Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many penalties would you have given last night?

How many penalties would you have given last night?

• 0 - I'm completely blind

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • 1 - I've just booked myself into Specsavers

Votes: 25 16.7%

Votes: 81 54.0%

Votes: 41 27.3%

• Total voters

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Two. Theirs (obviously) and Calde's. Leo's would have been very soft, imo.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Still not sure about Calde's, which would mean - as you've asked me as a ref what I'd do - it's not a penalty.

The shirt-hold on Ulloa should have been a penalty, and the holding by the Derby defender, waiting for a corner to come in, on Ulloa immediately after the ref had spoken to the pair should also have been a penalty. Instead, the ref gave a free-kick to Derby which was as predictable as it was wrong.

Theirs was nailed on / stonewall / obvious / easy to give.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Two. Theirs and Calde. I think the latter was just too big a call for the officials so early in a big game. Which is cowardly rather than correct.

This. It's disappointing. Hand on heart Derby were better than us, but with a bit of luck it could have been a totally different score. We were unlucky, had a strong penalty shout turned down, and their 'keeper played a blinder. The way I see it now is we're 0-1 down at half time, but with ninety minutes to put it right.

If Derby do a professional job they should keep us out but it's a Cup Final now and we've got players that can cause any team problems. We're on the back foot but we're totally in it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm with a few others, not sure either of ours were penalties really. I'd be apoletic if they had been given against us. You have to remember Ulloa does as much holding as the defenders during the game, and with a bit of theatrics, a ref is going to be hard pushed to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Think I said on another thread, I thought the ref did pretty well, and wouldn't have said his officiating had any real impact on the game in my opinion.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I am astonished that people are querying the Calde one to be honest. If a defender is wrong-footed, then desperately flails his leg out backwards it's asking for trouble. It was one of those that's so dumb it's hard to believe. Can't help thinking our foreign players suffer the Suarez effect - pre-judged to be prone to a flamboyant fall and therefore miss out on some solid penalty shouts.

Stevegull

Sep 9, 2005
Lewes
Chris Martin's shushing of the crowd has to be the wimpiest I've ever seen, he was practically hiding his head when he did it. If you're going to be a prick, you may as well go full Adebayor about it.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, go big or go home

Crewton Ram

Jan 10, 2013
Calderon is off his feet before he even touches Forsyth. It was a dive and very nearly a clever one - Chris Martin get sent off at Burnley for an incident that was very similar. The Buxton/Ulloa holding incident - yes, some refs might have judged that in Ulloa's favour, but again, he doesn't help himself with all his moaning, throwing himself on the ground and card-waving antics.

There were three or four penalty 'claims' last night (we had another when your keeper palmed out a cross and it hit a defenders arm) but I think the ref was about right because he awarded the only one that was absolutely clear cut. Of course, I WOULD say that, wouldn't I?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Calderon is off his feet before he even touches Forsyth. It was a dive and very nearly a clever one - Chris Martin get sent off at Burnley for an incident that was very similar. The Buxton/Ulloa holding incident - yes, some refs might have judged that in Ulloa's favour, but again, he doesn't help himself with all his moaning, throwing himself on the ground and card-waving antics.

There were three or four penalty 'claims' last night (we had another when your keeper palmed out a cross and it hit a defenders arm) but I think the ref was about right because he awarded the only one that was absolutely clear cut. Of course, I WOULD say that, wouldn't I?

The referee needs to judge every incident on its merits. To judge it on the consideration that a striker is a bit moany is, for me, actually prejudicial - and unprofessional.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Having misread the question (for some reason thought it said to us), I went with 0, but that should have been 1 to Derby

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Oops I voted one, thinking this was for us only. I meant two really, HONEST.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
3, Calde's and Ulloa's shirt pull. Just watched the highlights on skysports and the defender is clearly wanting to swap shirts early... Their penalty was stonewall, no argument from me.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
PIG just never looks like saving penalties :(

Also, Chris Martin's shushing of the crowd has to be the wimpiest I've ever seen, he was practically hiding his head when he did it. If you're going to be a prick, you may as well go full Adebayor about it.

This should be an official phrase in the English language!

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
We would have missed so it does not matter

This is a thread about how many penalties each poster would have given if they were the referee, not how many Brighton may or may not have scored. Your tedious, negative, trolling comments are not wanted or required on this thread. :bigwave:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Two. Calde's one first half and theirs. However, having not given the blatant foul on Calde, he should have given the shirt-tug on Leo (or bearhug on Calde from the same incident).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here