Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much was a pint when you could first drink?

1s 8d (just over 8p) for a pint of Ansell's bitter. Cider was 1s 4d a pint (just under 7p). The lowest price I ever paid for a pint of bitter, in decimal currency, was in Barnsley - 13p.

Happy days.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
1s 10d a pint for me as well. Seems a common price on here - but in those days inflation was non-existent and there was probably some form of Retail Price Maintenance.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
48p. Hook Norton Old Hooky, Warwick Uni 1981.

Six pints in an hour qualified you for the Goat Hurlers intra-mural footie team. Despite the aleing we once won a game 26-0.

PG

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
1s 8d (just over 8p) for a pint of Ansell's bitter. Cider was 1s 4d a pint (just under 7p). The lowest price I ever paid for a pint of bitter, in decimal currency, was in Barnsley - 13p.

Happy days.

How many grouts in a d LB? LOL

Hope your well

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
And I just remembered the Kings Head Shoreham, cider in the barrel on the bar 10d a pint (about 4p for you youngsters) occasionally Saturday nights we would have a whip round, buy a barrel and we'd depart to Cuckoos Corner for a party with people like Leo Sayer and a few others who were equally as good playing guitar and singing. Absolute disgrace that pub was demolished, should have been left as the focal point of the development.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I seem to remember in Tunbridge Wells (The Clarence) Stella being about 70p a pint but may be wrong but I remember it going up to £1.They put a tea towel over the pump on Fridays and Saturdays because of the fighting.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Off the top of my head it was about .... a shilling, but a brown and mild was a penny or so dearer.... Feck me, I must be as old as I feel. But reckon I could still take a better penalty than Puncheon :)
Think we all could take a penalty better than Puncheon FOS....beer was 10 old pennies...Brown and Mild 1 shilling,Whiskey was about 1 shilling and 9d...later went up to two whole shillings (10p)....disgusting amount of money...

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
About 30p in the late 70s. It was probably a pint if Tamplins as it was only that and Stag that the local in Burgess Hill sold. I seem to recall thinking Pompey Royal was a decent pint until I discovered Harveys!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here