Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] How much are you missing football?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Considering we haven’t won a game this year not that much tbh. My last visit to the Amex I actually found quite depressing half hearted attempt at an atmosphere I can almost predict how every game is going to play out. Strange times before even stranger times.

This.

Since August 2017 the ‘new normal’ for an Albion fan is our team rarely winning games of football, heartbreak as a pacey game-changer in the opposition gives the spoils to them, played out in an often muted atmosphere.

For one, I’m finding this period far more relaxing.

Last edited:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I really wish I missed it more than I do, and apologies in advance for some slightly grim cynicism. I miss the social side of it but over the last few years, as my family commitments have increased, my interest in the football has slowly waned. I still very much enjoy it but also I'm really enjoying not having my weekend messed around with inconsistent kick off times.

I also have to admit that over the last two or three years, I've realised how much I don't like other football fans. I'm not missing the all pervading criticism of everybody and anything, the player witch hunts, the crowd whining at every misplaced pass, "Potter-out" etc. If anything, I really hope that this whole period and it's eventual conclusion and resumption will be a reset and fans (and all others concerned) remember that football is supposed to be fun, not just an excuse to batter our players every week.

For me too, I'm hoping that when football returns, the buzz does too because football is an amazing sport and the fans interactions have the potential to be fantastic. Sadly, the Premier League are so maniacally focused on resumption, whatever the cost, that when it does come back there is one guarantee: No fans will see it live - but that's not their priority is it?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Working from home only really iss the social.

Once back to work properly then it is normally a thing that you spend the week building up to so expect will change once working properly again

At the moment its just a holiday

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I'm not missing football while there isn't any.
I'd probably be missing it if it was on and I wasn't able to go.
Don't know if I'll miss it when it goes behind closed doors and I can't go.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We've got a superb Chinese takeaway just round the corner. It is shut. :ffsparr:

Our local Chinese takeaway shut very promptly as soon as lock-down started, no idea why, but found one not too far from us.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As others say, absolutely I miss football but actually everything that comes with it socially all the more.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Am I missing the opportunity to catch Covid 19, which attending a football match would help with? Nah, I think Bill Shankly got it wrong :shrug:

If the ground was opened up for a match with fans attending this weekend I’d give it a miss.

In short there are more important things than my football fix at present. My wife is vulnerable so I won’t be anywhere near the Amex until a vaccine is available.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Obviously the answer is yes, however I’m not missing the EPL. Unfortunately I’m going right off the elitist attitude of the media, and EPL fans in general, the love in of the top six by the media, the sense of entitlement by most fans in the EPL.

I love the Albion, and we could not ask for a better chairman and representatives surrounding the club, we have been and continue to be a community club, in this strange time, something to be proud of.
I can’t wait to be honest to get back to the Amex, with people I have so much in common, we have fought so hard for everything we have, and to be be where we are, the excitement of the first game and hopefully a new found passion will bring a roar from the crowd that we know we can make, oh to hear “You can tell them all that we stand or fall from Sussex by the sea” will mean so much and I will probably shed a tear again, as I do often do when it is sung with such feeling....

Now we seem to be being blamed by some lazy media types, twisting the truth can hear these words “ We won’t be drum”

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
To be honest if they play behind closed doors and have it on tv it will be more like a pre season friendly, especially if they decide “no relegation” to be applied this season. All a bit pointless.
I am only missing it a bit - there’s not much to look forward to on the tv other than repeats and reminders about iPlayer etc. It has been a reminder that the world doesn’t revolve round the premier league and its money. I suspect the senior echelons of football are crapping their pants at the prospect of their gravy train coming off the rails with no cranes to get it back up again.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
To be honest if they play behind closed doors and have it on tv it will be more like a pre season friendly, especially if they decide “no relegation” to be applied this season. All a bit pointless.
I am only missing it a bit - there’s not much to look forward to on the tv other than repeats and reminders about iPlayer etc. It has been a reminder that the world doesn’t revolve round the premier league and its money. I suspect the senior echelons of football are crapping their pants at the prospect of their gravy train coming off the rails with no cranes to get it back up again.

Considering some of the crap I've been watching. I think with the FULL sky hype behind any live game...... alongside numerous bets online...... could easy be the biggest fever pitch of the lockdown !

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I miss the Saturday morning group, but I couldn’t cope with reading it when I couldn’t play anymore :(

Are you likely to make a comeback when things get back to normal?

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
meh

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Not as much as I would have done many years ago when my 'Albion Fever' was at its height.
Football has got less important to me over the years.
At almost 72, I miss the general freedom in life to do what I want when I want and whilst I am still capable. That includes (for me) spending time with our lovely little grandson who seems, from our video calls, to have grown up so much over the last few weeks of lockdown. Miss him far more than footy, and yes, I know one can miss both.

gordycom

Mar 17, 2013
Brighton
I miss going with my son, having a beer and a laugh. Don't miss the actual football, we were becoming less enthusiastic with the premier league anyway. Never thought I'd say that having dragged my son to Withdean in the rain for years!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Strange to have so many people on a football forum claiming they don't miss football?

I'm still trying to find something to fill the void. I'm giving serious thought to attempting DIY things are that bad...

It's probably because the Albion is the main interest for some supporters, whilst for other people it's lower down the pecking order.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here