[Albion] How many players do we need for promotion?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Of course. Things have changed/improved all over the place. but How they've communicated the injury updates - not as far as i can tell. Still the regular updates via press conferences and post match conferences. And if warranted (eg: March out for the season) then a specific announcement.

Do you have an example you can share ? Was lets say Dale Stephens injury status last season any different in terms of announcements to Bong's progress this season. ? Did you have a specific prognosis that you had in mind ?

Not particularly that bothered I just recall many on here commenting we hadn't heard anything on Baldock when he was injured and how random it was. Normally you get some word from somewhere but they seed to be keeping cards closer to the chest...

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Forget Leicester, if he comes back to us he could get us promoted AND help us win the Premier League next year.

I think you must be living in La La Land, on the Planet Zog, if you are serious about that idea to be honest.

Us just getting to the Premier League would be one hell of an achievement, never mind winning it!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I fully accept that if you put your head in the oven it may get burnt but I do not buy this 'we are trying hard to bring in a left back, but there are none available' line. What did they do bring ina CB who had played at left back but not his prime position a repeat of the fiasco when Bong got injured. We appear to still have not learnt from this and that is what is annoying.. A possible scenario Ridgewell goes back to MLS, Bong plays his first game and due to lack of match practice commits a foul and gets a red card 3 game ban. What do we do go back to when he got injured with Calderon>

I give up. Same old rubbish. It's not that there's none available, it's there none available who will want to come here and are better than what we already have. In case you hadn't noticed we've had difficulty getting players for the left back position up until this season. It's even harder when you need a short term loan around the time the loan window is closing. You have no idea how hard we tried to get a left back in yet you judge Hughton and the club for not getting one. It's boring.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I think you must be living in La La Land, on the Planet Zog, if you are serious about that idea to be honest.

Us just getting to the Premier League would be one hell of an achievement, never mind winning it!

In fairness, I think Leicester fans would have said the same a few years ago (and I also think he's not being serious).

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Not sure of the point you are trying to make? Bournemouth won the league last season with just 12 regular players playing most of the games, and about 7 others making 20 league appearances or less. In total, including loans and just sub appearances, they used 24 players for the entire league campaign.

Albion Injury hit 2013-14 (can't be any worse)

Over 20 appearances: 16 (one left the club)
10-20 apps: 9 (two left the club)
Under 10 apps: 8 (including loans and one leaving)

Answering the original questtion in a roundabout way.

In a good luck season, I thought we could get away with a squad of 24, and perhaps add one more in January. With a good luck season might even get away with less like Bournemouth.

It looks like I was wrong as other sides are getting injuries. Experienced players get injured more. Looks like 24 is the minimum and we running a bit short of that. By the time of the play-offs a squad could easily become depleted.

25 in the PL seems a bit low and only Solly March would be U21.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Derby have 24 first team squad and the injured Will Hughes (Under 21). But three left backs. Hughes and Forsyth are out for the season though, and Warnock is an older player.
Boro have only 23.

So our squad is not actually weak in terms of numbers. About 27. So if we sign anybody, I would expect players to leave, if just on loan.

So allegations of us not having strength in depth might be slightly unfounded, Just that we haven't got a spare left back, or any left-sided player that can fit in.

I think if we aspire to PL we will have to learn to live with 25 players over 21.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

GK 3 Stockdale, Mäenpää, Ankergen/Walton
RB 2 Bruno, Rosenoir, Calderón +1
LB 2 Bong, (Ridgewell)
CD 4 Hünemeier, Dunk, Goldson, Greer
M 6 Kayal, Crofts, Stephens, Ince, Holla, Sidwell
AM/W 4 Lualua, Murphy, Knockaert -1
S 4 Hemed, Zamora, Baldock, Manu, (Wilson), Towell +2

U21 March (injured)

Lack of left-sided defenders, especially lack of cover at LB
Central defenders: if Greer is injured we are one short
Midfield: position filled
Attacking midfield/winger: one short for 4-2-4
Strikers: sufficient in numbers

Logically we are one and half (Ridgewell won't be available for the run in/play-offs) short
So if we signed a left wing-back as Forster-Caskey does seem up to it.
I would like a speed merchant (CH terminology) that can play any position across the front three.
Ideally, I would like a quick covering central defender (so we don't get caught with breakaways).

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

GK 3 Stockdale, Mäenpää, Ankergen/Walton
RB 2 Bruno, Rosenoir, Calderón +1
LB 2 Bong, (Ridgewell)
CD 4 Hünemeier, Dunk, Goldson, Greer
M 6 Kayal, Crofts, Stephens, Ince, Holla, Sidwell
AM/W 4 Lualua, Murphy, Knockaert -1
S 4 Hemed, Zamora, Baldock, Manu, (Wilson), Towell +2

U21 March (injured)

Lack of left-sided defenders, especially lack of cover at LB
Central defenders: if Greer is injured we are one short
Midfield: position filled
Attacking midfield/winger: one short for 4-2-4
Strikers: sufficient in numbers

Logically we are one and half (Ridgewell won't be available for the run in/play-offs) short
So if we signed a left wing-back as Forster-Caskey does seem up to it.
I would like a speed merchant (CH terminology) that can play any position across the front three.
Ideally, I would like a quick covering central defender (so we don't get caught with breakaways).

Your numbers are slightly off in my opinion.

Wilson would count as U21, Rosenior can equally be counted as left sided, and Towell is more midfield.

So overall we are OK for numbers, but with 1 too many in central midfield and 1 too few at ATM and ST.

But, you do need to look at the U21 players to then assess what we need as March and Wilson adequately fill the gaps.

But the recall over Wilson complicates things.

To cover this we need another striker, even if just a 93 day loan, if Wilson goes.

1 of Ince, or Holla to go, if both we'll need another in the center

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Your numbers are slightly off in my opinion.

Wilson would count as U21, Rosenior can equally be counted as left sided, and Towell is more midfield.

So overall we are OK for numbers, but with 1 too many in central midfield and 1 too few at ATM and ST.

But, you do need to look at the U21 players to then assess what we need as March and Wilson adequately fill the gaps.

But the recall over Wilson complicates things.

To cover this we need another striker, even if just a 93 day loan, if Wilson goes.

1 of Ince, or Holla to go, if both we'll need another in the center

Transfer Towell to Attacking Midfield makes just the absence of cover at left back to be addressed (in numbers). Rosenoir is overly right-footed, which means stopping crosses and distribution is impaired at left back. OK for an occasional game.

We are not even deficient in strength in depth compared to our rivals. Just that we are missing a reserve left back.

I hear that Boro are looking for two players to bring their squad up to 25.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
One argument for signing more players is now is that some players will not be with us next season (probably)

Greer (new covering central defender)
Zamora (new target man, of sorts, striker)
Wilson (new mobile striker)

If the players are available now they might not be in the summer and vice-versa.

Also an argument for not signing another winger/striker as Solly March will be back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports