Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much was a pint when you could first drink?

jonsey

Aug 5, 2011
North Sussex
not sure as was not old enough to buy a pint at that stage................King and Barnes did sell a lager that was 50p during the promotion, god it was rough.................

Could get a ticket at the tunnel end of Wembley, the train up and a few cans plus a burger for less than £20.......oh the good OLD days

Just had brainwave.......JK Lager....................still just as rough even with a name

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
One shilling and ten pence(9p) for me too Ind Coope Drum Mild, Liverpool Arms Haywards Heath

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
17p for mild and 18p for Red Barrel. Rose and Crown Worthing when I was 14/15.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This is one of the rare occasions where a question allows me to draw on the vast store of useless facts and social trivia that clutter up what was once a beautiful mind ...

1973 a pint of bitter shandy after Sunday league for 14p at the Sackville (Hove Park Tavern)
1974 The Western 16p was first proper pint (sorry, The Paris House)
1978 it was 28p for a pint of Sam Smiths in the Student Union bar (32p for Ruddles if you were a middle-class rugger ****)

Thank you for this opportunity to share.

x

Same for me, In the early 80's I remember going on a pub darts team outing to France, on the ferry at the bar it was 45p a pint plus you could buy 20 fags for the same. I remember with extreme joy passing my pound note over and getting 20 Rothmans and a pint and 10p change !

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
9d for a pint of mild in a pub in Plumstead back in 1974 (I think) Me and my mate had to club together the loose change in our pockets to afford buy it and share. Blimey.

9d would have been pre 1960 I would think that meant 9p in 1974 possibly as we charged 10p for a pint of best in our pub on decimalisation day as 1 remember having a ruck with my area manager as the conversion was made to 10p the equivalent of a price rise from1s 8d to 2s

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
One shilling and ten pence(9p).

This. And then they brought in Carlsberg on draught at 2/6d and people said that lager would never catch on at that price.

albionite

May 20, 2009
£1.60, was outraged when the beer tax went up by 5p and all the pubs put 10p onto the price. If only a decent pint cost that now :drink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here