Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] How much are you missing football?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Missing the Matchday Experience of beers and catch-up with mates. The football always did come a poor second TBH

This. The social side of it is just as important as the game itself. I miss my friends.

Considering we haven’t won a game this year not that much tbh. My last visit to the Amex I actually found quite depressing half hearted attempt at an atmosphere I can almost predict how every game is going to play out. Strange times before even stranger times.

It's hard to keep an atmosphere going when the team is struggling.

This.

Since August 2017 the ‘new normal’ for an Albion fan is our team rarely winning games of football, heartbreak as a pacey game-changer in the opposition gives the spoils to them, played out in an often muted atmosphere.

For one, I’m finding this period far more relaxing.

Yes, the nerves have had a rest from looking at relegation possibilities.

thos thread is a great indicator of why our atmosphere is sh1t. No one gives a crap enough

The atmosphere is great when we're winning, but we haven't done much of that lately. Fans respond to the team.

I miss going with my son, having a beer and a laugh. Don't miss the actual football, we were becoming less enthusiastic with the premier league anyway. Never thought I'd say that having dragged my son to Withdean in the rain for years!

This is the problem. When we were at Withdean, we had something to fight for, and we did it together, whether demonstrating, writing letters etc, and supporting the team through several promotions.
Now we have arrived it is a struggle and as pointed out, the media only care about the top 6 clubs. We're also rans.
I love our club, and want Tony to be able to keep it going financially, but don't like the PL.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Bit unfair. There are more important things than football, especially at the moment.

everything doesnt cease just because there is some shocking things happening.

I can miss football and have it high on MY list whilst still being fiully immersed in covid. Its not an either or for everyone.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I wonder if this has been like being in drug/drink re-hab ?

We've probably done more useful things around the house. Have realised how much we had before but didn 't appreciate. Escaped the highs experienced ( when we score) and then the devastating lows ( as we concede goals ) and we should feel generally less stressed.

Soon we will be getting out of re-hab. How will we cope....? Will we go straight to our local pub/drug dealer and finish up where we left off. Or will we become nauseating DIY'ers who do the gardening and clean the house like good persons ?

Exciting times ahead !

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
If football were still being played and I couldn't go, I'd miss it terribly. In the current circumstances I'm not missing it at all. Family, friends, health etc all more important.
I was due to take the biggest holiday of my life next weekend, but again, nobody is taking holidays. So I'm not bothered by losing our holiday either.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
everything doesnt cease just because there is some shocking things happening.

I can miss football and have it high on MY list whilst still being fiully immersed in covid. Its not an either or for everyone.

Of course. It also has no bearing on atmosphere in pre Covid times. I am just saying that Covid has reset a lot of people’s priorities and that has nothing to do with whether or not they made a noise in the past.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I have to be honest, I'm missing it terribly. As some have said the social side but also I miss having those 90 minutes when I can worry about something else. Life is pretty tricky at the moment (non-Covid related) and I need that outlet when I can get the stress out of my system. I have said it before but there is nothing in life that beats shouting and screaming and celebrating at a football match. Which is why behind closed doors football is a terrible idea.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
If football were still being played and I couldn't go, I'd miss it terribly. In the current circumstances I'm not missing it at all. Family, friends, health etc all more important.
I was due to take the biggest holiday of my life next weekend, but again, nobody is taking holidays. So I'm not bothered by losing our holiday either.

Yes, we had been looking forward to going to Portugal in July with both sets of children and grandchildren. The first time we would all have been away together and everyone had been looking forward to it. It won’t happen this year and before long some of the grandchildren will be too old to be interested in such a family affair. I more upset about this than the football.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
I have to be honest, I'm missing it terribly. As some have said the social side but also I miss having those 90 minutes when I can worry about something else. Life is pretty tricky at the moment (non-Covid related) and I need that outlet when I can get the stress out of my system. I have said it before but there is nothing in life that beats shouting and screaming and celebrating at a football match. Which is why behind closed doors football is a terrible idea.

Yup,saved me typing this.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This. The social side of it is just as important as the game itself. I miss my friends.

The atmosphere is great when we're winning, but we haven't done much of that lately. Fans respond to the team.

This is the problem. When we were at Withdean, we had something to fight for, and we did it together, whether demonstrating, writing letters etc, and supporting the team through several promotions.
Now we have arrived it is a struggle and as pointed out, the media only care about the top 6 clubs. We're also rans.
I love our club, and want Tony to be able to keep it going financially, but don't like the PL.

Good post.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I'm really missing it. My SoccerManager Brighton and Hove Albion team thrashed Arsenal 4-0 at the Emirates last night. It's pathetic, I know, but that gave me such a thrill of excitement, but it's the closest I can get to football fun at the moment. Like HWT, I just really enjoy watching football. Any football (but mostly the Albion, obvs).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I miss not walking into work with the 'pride' of a big win and colleagues asking about the game.

So I haven't missed football since November.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I thought I'd miss it considerably, but actually very little indeed. I've not found myself thinking about it at all. For the first time in my life, I could see myself potentially drifting away from football if this hiatus carries on much longer.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I'm missing non league football more than watching the Albion.
I like watching football on a Saturday with a 3PM kick off, when the Albion are away, international breaks or have a kick off on another time, I like to watch local football, and drink.:cheers:

I definitely don't miss evening games and early kick off Albion matches, but I do miss the Saturday 3PM Albion games, and the social side of going to the pub early and staying at the Amex for a drink after the match.

I'm definitely not missing VAR and seeing us not win games.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Spot on TB.
The last line about the PL, I thought it was just me :smile: I never really took much notice of the PL before we got there, and I can't say I get that excited about it now, I wouldn't wish relegation on the club though.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Spot on TB.
The last line about the PL, I thought it was just me :smile: I never really took much notice of the PL before we got there, and I can't say I get that excited about it now, I wouldn't wish relegation on the club though.
If he had a Sheffield Utd season we would all be loving life in the PL unfortunately we are shite and I hate to say it a bit soft to easy to beat.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If he had a Sheffield Utd season we would all be loving life in the PL unfortunately we are shite and I hate to say it a bit soft to easy to beat.

Hmmm, no, not really. We're 15th out of 20 in a league which possessed the most extraordinary concentration of international talent there's ever been. The team that trudged out at Hereford those years ago, now they were shite, if sprited

May 4, 2020
I miss watching players like Neymar being photographed attending fashion shows holding a £7,000 bottle of champagne, wearing sun glasses indoors, forgetting to wear a shirt and socks with his white suit and yellow high heels whilst having a very intellectual, cultured, intelligent lady underneath both of his arms. I also miss reading how he isn't happy on 250k a week anymore.
Hope he's coping okay with the lock down. Thoughts are with you Neymar. Can't be easy for you right now. Miss you loads x

May 4, 2020
Hmmm, no, not really. We're 15th out of 20 in a league which possessed the most extraordinary concentration of international talent there's ever been. The team that trudged out at Hereford those years ago, now they were shite, if sprited

I'd say the lot next season were even worse. In fact much worse

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Watching us in a relegation battle 3 seasons in a row isn't really good to watch.

Sheff Utd, yes I agree, and nice to see Norwood doing well :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here