Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How many players do we need for promotion?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
And that is why Tony should get his cheque book out...

We all know that if we are actually getting a PL striker it won't be until the selling club have a replacement sorted on deadline day.

Little point in being concerned about a striker purchase until Monday.

The big question is on Monday will we, instead of a striker, get a statement about the loan window opening soon ? ??? ???

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Leicester City 2013-14

Regular players 20
Occasional 8

Albion 2015-16

Regular: 17
Occasional 11 (excluding Sidwell)

and I thought we could manage with the 25 PL squad plus U21 youngsters. 18 regulars + 7 occasionals + our only U21 players Solly March, Forster-Caskey & Wilson.

Not sure of the point you are trying to make? Bournemouth won the league last season with just 12 regular players playing most of the games, and about 7 others making 20 league appearances or less. In total, including loans and just sub appearances, they used 24 players for the entire league campaign.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We all know that if we are actually getting a PL striker it won't be until the selling club have a replacement sorted on deadline day.

Little point in being concerned about a striker purchase until Monday.

The big question is on Monday will we, instead of a striker, get a statement about the loan window opening soon ? ??? ???

I would go for a permanent signing. Wilson a loanee, Sam B not good enough, Sir Bob retirement pending...

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Is it just me or are more people realizing that we need a left back back up to Bong?

I think you really miss the point of all the criticism you get. Not many people questioned that a left back would have been good before the loan window shut. The club were linked with left backs so obviously were trying to bring one in. What annoys people is that you then seemed to be so happy at being proved right and went on and on about Hughton's "mistake", when you have no idea how hard we tried to get a left back in or the options available. It gets boring.

In answer to the original point of the thread, a new striker would be great as would a left back but I'm not going to panic and moan if we don't get either as it's still been a very good transfer window, especially the signing of Knockaert.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Surely we don't need a centre back - it's the one position we have 4 good-ish players who have all started regularly. With Ridgewell here for a few more weeks and Greer / Hune due back from injury within the month we should be OK no?

I'd say another left back on loan - the lad Chillwell from Leicester would be nice for a month IF GB and LR don't recover soon or are delayed. And one striker who knows where the net is. I won't be panicking if we don't get the striker in Jan as I believe we will use the loan window well, and PB et al have always suggested business in Jan is hard. Despite what NSC's resident Championship Manager generation think about football transfers...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think you really miss the point of all the criticism you get. Not many people questioned that a left back would have been good before the loan window shut. The club were linked with left backs so obviously were trying to bring one in. What annoys people is that you then seemed to be so happy at being proved right and went on and on about Hughton's "mistake", when you have no idea how hard we tried to get a left back in or the options available. It gets boring.

In answer to the original point of the thread, a new striker would be great as would a left back but I'm not going to panic and moan if we don't get either as it's still been a very good transfer window, especially the signing of Knockaert.

Correct. And we don't know the state of Bong / Rosenior. Add the fact we've already signed a left back this window on a temp basis and the fact BG posted 30 times a day on the subject, he's gonna get stick. He's clearly playing up to it and enjoying every post directed at him anyway...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I would go for a permanent signing. Wilson a loanee, Sam B not good enough, Sir Bob retirement pending...

So would I.

We actually have just about enough, but 1 striker injury, or Wilson being recalled at the drop of a hat, and we are in deep trouble.

Having not been that keen on the loan window, it may be that if Wilson were to be recalled when the loan window is open, we would have to act and get a 2nd striker on top of the 1 will hopefully get in a few days.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Correct. And we don't know the state of Bong / Rosenior. .

we do know the state of Bong/ Rosenior.

Bong is not far from training. Rosenior behind him. Uwe a few more weeks away.
"Gaetan [Bong] out of the three [Uwe and Liam] is probably the one we hope will be back the quickest, but certainly it will be good to see them back up and running and in that squad again.”
http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/arti...-chris-hughton-huddersfield-town-2914122.aspx

and from 10 days ago.
From what we regard as the longer-term ones, Gaetan [Bong] would probably be the closest. He's out doing some good running at the moment and some ball work, which is very encouraging.

"Initially our thoughts were for him to return back to training with the group towards the end of this month or very early in February. I need to find out exactly where we are with him.
"At the moment, he's had no problems and we certainly look forward to getting him back."
http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/arti...ton-hove-albion-blackburn-rovers-2902323.aspx

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think we can be hopeful of Bong being pretty much ready by the Bolton or Hull games ( my guess ), all the indications from the club are positive about him.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Get everyone fit and we have a good balanced squad. Anyone added now will just be an upgrade.

Even if we don't sign anyone else, I'm pretty confident we will finish in the top 2.

A new striker, who will score 10+ goals between now and the end of the season, will win us the league.

Please send me some of those happy pills you're taking.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

"Gaetan [Bong] out of the three [Uwe and Liam] is probably the one we hope will be back the quickest, but certainly it will be good to see them back up and running and in that squad again.”
http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/arti...-chris-hughton-huddersfield-town-2914122.aspx

and from 10 days ago.
From what we regard as the longer-term ones, Gaetan [Bong] would probably be the closest. He's out doing some good running at the moment and some ball work, which is very encouraging.

"Initially our thoughts were for him to return back to training with the group towards the end of this month or very early in February. I need to find out exactly where we are with him.
"At the moment, he's had no problems and we certainly look forward to getting him back."
http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/arti...ton-hove-albion-blackburn-rovers-2902323.aspx

We know as much as we're told. Things change on a day to day basis. Remember, the club keep as much as possible close to their chest so other clubs don't know all our info - see the Sidwell comments on Saturday as a prime example. Anyone who believed the 'guest of Bobby' line needs to think a bit more :thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

and from 10 days ago.

Going to be such a boost to get Bong and Rosenior back - arguably as key as anyone in that first part of the season. Having those 2 available, Knockeart, Kaz, Murphy, plus Wilson, Zamora, Baldock and Hemed to choose from up front, Sidwell to add some experience to midfield. We should start to feel very positive again even if nothing further comes off in the window.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Going to be such a boost to get Bong and Rosenior back - arguably as key as anyone in that first part of the season. Having those 2 available, Knockeart, Kaz, Murphy, plus Wilson, Zamora, Baldock and Hemed to choose from up front. We should start to feel very positive again even if nothing further comes off in the window.

Agreed. I still have a hunch we'll get a striker in the loan window - NSC will go into meltdown for the last few days of the Jan window with the usual impatient suspects throwing the toys... I don't believe we will do anything like a panic buy - we'll get a good loan if we don't get a perm signing imo... And in the meantime we have BZ TH JW & SB to see us through for a few games...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We know as much as we're told. Things change on a day to day basis. Remember, the club keep as much as possible close to their chest so other clubs don't know all our info - see the Sidwell comments on Saturday as a prime example. Anyone who believed the 'guest of Bobby' line needs to think a bit more :thumbsup:

The club rightly have a policy of not commenting on transfer business. Hughton tried as best as he could to stick to that when asked about Sidwell on Saturday. He did his best !

As for injuries then bit unfair to suggest club aren't transparent. Hughton's updates on all other injuries this season have turned out to be accurate (unless of course they get injured again or decide to have an op). No evidence of him pulling a fast one.
So we've no reason to believe that Bong, Rosenior aren't due back in February. Something thats been communicated since beginning of Dec.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Agreed. I still have a hunch we'll get a striker in the loan window - NSC will go into meltdown for the last few days of the Jan window with the usual impatient suspects throwing the toys... I don't believe we will do anything like a panic buy - we'll get a good loan if we don't get a perm signing imo... And in the meantime we have BZ TH JW & SB to see us through for a few games...

All of this. New injuries and Wilson's possible recall aside, we're in increasingly better shape.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The club rightly have a policy of not commenting on transfer business. Hughton tried as best as he could to stick to that when asked about Sidwell on Saturday. He did his best !

As for injuries then bit unfair to suggest club aren't transparent. Hughton's updates on all other injuries this season have turned out to be accurate (unless of course they get injured again or decide to have an op). No evidence of him pulling a fast one.
So we've no reason to believe that Bong, Rosenior aren't due back in February. Something thats been communicated since beginning of Dec.

Yeh I believe it mate my point is if one has a setback in training or on the recovery, the club don't like to give out details straight away. For example if Bong's had a setback and could be out for another month extra, we'd be in the market for another LB you'd think. This season they've been v quiet on injuries - wasn't it KLL and Baldock where there was no official word for weeks? The club know what they're doing as I'm sure you'll agree - they will only ever divulge what they want to and that's cool.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
This season they've been v quiet on injuries -

Have they ? Hughton provides a report on injuries at nearly every pre-match press conference and has continued to do so this season. All of these have been published in media or on seagulls.co.uk

of course things can go wrong and players have setbacks . agreed.
but no sign at all that if a player is taking longer to recover than we'd hope then they haven't been transparent about it.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Have they ? Hughton provides a report on injuries at nearly every pre-match press conference and has continued to do so this season. All of these have been published in media or on seagulls.co.uk

of course things can go wrong and players have setbacks . agreed.
but no sign at all that if a player is taking longer to recover than we'd hope then they haven't been transparent about it.

Yes I think they have. Much different to years gone by. They give updates but rarely 'announce' an injury prognosis like they used to. I thought most on here agreed the Albion have done things a little differently this season..?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Correct. And we don't know the state of Bong / Rosenior. Add the fact we've already signed a left back this window on a temp basis and the fact BG posted 30 times a day on the subject, he's gonna get stick. He's clearly playing up to it and enjoying every post directed at him anyway...

I fully accept that if you put your head in the oven it may get burnt but I do not buy this 'we are trying hard to bring in a left back, but there are none available' line. What did they do bring ina CB who had played at left back but not his prime position a repeat of the fiasco when Bong got injured. We appear to still have not learnt from this and that is what is annoying.. A possible scenario Ridgewell goes back to MLS, Bong plays his first game and due to lack of match practice commits a foul and gets a red card 3 game ban. What do we do go back to when he got injured with Calderon>

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yes I think they have. Much different to years gone by. They give updates but rarely 'announce' an injury prognosis like they used to. I thought most on here agreed the Albion have done things a little differently this season..?

Of course. Things have changed/improved all over the place. but How they've communicated the injury updates - not as far as i can tell. Still the regular updates via press conferences and post match conferences. And if warranted (eg: March out for the season) then a specific announcement.

Do you have an example you can share ? Was lets say Dale Stephens injury status last season any different in terms of announcements to Bong's progress this season. ? Did you have a specific prognosis that you had in mind ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here