Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How TINPOT were Bournemouth?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
AFCB are doing ok considering their limited resources. Its good to see them in the Championship.

But its curious how such a major south coast town is not able to command an average support of say 15k plus, especially since they updated Dean Court. I appreciate they have local competition from Southampton but surely its cheaper to support a local side rather than travel and pay Prem ticket prices?? Maybe its because the genteel and well heeled good folk of the area are willing to shell out on a trip to St Marys, which seems a pity.

Note: this is an observation about The Cherries, not about our crowds.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Their 'limited resources' are a bit of a myth. See the £3m subs bench for further details.

The 12,000 capacity won't help...

That's my point - why only 12k capacity - is it because there isn't the demand, if so why? They play ok footie in the Championship following a successful season in League 1 and have a well regarded young manager, with a reasonable squad. That subs bench is quite modest for the Championship.

Why isn't Bournemouth more of a footie hotbed? Then it could have a stadium, attendances and more money to maybe push into the top half of the Championship.

Is it apathy?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Why isn't Bournemouth more of a footie hotbed? Then it could have a stadium, attendances and more money to maybe push into the top half of the Championship.

Is it apathy?

The entire population of Boscombe is made up of pensioners, Poles and scouse drug dealers, so possibly, yes.

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
I like Bournemouth as a team and I like a lot of their players (Cook and Elphick for obvious reasons, and O'Kane is one of my all-time favourite players for various reasons) but growing up in Poole, going to school with Cherries fans who took so much pleasure in taking the mick out of Brighton whenever we lost...I am extremely torn. I like it when they win, but also hate it, and i love it when they lose, but also feel a bit sad.

Is O'Kane liked in Bournemouth?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That's my point - why only 12k capacity - is it because there isn't the demand, if so why? They play ok footie in the Championship following a successful season in League 1 and have a well regarded young manager, with a reasonable squad. That subs bench is quite modest for the Championship.

Is it apathy?
I'd say with Bournemouth's catchment area and population, they could be as big as a club like Huddersfield. If someone built a 22,000 stadium on the outskirts of town. But I'm afraid a modest 12,000 all-seater simply screams "small time" to potential players, investors and local businesses alike.

stevejoneslegend

Jan 20, 2011
I'd say with Bournemouth's catchment area and population, they could be as big as a club like Huddersfield. If someone built a 22,000 stadium on the outskirts of town. But I'm afraid a modest 12,000 all-seater simply screams "small time" to potential players, investors and local businesses alike.

We all know we 'could' be a reasonable sized club, with our conurbation etc. etc. however, the club has been through a lot of tough times over the last 15 years and a lot of local people have continued to bail the club out, to their financial loss… I think there is great apathy towards AFCB, from large parts of the town, however, all of a sudden, getting into the Championship has seen a slight turnaround in attitude…

We have gone from averaging 5/6000 to now averaging 9500, with the last 2 gates been close to and just over 11000. It will take time for folk to return to DC and support a club that on the whole has treated some of its fans poorly… But it is slowly happening...

We don't own our ground (that's another story) and despite trying to buy it back last season, and failing due to refusing to pay an over-inflated price, look likely never to own Dean Court again… The only room for ground improvements lie with the temp 4 stand that was erected in the off-seaosn… Suggestions were put forward for a large 4/5000 stand, or a replica of our current home end, but it was decided to put up what we have, which is as good a temp stand as you'll get, and gauge attendances this season, with the view to building something permanent if there is a demand...

I don't think the club can expand anywhere else… so unless we build a giant Kop stand or a two-tier stand, we will always be crippled by our inability to reach out to new fans… bit like you guys at Withdean…

The other option is to stick the Vs up at our landlord and move… Which if we cement our place in the championship and continue to sell-out, might be our only option…

Regardless, it is exciting times at DC… We're doing ok, and will learn form every game at this higher level… Hopefully we'll see you guys next year and some of you will finally decide we are not 'tinpot' and that we don't have big days out… We just travel well…!!!!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We all know we 'could' be a reasonable sized club, with our conurbation etc. etc. however, the club has been through a lot of tough times over the last 15 years and a lot of local people have continued to bail the club out, to their financial loss… I think there is great apathy towards AFCB, from large parts of the town, however, all of a sudden, getting into the Championship has seen a slight turnaround in attitude…

We have gone from averaging 5/6000 to now averaging 9500, with the last 2 gates been close to and just over 11000. It will take time for folk to return to DC and support a club that on the whole has treated some of its fans poorly… But it is slowly happening...

We don't own our ground (that's another story) and despite trying to buy it back last season, and failing due to refusing to pay an over-inflated price, look likely never to own Dean Court again… The only room for ground improvements lie with the temp 4 stand that was erected in the off-seaosn… Suggestions were put forward for a large 4/5000 stand, or a replica of our current home end, but it was decided to put up what we have, which is as good a temp stand as you'll get, and gauge attendances this season, with the view to building something permanent if there is a demand...

I don't think the club can expand anywhere else… so unless we build a giant Kop stand or a two-tier stand, we will always be crippled by our inability to reach out to new fans… bit like you guys at Withdean…

The other option is to stick the Vs up at our landlord and move… Which if we cement our place in the championship and continue to sell-out, might be our only option…

Regardless, it is exciting times at DC… We're doing ok, and will learn form every game at this higher level… Hopefully we'll see you guys next year and some of you will finally decide we are not 'tinpot' and that we don't have big days out… We just travel well…!!!!

Its a deal.

Just leave HOOPS at home next year, eh?

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Got to admit they have me the right hump with their unsporting play yeasterday their 12 year old manager with the slappable smug face had obviously come for a draw and to stop us playing any kind of football. Their players aalso argued the toss for the moat obvious fouls aswell. Complete wankers

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Got to admit they have me the right hump with their unsporting play yeasterday their 12 year old manager with the slappable smug face had obviously come for a draw and to stop us playing any kind of football. Their players aalso argued the toss for the moat obvious fouls aswell. Complete wankers

Must have the wrong match mate - unsporting play? timewasted a bit, which us AFCB fans aren't happy about either, as it only gets the oppo crowd going, and then the team too in most cases. Defended a bit deep second half, but we definitely didn't try and park the bus.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard

The old home crowds question is the million dollar one for our club, always has been. Our home crowds have been chronic for years, considering a similar 'urban area' catchment to yourselves (around 470/480k). Its generally more of a transient population than most areas, so folk come with their own allegiances which are hard to shift..apart from that it's hard to pin down! Well the last two gates have been over 10k, so there's a bit of progress!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
A message to all the AFCB fans on this thread.

Most of us (I reckon 95%) consider you a proper football club and not much different to ourselves. Do not confuse the views of some nutters on here (I'm sure you have them too!) with the views of the silent majority.

I thought you were decent yesterday but as mentioned could have lost 6-1.... that's football.

This. Very much hate it when people through the term tinpot about.

I can think of only two tinpot clubs. One is in Manchester and the other in South London.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
How can anyone honestly compare Bournemouth to Palarse ? That's what I call TINPOT.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Found it a bit surprising how cynical they were in the two games so far. Howe never struck me as the type to encourage gamesmanship, but in both home and away matches, his players have seemed to piss about, taking minutes over every throw-in & goal kick, right from the off. They even did it while the games were goalless, which is bizarre, and I can't believe it does them any favours.

He seems to be a good tactician every time we've encountered his sides, but my God it's annoying to watch. Thought their midfield was half decent, but Ritchie was way below par, given what we'd been led to expect from his recent form. Grabban offered very little up front, & I think it's obvious their defence is what prevents them from aiming much higher in this division than their current level. The centre halves looked pretty immobile & the full back (Francis?) was fortunate to escape at least a booking for repeatedly dragging down LuaLua.

Penalty was obviously an embarrassment, but that said, there was a decent part of the 2nd half where we had possession but failed to create an awful lot with it. Bournemouth only created chances towards the end by (inevitably) going for it on the break. So we can't really complain. Could have scored six: it's our own fault that we didn't.

PS: I hate pre-match huddles. I long for the day when a referee decides it's an obvious piss-take and allows the other side to take the kick off and score while the huddlees are still holding hands and shouting "COME ON THEN!" in each other's ears.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Found it a bit surprising how cynical they were in the two games so far. Howe never struck me as the type to encourage gamesmanship

I'm genuinely surprised that you're surprised. Nasty manager who sets his teams up to play nasty football, but gets away with it because he 'looks nice'.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm genuinely surprised that you're surprised. Nasty manager who sets his teams up to play nasty football, but gets away with it because he 'looks nice'.

This is true. He wasn't a nasty player back in his day though, was he?

Just seems odd. They seem to have a reputation for decent football, which is rather at odds with the gamesmanship they've displayed in both games.

Shame that Fraser lad didn't get much of a game. I was most amused by his constant diving at whatever they call Dean Court this week. I was hoping for another exhibition of textbook floor-kissing & bleating to Hoops.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here