Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How seriously are you taking social distancing?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My neighbours have got a little gathering going on today in their garden. They are a couple in their thirties with a little girl. The mum is 36 weeks pregnant. The dad's elderly parents are there. There's another young couple with a kid.

I'm no curtain twitcher but this is really pi$$ing me off. What do I do?

You could really upset Ppf and be a grass. Ring 101.

Seriously one of those young people could be a carrier, the pregnant Mum catches it, goes into labour whilst infected, which could then pass it onto the midwife etc etc.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I decided to visit Waitrose in Worthing today, but was put off by the long queue and strict social distancing measures. I decided to walk 100 yards or so to Lidl which pretty much was operating as normal, no set numbers at one time, quite cramped and no gloves for the staff etc.
I am probably a person who is a little bit fatalist, in that my view is if I get it I will self isolate and deal with it, but I have to admit Lidl seem to be dealing with the situation quite recklessly compared to most shops that are open.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
You could really upset Ppf and be a grass. Ring 101.

Seriously one of those young people could be a carrier, the pregnant Mum catches it, goes into labour whilst infected, which could then pass it onto the midwife etc etc.

Absolutely. Not far fetched either. Add to that the consideration that my wife is a midwife at our local hospital. An unforgivable lack of respect for what's going on at the moment!!

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I decided to visit Waitrose in Worthing today, but was put off by the long queue and strict social distancing measures. I decided to walk 100 yards or so to Lidl which pretty much was operating as normal, no set numbers at one time, quite cramped and no gloves for the staff etc.
I am probably a person who is a little bit fatalist, in that my view is if I get it I will self isolate and deal with it, but I have to admit Lidl seem to be dealing with the situation quite recklessly compared to most shops that are open.

But what about the up to two weeks prior to showing symptoms where you don't realise you have it and continue going to lidl or wherever and spread it around tens, then by proxy hundreds, of others?

That is the point of the measures being put in place. The fact you couldn't be bothered with them at waitrose shows you, unbelievably at this point, still have a lack of basic understanding about how this thing is spread. It is not just about you. You might pass it on to someone who then gets seriously ill without knowing you have it yourself, and then start to show symptoms.
Christ!! :ffsparr:

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
But what about the up to two weeks prior to showing symptoms where you don't realise you have it and continue going to lidl or wherever and spread it around tens, then by proxy hundreds, of others?

That is the point of the measures being put in place. The fact you couldn't be bothered with them at waitrose shows you, unbelievably at this point, still have a lack of basic understanding about how this thing is spread. It is not just about you. You might pass it on to someone who then gets seriously ill without knowing you have it yourself, and then start to show symptoms.

This.

Its not about you its about how you might affect i.e. infect others. Social distancing is to protect us fromm spreading infection to others especially those more vunerable. Young people might think its a mild virus not a problem for them (altough even thats not entirely true) but they interact with others who in turn interact with more vunerable people. I have just seen a rotary colleague die in hospital from this so please take the distancing seriously. PLEASE!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

It’s staggering that there are people that still don’t either understand, or care about potentially spreading it to and killing others.

Yoda

English & European
Absolutely. And if what he says is true about Lidl, that's a disgrace

I'm not so sure it is. I went there just over a week ago, as Waitrose had closed earlier than what they were saying, and there were notices up outside saying they were limiting numbers to enter as well as markings for the checkouts to keep people spaced apart whilst queuing. I can't remember if the cashier was wearing gloves, but as has already been pointed out, wearing gloves is more dangerous than not an washing your hands regularly. They did have a perspex shield in front of them though.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Genuine question: is this ok, or not?

Our boys are 10 and almost 7. (They're with my wife back in the UK, I'm stuck in Dubai because of work). Though they have a back garden, it's pretty small and has a couple of trees and bushes in the middle – which make it virtually impossible to play any kind of ball game.

We live in a small village, and just 2 minutes walk away is a playground, that's a large area of grass and a few swings etc (obviously these are currently taped off). It's almost always empty, maybe the occasional dog walker crossing it, but that's about it.

Is it ok for my wife to take our boys there to kick a ball around for 30 minutes, or is that classed on a par with sunbathing, BBQs, picnics etc and therefore not allowed?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Genuine question: is this ok, or not?

Our boys are 10 and almost 7. (They're with my wife back in the UK, I'm stuck in Dubai because of work). Though they have a back garden, it's pretty small and has a couple of trees and bushes in the middle – which make it virtually impossible to play any kind of ball game.

We live in a small village, and just 2 minutes walk away is a playground, that's a large area of grass and a few swings etc (obviously these are currently taped off). It's almost always empty, maybe the occasional dog walker crossing it, but that's about it.

Is it ok for my wife to take our boys there to kick a ball around for 30 minutes, or is that classed on a par with sunbathing, BBQs, picnics etc and therefore not allowed?

Should be considered excerise. If you get seen maybe they will ask what you are doing but if the police got any kind of fingerspitzengefühl (do you have an English word for this?) it shouldnt be a problem and definitely not something you should be fined for.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Wow ! Unbelievable

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-engla...l2RDIBUpryZgLPiyNYR_1qlonOO2I2nn5goXOBh08EMLU

Greater Manchester Police has warned people not to breach lockdown rules over Easter after it had to break up 660 parties last weekend.

Chief Constable Ian Hopkins said "each and every one of us need take this seriously".

There were 1,132 coronavirus-related breaches reported between Saturday and Tuesday, the force said.

That included 494 house parties - some with DJs, fireworks and bouncy castles - and 166 street parties.

One woman in Bury became the first person in Greater Manchester to be charged under the Coronavirus Act 2020 after police had to repeatedly shut down one of the parties.

The force also had to deal with 122 different groups gathering to play sports, 173 more gatherings in parks and 112 incidents of anti-social behaviour and public disorder.

The region's deputy mayor for policing and crime, Beverley Hughes, said the number coronavirus-related incidents had risen considerably.

Officers responded to about 500 callouts a day last weekend, she said.

However, she said calls for enforcement for businesses not complying with the rules had fallen.

Mr Hopkins said: "We understand the desire people will have to spend time with family and friends over the Easter period, however it is vital that we follow the government guidelines.

"The single most important action we can take in fighting coronavirus is to stay at home in order to save lives."

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Blimey, I didn't think they would have even had the available manpower to break up 660 parties.
I wonder whether this was a Manchester thing or have there been similar reports from other large urban areas.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
streets busier today when went for run. Seem more cars also. Hearing reports shops very busy today . Unsure if all related.

Should be interesting this weekend . Will be loads doing their own form of lockdown I'm sure

D

Deleted member 22389

Think I'm living around a bunch of ****ing idiots at the moment. People behind us, friend has just come over and sitting in their back garden.

The next door neighbour has just got in the car with her friend.

The people opposite had friends over last night.

This isn't going to work if people don't follow the advice. If the numbers go up in 14 days time you know the reason why.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here