 'Funds' and this would certainly have implications for employment, ie. loss of jobs in Scotland and new opportunities in (inevitably) London.

Last edited:

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Just read the numerous posts and it really boils down to this.

Salmond and his bunch of cohorts with a zero fiscal prospectus and near zero tolerance to a 'No' vote
or
a consensus across the board ,'democratic keep us together' and work it out campaign.

Even I am not old enough to have seen 1920s pre-Nazi Germany; but honestly this is nearly as close to what I imagine it must have been.

SNP and their campaign have shown no tolerance at all for any 'No' sentiment. The cyberNATS have been trolling non stop and physically defacing 'No' and 'Better Together' posters and banners. Also beating people up and egging/bricking properties? Is that acceptable? Democracy? I don't think so?

Salmond has divided a Nation, a Great Nation, all in one fell swoop. He is a nasty nasty man!

I am so distraught by it all that, if it does go to a Yes then me and I am sure many many others will sadly be forced to leave these fine shores for a 'non Nationalistic' fair and pro British environment.

So I say to you people who say 'I don't care!' or 'So what?'. I ask that you reconsider and look at how this will affect you and the rest of the UK? For surely it will, in a most sinister and bad bad way!

This ain't no laughing matter!

TMNBA

TTF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here