Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] How much are you missing football?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Missing the cricket more. Dryest and sunniest April on record and no cricket. Heart breaking. I do miss the football and all sport as well but not to the same extent as I'm not as immersed with them (usually!).

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Missing seeing my mates and pre-match pints etc. The football itself less so. Am missing/will really miss not having cricket to listen to on radio this summer. Gets me through many a working day

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Like others have said .

Football is not high on my list of things I miss or care about at the moment. Family and friends well being is top of list.
Yes of course would have loved to have seen Arsenal,Man U,City and Liverpool games.
But miss going out Pub/Club/cinema/restaurants with friends and family more.
Fingers crossed, next week we will see the the first steps back to a normal life !

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I've completely stopped watching football programmes on tele, and SSN - fuzzy interviews via Skype or whatever, and promises of 'Highlights of the 2003-4 PL season," or ManU vs. Liverpool in 1998 or some such 'attraction' just don't have any appeal. Not missing them much, tbh.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
There's other things I miss more, but defo miss football. It would have been worse if the team was on a massive win streak and challenging for a spot in Europe though... dont miss the angst and suffering from the games this calenader year that much...

I'm going to miss killing some lazy summer days with the Euro 2020s though.

NogansRun

Aug 8, 2016
As others have said. Missing the journey down chatting on the train, the cheeky pint in the Evening Star before heading up to Falmer. Standing in the sunshine, or even in the rain, with a pint of Harveys outside the ground, having a laugh with mates from other parts of the ground and watching the fans go by. Missing the pie and inevitable couple more pints on the West Upper concourse in the final hour before kick off. Then afterwards, catching up with those mates in the North Stand for the debrief and more laughs, and of course more beer. Not missing the football so much, football is the catalyst for all the other things on a match day, the glue of the shared experience that helps hold those friendships together, it doesn't really matter if we win or lose most of the time, what matters is that we are all there.

I am not missing the game itself nearly enough to make attractive the prospect of watching it on TV from an empty neutral stadium, that is not football to me. Therefore I have little or no interest in football until it can resume in the way that it matters for fans like myself. Those that like to watch in on TV may take a different view, but fans that go to games want to go to games.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’m not really missing it due to the troubled times we’re in. It’s like salivating on the thought of a big juicy burger when you’re sitting on the pan laying out a foot long U-Bend Super Otter, inappropriate.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Same here, it's made me wonder what I've been missing out on by going to everything single game home and away. I've certainly got more on top of things at home and in the garden as a result and as of yet I've not missed football that much at all.

However when it starts, I still myself being drawn straight back in. When they are not playing I don't miss it, but I'd hate to now be there when they do play. Annoying.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Considering we haven’t won a game this year not that much tbh. My last visit to the Amex I actually found quite depressing half hearted attempt at an atmosphere I can almost predict how every game is going to play out. Strange times before even stranger times.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Missing the social side and something to look forward to.

The only weekly event in our household at present is a takeaway.....

Hardly inspiring, however, found a Chinese that is actually open so will try that next as we live on the edge here.....

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Missing seeing my mates and pre-match pints etc. The football itself less so. Am missing/will really miss not having cricket to listen to on radio this summer. Gets me through many a working day

This.

Not missing it all (and I'm not saying that because of where we are in the table - god knows I've seen us play far worse and been in crappier positions than we are now - Gillingham anyone?).

The break in football seems like an age now and all the ideas and suggestions concerning it's return whether it be to empty stadiums, using neutral venues, increased use of subs, playing in face masks or whatever just leave me cold.

With the weather improving and being a big Cricket fan, it's now this that I am missing most. Will miss the days out at the County ground and a few international matches I was planning to see. As far as I'm concerned the football can wait.

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
Football and cricket are a big (too big?) part of my life. But for now there's a chance to focus on other things a bit more, which is probably a good thing.

I do look forward to the return of sport one day, though.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
As others have said. Missing the journey down chatting on the train, the cheeky pint in the Evening Star before heading up to Falmer. Standing in the sunshine, or even in the rain, with a pint of Harveys outside the ground, having a laugh with mates from other parts of the ground and watching the fans go by. Missing the pie and inevitable couple more pints on the West Upper concourse in the final hour before kick off. Then afterwards, catching up with those mates in the North Stand for the debrief and more laughs, and of course more beer. Not missing the football so much, football is the catalyst for all the other things on a match day, the glue of the shared experience that helps hold those friendships together, it doesn't really matter if we win or lose most of the time, what matters is that we are all there.

I am not missing the game itself nearly enough to make attractive the prospect of watching it on TV from an empty neutral stadium, that is not football to me. Therefore I have little or no interest in football until it can resume in the way that it matters for fans like myself. Those that like to watch in on TV may take a different view, but fans that go to games want to go to games.

Spot on. :thumbsup:

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe

I agree with this too. It makes me laugh when I hear Barber prattling on about the integrity of the game being missing if we use neutral venues - the integrity is gone immediately there are no fans ! You can play at Waterhall for all that it matters when the echoes are ringing - missing only the safe place to stash your £100,000 a week for doing so.
Why comment at all - it is irrelevant. Equally irrelevant, Gary Neville sayng that the "unthinkable might happen" if premier league football returns, and the clubs are frightened to discuss it.

Well Gary, settle back into your gilded mansion in Alderley Edge, and try to think about the 30,000 people for whom the unthinkable has already happened, and for the thousands more for whom it is about to happen. Stupid people, who just have to comment to keep themselves relevant - just keep quiet please.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Same sentiment as most people here, which I didn't expect to be honest. I thought most of you would be watching re-runs of games on Sky to get your fixes! I haven't missed the game that much, and I really thought I would.

Mrs Nose asked me if I missed the footie the other day and my reply was 'I miss it SO much. I miss walking down to Spoons with our Son or the Father in Law (or both), having a pint and some lunch, chatting on the train, feeling the atmosphere and listening to the singing when you all pile off at Falmer, walking up the stairs to the West Stand looking at the away teams coach thinking 'I hope you all have a really miserable journey home in your Ellisons Express', having a pint on the concourse and saying and nodding hello to my friends as they walk past, the half time cheeky pint, then chatting on the train on the way home about the other results, then getting off at Eastbourne and walking past the little offy to get a couple of cans for Match of the Day when we'll be on last as usual"

She then highlighted that not once did I mention the actual football.... ???

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Missing Sunday football with the kids as much as the Albion. Come summer don't miss football, other things to do...

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Missing the social side and something to look forward to.

The only weekly event in our household at present is a takeaway.....

Hardly inspiring, however, found a Chinese that is actually open so will try that next as we live on the edge here.....

We've got a superb Chinese takeaway just round the corner. It is shut. :ffsparr:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here