Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much is American Express paying for shirt sponsorship?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Average Amex spend per transaction is DOUBLE that of Visa & MasterCard.
All the restaurants in Plymouth years ago made a call to all withdraw from accepting Amex. They kept all the punters spending £30 BUT lost many of the £60 punters. It took them 3 months to work out the maths that £55 net was better than £29 net and they ALL started taking Amex again...

Wait - so you're saying that these people stopped eating out altogether, because they couldn't use their Amex? Or that they went to a different town to eat out, specifically so they could use their Amex? Doesn't sound quite right to me.

geniarse

Jan 2, 2012
As you can see I don't post much as I do get very irritated with the level of whining on this site, and this is a classic example that I feel compelled to reply on.

Who cares where the card is accepted or what % the retailer is being stiffed for!?!

Fact - American Express is one of THE most valuable brand images in the world. It's revenues last year were nearly $40bn. I grant you the average Joe in Britain has no conception of what Amex is but in the US 25% of ALL credit card transactions are American Express.

What I'm getting at is we should be grateful for this kind of branding. Yes, we'll get a fair few quid and if we ever get to the promised land of the Premiership and get beamed around the world playing Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea etc I would rather our kit have Amex on it than a single Italian restaurant that nobody outside of Sussex has heard of.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
As you can see I don't post much as I do get very irritated with the level of whining on this site, and this is a classic example that I feel compelled to reply on.

Who cares where the card is accepted or what % the retailer is being stiffed for!?!

Fact - American Express is one of THE most valuable brand images in the world. It's revenues last year were nearly $40bn. I grant you the average Joe in Britain has no conception of what Amex is but in the US 25% of ALL credit card transactions are American Express.

What I'm getting at is we should be grateful for this kind of branding. Yes, we'll get a fair few quid and if we ever get to the promised land of the Premiership and get beamed around the world playing Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea etc I would rather our kit have Amex on it than a single Italian restaurant that nobody outside of Sussex has heard of.

Absolutely.

Also, no one can answer the original question about how much the deal is worth until, possibly, the accounts are out in over 2 years time.

On thing is for sure, and that's that it will make a big difference to the 8 million pound indicated loss.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
To get back to the question of the thread title.

£1.75million per annum, for the next four years, with an option to continue for another two years.

Amount increases if we are in the premiership.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011

£1.75million per annum, for the next four years, with an option to continue for another two years.

How does that compare with top championship clubs any idea?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I would guess my Amex is accepted in about 80% of the places I try to use it, accounting for over 90% of my spending.

My card issuer gives me a paired Visa card for when the Amex is not accepted.

I use a Virgin Atlantic Amex and I earn enough miles for either free flights or significant discounts on cash fares.

Okay dokay. It seems it has changed from when I had one , which as previously mentioned was 10 years back. The flights thing is particularly attractive as Virgin is the prefered carrier for Tubthumpers.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
Love my Amex card and proud that they want to sponsor our ground and shirts. Huge brand, no one else in the Championship would come near.

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
As a multinational company, you can surely see the benefit of employing multilingual employees? Just so happens that most young Europeans have made the effort to learn English in addition to their first language. I'm sure they'd employ a multilingual English person as much as a foreigner.

Of course I can see the benefit, just not to people from Brighton who have had to learn foreign languages through 2nd rate education at school

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Of course I can see the benefit, just not to people from Brighton who have had to learn foreign languages through 2nd rate education at school

I have had people work for me who struggle with the native tounge!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
That's as maybe, but I have only ever lost 1 sale in 7 years through not taking Amex, and that was from an American tourist who only bought his Amex card with him on holiday and was regretting it as quite of lot of places he went to did not accept it. Everyone else just pulls out their VISA card and we carry on. We struggle by as a merchant anyway, so why should we pay double the charge to Amex for doing exactly the same thing as VISA/Mastercard? It is not as if it costs them twice as much to process the transaction.

No sticker in the window & they walk on & you'll never know about it...

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Wait - so you're saying that these people stopped eating out altogether, because they couldn't use their Amex? Or that they went to a different town to eat out, specifically so they could use their Amex? Doesn't sound quite right to me.

Always other venues ie hotels for the medical salesmen taking out 8 doctors with £100 a head budget on his Amex corporate to fill up, so his co's pills are pushed

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

That is a lot, good news must be treble? the current one?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here