Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much is American Express paying for shirt sponsorship?

luge

Dec 18, 2010
That's my point.

From a brand recognition point of view, I'd suggest this is a better deal for the Albion than for American Express.

Whether that's the most important point is another issue.

Not sure that it's the case:

1) Around 5-10 Albion matches are broadcast worldwide each season. If we went up to the PL, then it's a massive deal.

2) Sponsorship is a great way to avoid paying tax - even if it is a multi-million pound deal this is a drop in the ocean from AMEX

3) The UK of the albion presence is relatively high if we do (as we have been so far) well in the championship.

4) Amex can write as many puff pieces about engaging in the local community as they like - looks very good indee, especially with Brighton's back story about not having a home etc.

Obviously not as glamorous as a PL team, but then the cost won't be either. And I suspect Barber would have written in clauses for promotion.

albionite

May 20, 2009
The Albion in the community is probably good advert for American Express, shows a big corporate company putting something back into the community.... The money part is all small change

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Not sure that it's the case:

1) Around 5-10 Albion matches are broadcast worldwide each season. If we went up to the PL, then it's a massive deal.

2) Sponsorship is a great way to avoid paying tax - even if it is a multi-million pound deal this is a drop in the ocean from AMEX

3) The UK of the albion presence is relatively high if we do (as we have been so far) well in the championship.

4) Amex can write as many puff pieces about engaging in the local community as they like - looks very good indee, especially with Brighton's back story about not having a home etc.

Obviously not as glamorous as a PL team, but then the cost won't be either. And I suspect Barber would have written in clauses for promotion.

Albion have nothing like the worldwide (or even UK) brand recognition of American Express. Amex don't need this sponsorship deal for any sense of advertising.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
Albion have nothing like the worldwide (or even UK) brand recognition of American Express. Amex don't need this sponsorship deal for any sense of advertising.

It's still a good way of reducing their tax bill. And the helping the local community story ticks shed loads of boxes. I do take your point about brand - and agree, although any increase of brand recognition is a good one - no matter how big the brand.

Also if Albion end up on live TV, then it's a cost effective way of getting advertising, rather than paying for the (albeit probably quite lowly priced) advertising slots.

But yes, Amex are huge. We are not.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It's still a good way of reducing their tax bill. And the helping the local community story ticks shed loads of boxes. I do take your point about brand - and agree, although any increase of brand recognition is a good one - no matter how big the brand.

Also if Albion end up on live TV, then it's a cost effective way of getting advertising, rather than paying for the (albeit probably quite lowly priced) advertising slots.

I detect some cynicism about Amex's contribution to AITC.

Sure, it makes them look good, and I don't suppose that that's not that far down their list of desirable qualities, but though I'm not directly involved in any of this, but I do know several people who are, and my understanding is that they take their role in AITC very seriously.

Sure, it makes them look good, and I don't suppose that that's not that far down their list of desirable qualities, but though I'm not directly involved in any of this, but I do know several people who are, and my understanding is that they take their role in AITC very seriously.
... to the point of getting their man in to run it.

New boss takes helm at Albion charity arm From The Argus)

Last edited:

luge

Dec 18, 2010

Not at all - They've taken it very seriously - and should be applauded. I'm saying that for a blue chip brand, this sort of connection is the stuff of dreams really: They are the largest employer in the area and they are exercising social responsibility - putting back into the community.

Basically it's a part-philanthropy/part bona-fide marketing deal. They get some exposure from us being in the championship (mainly local, to a lesser extent (although still national newspaper/tv show) National, and to a reasonable extent worldwide (depending on cup draws + WW championship broadcast). If we ever made it to the PL, then it is a big deal for them.

And if people do notice/care enough to question why are Amex sponsoring a championship club, there's a whole backstory to tell about their input into helping the club progress and their work with AITC etc. Not that many people give a shit, but some do.

But yes, Amex involvement with AITC is genuine. It's a very strong partnership all round and Bloom/Barber etc (+ AMEX) should be commended for realising the opportunity.

Until we get relegated to league two and everything goes shit :facepalm::cool:

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
what is the point in adverts then? everybody knows what coca-cola is, why on earth do they advertise it on telly? :dunce:

To remind you to buy it. To keep it in the public eye. When something stops appearing on the telly, the public conscious forgets about it and half thinks it doesn't exist any more and/or that some other product is better or more reliable, or more cool.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Why, oh why, does anyone have an Amex card? Is purely some sort of status thing, or do some people gain some benefit from them?
I used to work for them and its more the club benefits that it brings. Visa and master are just a way to pay, but Amex is a way of life. Diners club is a cut above Amex and so it goes on.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011

A few hundred thousand pound paid in sponsorship/donations to AITC, is not going to make a scratch on their multi billion dollar business, and its tax bill in the US?

Yes, they do it to help their local image and advertising, as well as corporate responsibility.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I have a platinum American Express card and it's great. Good service and a nice rebate every month.

Terrible for merchants.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As a punter what does an AMEX card give me over other debit/charge/credit cards? All I know about AMEX cards is that they cannot be used in that many places, so what is it that makes people have them?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here