Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Stupid Are The City Council? Warning, Mention of Gollywogs.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
This country has gone mad , enough said ! It was not said in a bad way , waste of money and what the hell is this course she has to go on ? some young liberal upstarts trying to teach a sensible mature woman a lesson ?? God help us !

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
If you don't understand why goliwogs are considered racist you really are a bit stupid. It's very easy to say its political corectness gone mad when you're white...

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
I like the irony. He will have many kindred spirits out there.

Harsh but :lolol:

In Queensland to watch us get humped in the Ashes in 2006 (not much changes...), I went to get my hair cut and the barber, after an initial bit of cricket-related small talk, suddenly piped up, "I'll tell you what we can do to get rid of all those Muslims."

I was a little surprised, as I was only used to hearing that in taxis back home, so I didn't say anything straight away, and he went on to explain his grand plan. He seemed to take exception to "Muslimic" food being labelled Halal (I hardly need add that he didn't seem to have the clearest idea of what "Halal" actually means) and that they should pass a law for all food to be labelled "Christian" - thus, in his mind, forcing all Muslims to change their religion, emigrate or starve.

Not even Pauline Hanson could have come up with that one.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I was on the phone to our Indian offices trying to get some passwords reset and this bloke was being a complete jobs worth...which sometimes happens, and I was getting more exasperated with him by the minute and I made the ultimate faux pas.... I said...." Come on mate, play the white man".

To be honest, he didn't react at all, and we continued to spar with eachother when finally the bugger did what I asked and sorted out what needed to be done.

Funnily enough, the only person who was remotely offended by my comment was one of my colleagues who overheard what I said and was offended for the bloke on the other end of the phone, who hadn't commented at all.

I have the whole collection of gollywogs ( or golly dolls according to south east today) the robinson's jam band enamel badges somewhere in the loft. It took me years to get the clarinet player

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
I've done some diversity training and while I think it's good to be aware that everyone is different and that we all make inaccurate assumptions about others sometimes, some of this type of training can itself become possibly unwittingly divisive.

E.g. A clas I was in where the lecturer assumed a black student must be "angry about slavery" and be "oppressed by the inherently racist majority white culture" because of her apparent ethnic group - both colossal racist assumptions and very annoying to the student. The same lecturer told me "you hate women because you are a man in a male dominated society".

Then there is the assumption that Diversity training is the answer to reducing the inequities between different groups. Actually by focussing on difference it can lead to assuming everything is all right when it's not. The Equal Pay Act for instance has still not got very close to bridging the pay gap between men and women for work of equal value.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Gollywogs were a silly little collectible. No offence was intended and I suspect none was taken. However, losing them is not a high price to pay of the way to multi-racial multi-cultural society that understands itself

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
There's a whole discussion waiting to be had about the concept of "Communities of Interest and Identity".

I'm not going to start it.

You have. Is the potential discussion to be based on a pre modernist, a modernist or a post modernist approach?

Will, furthermore, the gollywog lovers and collectors also tell us how many Teddy Bears they have, collect and love?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've done some diversity training and while I think it's good to be aware that everyone is different and that we all make inaccurate assumptions about others sometimes, some of this type of training can itself become possibly unwittingly divisive.

E.g. A clas I was in where the lecturer assumed a black student must be "angry about slavery" and be "oppressed by the inherently racist majority white culture" because of her apparent ethnic group - both colossal racist assumptions and very annoying to the student. The same lecturer told me "you hate women because you are a man in a male dominated society".

Then there is the assumption that Diversity training is the answer to reducing the inequities between different groups. Actually by focussing on difference it can lead to assuming everything is all right when it's not. The Equal Pay Act for instance has still not got very close to bridging the pay gap between men and women for work of equal value.

Sounds like a Little Britain sketch only a bit more far fetched.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
You have. Is the potential discussion to be based on a pre modernist, a modernist or a post modernist approach?

Will, furthermore, the gollywog lovers and collectors also tell us how many Teddy Bears they have, collect and love?

I had a teddy bear!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I've got two golliwogs from a bygone era. They've been sitting in a box in the loft for many years now and never caused any harm. Amazingly, they've not destroyed each other (and they're not from the same postcode).

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
When I was a kid a lot of black dogs were called n*gg*r. My grandmother's dog was. Times change.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I know someone who once went on a family holiday with Jack Dromey and Hattie Harman. They insisted on referring to the hot drink they had for breakfast as "coffee without milk". Even in the privacy of their own kitchen.

Urban Myth surely.
No one is that PC.

DavePage

Harsh but :lolol:

In Queensland to watch us get humped in the Ashes in 2006 (not much changes...), I went to get my hair cut and the barber, after an initial bit of cricket-related small talk, suddenly piped up, "I'll tell you what we can do to get rid of all those Muslims."

I was a little surprised, as I was only used to hearing that in taxis back home, so I didn't say anything straight away, and he went on to explain his grand plan. He seemed to take exception to "Muslimic" food being labelled Halal (I hardly need add that he didn't seem to have the clearest idea of what "Halal" actually means) and that they should pass a law for all food to be labelled "Christian" - thus, in his mind, forcing all Muslims to change their religion, emigrate or starve.

Not even Pauline Hanson could have come up with that one.

The answers there Barber out! Golly gosh, end of story

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Luckily they are dying out.

Absolutely, and the sooner the better eh?

Those elderly chaps and ladies who served in the second world war fighting against the tyranny of nazisim............they are the worst aren't they?

This country will be so much better when it is the exclusive domain of liberal free thinkers like you as oppose to the current predicament that we still people alive who contributed to this country's history in a way you could not even dream of...........you are living proof that their generation's sacrifice was worth it.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Diversity training!!!

Sounds very Orwellian

In my job we have to do diversity training, as well as Lesbian, Gay, and Transgender and unconscious bias training. I am so unbiased I lay horizontal most of the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here