Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Stupid Are The City Council? Warning, Mention of Gollywogs.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Absolutely, and the sooner the better eh?

Those elderly chaps and ladies who served in the second world war fighting against the tyranny of nazisim............they are the worst aren't they?

This country will be so much better when it is the exclusive domain of liberal free thinkers like you as oppose to the current predicament that we still people alive who contributed to this country's history in a way you could not even dream of...........you are living proof that their generation's sacrifice was worth it.

I am referring to Gollywogs. Whatever are you on about? When did a Gollywog get up and fight Nazis to enable me to have liberal thoughts.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I've done some diversity training and while I think it's good to be aware that everyone is different and that we all make inaccurate assumptions about others sometimes, some of this type of training can itself become possibly unwittingly divisive.

E.g. A clas I was in where the lecturer assumed a black student must be "angry about slavery" and be "oppressed by the inherently racist majority white culture" because of her apparent ethnic group - both colossal racist assumptions and very annoying to the student. The same lecturer told me "you hate women because you are a man in a male dominated society".

Then there is the assumption that Diversity training is the answer to reducing the inequities between different groups. Actually by focussing on difference it can lead to assuming everything is all right when it's not. The Equal Pay Act for instance has still not got very close to bridging the pay gap between men and women for work of equal value.
Dead right there Seagull...why have some wet blanket trying to put their ideas into your head....commonsense should tell everyone that there is good and bad amongst all people and not to generalise, because you are one colour, people of another colour are not all evil.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I've got two golliwogs from a bygone era. They've been sitting in a box in the loft for many years now and never caused any harm. Amazingly, they've not destroyed each other (and they're not from the same postcode).

That BoF is called Utopia...that's called living in harmony...peace be with you and in your attic.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I seem to remember that, in Noddy books, the bit of the town or whatever where the golliwogs lived was a nasty evil place and not somewhere you would dare to venture by yourself. So I think there is some understandable sensitivity through association with that.

I would avoid the word, personally, but would acknowledge that most people who might say it would intend no offence. Wasn't it the word that Carole Thatcher was sacked from the BBC for using, or rather was sacked for refusing to apologise after having used it, which is different, and the lady in this case did apologise to anyone who might have been offended.

Blyton's Golliwogs were often rude, mischievous, elfin villains. In Blyton's book, "Here Comes Noddy Again", a Golliwog asks the hero for help, then steals his car. Blyton, one of the most prolific European writers, included the Golliwogs in many stories, but she only wrote three books primarily about Golliwogs: The Three Golliwogs (1944), The Proud Golliwog (1951), and The Golliwog Grumbled (1953). Her depictions of Golliwogs are, by contemporary standards, racially insensitive. An excerpt from The Three Golliwogs is illustrative:

Once the three bold Golliwogs, Golly, Woggie, and ******, decided to go for a walk to Bumble-Bee Common. Golly wasn't quite ready so Woggie and ****** said they would start off without him, and Golly would catch them up as soon as he could. So off went Woggie and ******, arm-in-arm, singing merrily their favourite song - which, as you may guess, was Ten Little ****** Boys.
Ten Little Niggers

Ten Little Niggers is the name of a children's poem, sometimes set to music, which celebrates the deaths of ten Black children, one-by-one. The Three Golliwogs was reprinted as recently as 1968, and it still contained the above passage. Ten Little Niggers was also the name of a 1939 Agatha Christie novel, whose cover showed a Golliwog lynched, hanging from a noose.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
My Dad's like that, although he also has the in built racism as well.. he moved to Australia to escape the 'Muslims flooding into England'.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2013/07/01/anti-islam-group-seeks-expand

He may have to move again if the ADL are to be belived :)

- - - Updated - - -

If you don't understand why goliwogs are considered racist you really are a bit stupid. It's very easy to say its political corectness gone mad when you're white...

Perhaps someone who doesn't understand could be sent on a course to learn about it.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
(i) Absolutely true.
(ii) Yes. Jack Dromey is.

At the nursery where I work, I found published sheet music for 'Baa baa matte sheep.' Couldn't believe my eyes at first. And of course, we've never sung the 'matte' version!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I was on the phone to our Indian offices trying to get some passwords reset and this bloke was being a complete jobs worth...which sometimes happens, and I was getting more exasperated with him by the minute and I made the ultimate faux pas.... I said...." Come on mate, play the white man".

To be honest, he didn't react at all, and we continued to spar with eachother when finally the bugger did what I asked and sorted out what needed to be done.

Funnily enough, the only person who was remotely offended by my comment was one of my colleagues who overheard what I said and was offended for the bloke on the other end of the phone, who hadn't commented at all.

I have the whole collection of gollywogs ( or golly dolls according to south east today) the robinson's jam band enamel badges somewhere in the loft. It took me years to get the clarinet player

To be fair, this doesn't mean that he wasn't offended.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
In my job we have to do diversity training, as well as Lesbian, Gay, and Transgender and unconscious bias training. I am so unbiased I lay horizontal most of the time.

wtf is unconscious bias training. Do you discriminate against coma victims?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
That BoF is called Utopia...that's called living in harmony...peace be with you and in your attic.

Only if they are living in harmony with a teddy bear, rag doll, cabbage patch doll and Cindy. Hopefuly the gollywogs aren't slaves to Cindy and the teddy bear aand nor is Cindy the gollywogs crack whore turning tricks for a rock.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Wing Commander Guy Gibson,VC,DFC, had a dog called '******'...in the original film that is what he is called...saw the amended version and it was never mentioned.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Wing Commander Guy Gibson,VC,DFC, had a dog called '******'...in the original film that is what he is called...saw the amended version and it was never mentioned.

Then it is inaccurately rewritng history and is that not more sinister than calling the dog by it's original name ?

- - - Updated - - -

Now we are entering the winter season with a good chance of snow of course which we all know is white,should i build a Snowman or should that be person shall i be deemed as racist ?

User Removed

Oct 21, 2005
Brighton
She is not offended in the slightest. It's always the silly fools who get offended for everybody else.

We had a good friend in Luton who was from Cameroon. One afternoon we had a good chat about offending people, political correctness, extremists.
Our friend was just amazed at how politically correct the UK had become and said it was pathetic.

Those crazy afternoon days in Luton, super stuff.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Then it is inaccurately rewritng history and is that not more sinister than calling the dog by it's original name ?

- - - Updated - - -

Now we are entering the winter season with a good chance of snow of course which we all know is white,should i build a Snowman or should that be person shall i be deemed as racist ?
Couldn't agree more...when is BLACKpool having a name change to Equalpool.....world's gone mad...

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Absolutely, and the sooner the better eh?

Those elderly chaps and ladies who served in the second world war fighting against the tyranny of nazisim............they are the worst aren't they?

This country will be so much better when it is the exclusive domain of liberal free thinkers like you as oppose to the current predicament that we still people alive who contributed to this country's history in a way you could not even dream of...........you are living proof that their generation's sacrifice was worth it.
post of the year.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Could you decipher it for me?
I dont need to, it was in plain English and you understand full well what he meant' you're just trying and failing miserably to backtrack, claiming you were referring to gollywogs as opposed to the older generation and using a display of faux ignorance because his post superbly highlights what a spiteful ,ignorant bellend your original post shows you to be.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I dont need to, it was in plain English and you understand full well what he meant' you're just trying and failing miserably to backtrack, claiming you were referring to gollywogs as opposed to the older generation and using a display of faux ignorance because his post superbly highlights what a spiteful ,ignorant bellend your original post shows you to be.

Look I am struggling to understand this anger. At no point have I meant to discriminate against the older generation of gollywogs. I see young and old in equal light and respect their views. I apologise if I have upset any of them.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Nice to see Bushy sticking up for the everyman (by everyman I mean of course only if he is white, anglo-saxon and earning) from the tough urban warzone that is Haywards Heath. The only place in the Home Counties they still rub black people for luck.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here