Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] How to fix VAR ?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
May have been mentioned, but if you listen to the VAR checks you can hear all the officials name check the big team players ‘Harry Maguire this and that’ yet with the others it’s ’Fulham 19’ - just shows the mindset and potential bias imo. Joke.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Until technology is 100% on everything, especially offside, put it in the bin and forget it ever happened.
THIS! There is NO technology apart from the goal decision system. It’s currently re-refereeing using just broadcast cameras for everything. Offside can be sorted (for elite, top level football) by dedicated cameras, sensors and real-time instantaneous reporting. The balance is a problem because clear and obvious is (currently) impossible to define or implement. The entire thing needs parking until the TECHNOLOGY and VAR rules and processes are drafted, agreed and then rigorously tested.

Morvangull

Oct 19, 2010
Bognor Regis
30 second rule. The VAR has 30 seconds to decide whether to change the on field decision. If they can't make a call within 30 seconds then the on field decision stands.

It would mean clear and obvious errors get overturned, but really marginal ones don't. Then pay referees a lot more money and get much better people doing it who give interviews after games explaining their decisions and are held to account.
I agree 30 seconds is enough time for both penalty and offsides and if it is still unclear in that time the on field decision should stand. Also i agree with another poster that slow motion replays can change the look of an incident and only normal time replays should be shown as that goes back to the roots of the game and how decisions used to be made.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
as we see in the Newcastle game, problem is as much inept or corrupt officials using the VAR, who cant see whats right in front of them. so why bother with the delays?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
30 second rule. The VAR has 30 seconds to decide whether to change the on field decision. If they can't make a call within 30 seconds then the on field decision stands.

It would mean clear and obvious errors get overturned, but really marginal ones don't. Then pay referees a lot more money and get much better people doing it who give interviews after games explaining their decisions and are held to account.
I was going to say much the same. there should be a timer when a decision to go to VAR is made. if the timer runs out the onfield decision should stand. no clear and obvious decision should take more than a minute to work out

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Whatever changes are made they will be designed to maximize the role and importance of the on-pitch ref. Therein lies the problem.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
VAR was introduced to correct refereeing errors. It worked twice in the AEK match. Why would you not want that?
This. VAR has obviously corrected more of the falsely called important decisions. I accept that some people would rather have a Brighton goal falsely chalked out than have an erroneous offside call corrected, in order to restore spontaneity. I say f*** THAT!

Let's simply find ways of improving the rubric (which will mean some tweaks to the rules, for example 'what is a handball?')

The people saying 'bin it' are howling at the moon. May as well call for an end to blood alcohol tests in car crashes.

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No we can't, FFS! You think some bloke guessing where to draw lines on a blurry freeze-frame with no real idea when the ball is exactly in motion is proving this? Oh and it takes three minutes for this charade to play out. Because this is the system we currently have.
I agree! (And I said much the same in earlier posts). It IS however the only straw that those (and it's a dwindling number fast approaching zero) who think VAR has 'improved decision making and improved the game' can clutch at. Although as you, me and others have pointed out, whilst it's sometimes hard to tell exactly if it is offside or not and it takes way too long, it is still an area, like goal line technology where there is a yes/no answer. Although obviously sometimes it's so minimal that it's like debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Last edited:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I would support the extension of Goal line technology to make corner/throw in decisions.
Seems logical to extend the technology, where it has been proven to work.

In regards to the rest of the technology, we need to be backing away from re-reffing decisions.
The technology isn't improving the decision making.

Either the guidelines need to be amended to help the officials use the technology, or we adopt an appeal process similar to Tennis/cricket.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Whatever changes are made they will be designed to maximize the role and importance of the on-pitch ref. Therein lies the problem.
Couldn’t disagree more. Power needs to be given back to the onfield ref, not have every tiny aspect of the game re-reffed by some numpty hundreds of miles away while we all stand around wondering wtf is going on.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I agree! (And I said much the same in earlier posts). It IS however the only straw that those (and it's a dwindling number fast approaching zero) who think VAR has 'improved decision making and improved the game' can clutch at. Although as you, me and others have pointed out whilst it's sometimes hard to tell exactly if it's offside or not and it takes way too long, it is still an area, like goal line technology where there is a yes/no answer. Although obviously sometimes it's so minimal that it's like debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.
Offside is a yes/no answer, but only based on a relatively arbitrary moment in time.
The freezeframe isn't precise enough to guarantee that the decision is made at the right moment, therefore the decision can never be binary.

There needs to be a "too close to call" factor leaving the onfield decision standing.
This in itself would need new approaches technology as a wrongly flagged offside, affects the game.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
The company that runs VAR disagrees

Even have a Liverpool style call for a replay

Is your German friend a Munich fan by chance?

Another abysmal call in the Newcastle game tonight, not an English official in sight.
It’s obviously contagious.

still stand by my point that if you can’t operate VAR correctly then you aren’t fit to referee. If VAR has done anything it’s highlight just how shit referee’s are at the moment. VAR should be a piece of piss compared to refereeing a game.

and yes that was an awful decision.

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
I think learn from other sports which have been using this type of technology for longer.
I Like the idea of a thirty seconds rule which makes it a far better spectacle and most of the decisions will be correct and it aligns with “umpire’s call” which empowers rather than undermines the officials. Also in rugby union the referee controls the conversation whereas in football they are sent to the monitor and almost obliged to agree with the VAR decision where’s the referee understands far more of what is going on on the field.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Couldn’t disagree more. Power needs to be given back to the onfield ref, not have every tiny aspect of the game re-reffed by some numpty hundreds of miles away while we all stand around wondering wtf is going on.
But what you describe is not what happens. The numptie says 'what do you think about this potential handball, O great on-field ref?', or simply decides that even though they think the referee's decision is wrong they won't ask them to check because the difference of opinion is not based on a clear and obvious error..

The only decisions called by VAR are offsides.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here