Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many more games has Hypia got, if the current 8 league run without a win continues?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The problem as I see it is the players are just not up to playing the Sami way no matter how hard he tries to beat it into them ( which includes the international breaks and time to get his message across but we have actually got worse ). We need to go back to a formation they can actually deal with

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It's very hard to believe the comments from the club about the budget being the same when you look at who we have now and who we had before Poyet's demise isn't it?

Why ? Perhaps because in the squad that year we had players such as

Gary Dicker
Brezovan
Romain Vincelot
Torby Adgenstein
Marcos Painter
Adam El Abd

on presumably contracts well before the promotion/Amex and not on a par, i suspect, in terms of wages with even the youngest/inexperienced/fringe players in our first team squad this season like Toko and Chicksen.

Are our signings this season ; Holla (ex Eridvese), McCourt (international), Hughes (ex Prem), and last season Agustien (ex Prem) really on less wages than Bridcutt, Orlandi, Lopez and Buckley ?

As with this year, we've relied on prem league loans which we don't play 100% of wages so its not unusual to think that Bridge, Hammond, Upson's salaries *paid for by the Albion* are probably in line with Bennett, Gardner and Teixeira

And then of course there's a hardcore of players still here. Greer, CMS, KLL, Crofts, Bruno, Calde are still with us and on the same contracts.
JFC and Dunk were there then and are now on longer, better more highly paid contracts.

And are Colunga, O'Grady and Baldock on lower contracts than Ulloa (when originally signed), Barnes and Hoskins ?

We might be frustrated that the the team isn't performing this season. We might be sore that Ulloa is in the Premier League knocking them in.
But this idea that the club isn't funding a very highly paid squad and that Bloom stopped all that as soon as Gus was sacked just doesn't stand up.
The most recent accounts (8th highest paid squad in the division) doesn't stand it up either.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The only real issues I can see are (a) tactics and (b) player recruitment for those tactics.

Do the players understanding what we are trying to do? I mean, I don't, but that not important. But do the players?

And it is an old tune but we did not recruit our forward line for the system Sami wanted to play. If we did something got lost in translation.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
The replacement players might not be quite as good as the ones they have lost but they were reasonably accomplished and it seems to be a bit of a coincidence that none of them are doing that great. It was an unnecessary gamble to take on someone who has not previously been a manager [it worked with Mullery somehow]. If you can see what the manager is trying to do, you can be patient. The problem is when the players don't seem to know and the supporters are not sure you need to be lucky which to be fair they have not yet. If they took SH on a long term contract then you have to question the competence of running the club. Please let me have egg on my face.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Twelve league games.ONE goal from our strikers. That says it all. Hope you are happy Burke with the cheap shit. Well done you x

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
If only we signed Sir Glenn back we would not be having these threads.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Why ? Perhaps because in the squad that year we had players such as

Gary Dicker
Brezovan
Romain Vincelot
Torby Adgenstein
Marcos Painter
Adam El Abd

on presumably contracts well before the promotion/Amex and not on a par, i suspect, in terms of wages with even the youngest/inexperienced/fringe players in our first team squad this season like Toko and Chicksen.

Are our signings this season ; Holla (ex Eridvese), McCourt (international), Hughes (ex Prem), and last season Agustien (ex Prem) really on less wages than Bridcutt, Orlandi, Lopez and Buckley ?

As with this year, we've relied on prem league loans which we don't play 100% of wages so its not unusual to think that Bridge, Hammond, Upson's salaries *paid for by the Albion* are probably in line with Bennett, Gardner and Teixeira

And then of course there's a hardcore of players still here. Greer, CMS, KLL, Crofts, Bruno, Calde are still with us and on the same contracts.
JFC and Dunk were there then and are now on longer, better more highly paid contracts.

And are Colunga, O'Grady and Baldock on lower contracts than Ulloa (when originally signed), Barnes and Hoskins ?

We might be frustrated that the the team isn't performing this season. We might be sore that Ulloa is in the Premier League knocking them in.
But this idea that the club isn't funding a very highly paid squad and that Bloom stopped all that as soon as Gus was sacked just doesn't stand up.
The most recent accounts (8th highest paid squad in the division) doesn't stand it up either.

I'm sorry but I cannot agree that the current squad is likely to have cost as much in fees and wages as the one from 2012/13 which is the figures that you and El Pres keep quoting.

I'm not going to compare player by player but imo the squad of 2012/13 is likely to have cost quite a bit more than the current one. You use Agustien as an example, that year we signed three players form the same club and I doubt any were on less money than Agustien.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012–13_Brighton_&_Hove_Albion_F.C._season

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Sammi is finding it hard and that is probably due to a lack of experience, poor guidance(NJ), high expectations and a lack of quality players. Not sure if it will be possible to change everything before its too late.
Personally I don't think we need a lot to reach the teams potential, a mid table position. I would be ok with that as long as whoever scouts and signs the players gets his/her/their fingers out for next season.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm sorry but I cannot agree that the current squad is likely to have cost as much in fees and wages as the one from 2012/13

I'm not going to compare player by player

Well we won't know until we see the accounts although its unlikely the bill has gone down given player wage inflation and looking at the ins and outs. And there's a big difference between our views on whether they are better players than the 2012/13 crop and whether they are *paid* the same or more.

Even if they aren't currently performing or fans don't rate them , as i said in my previous post; even the fringe players in our squad now have ex Prem or Tier 1 experience and are likely to have better contracts than Dicker, Painter, El Abd, Brez, and even Barker who are featured however briefly in 2012/13.

I'm not arguing that Holla, Bennett, Baldock, Teixeira, and McCourt are better than Buckley, Ulloa, Bridcutt, Bridge and Vicente. And i'm not arguing that those 5 players , for example, are necessarily on better contracts . I am fairly confident however that the first team squad of 25 , in terms of wages, is on par and probably more than 2012/13. How that compares to the rest of the division - I suspect its pretty competitive.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well we won't know until we see the accounts although its unlikely the bill has gone down given player wage inflation and looking at the ins and outs. And there's a big difference between our views on whether they are better players than the 2012/13 crop and whether they are *paid* the same or more.

Even if they aren't currently performing or fans don't rate them , as i said in my previous post; even the fringe players in our squad now have ex Prem or Tier 1 experience and are likely to have better contracts than Dicker, Painter, El Abd, Brez, and even Barker who are featured however briefly in 2012/13.

I'm not arguing that Holla, Bennett, Baldock, Teixeira, and McCourt are better than Buckley, Ulloa, Bridcutt, Bridge and Vicente. And i'm not arguing that those 5 players , for example, are necessarily on better contracts . I am fairly confident however that the first team squad of 25 , in terms of wages, is on par and probably more than 2012/13. How that compares to the rest of the division - I suspect its pretty competitive.

As you say, we will see and it shouldn't be too long now for last year's accounts to be published?. I don't think anyone would argue that the current squad is anywhere near as strong as the one of 2012/13

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
If this was Football Manager, i'd be fearing for my 'job'.

Failure to win in the next 2 games and i do not think he will remain in charge.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
To sack Hyypia so early would mean the hierachy would be admitting they got it wrong - for this reason I dont think he will go. Also we need our annual summer in turmoil so I doubt any axes would be sharpened until May.

I cant help thinking of the 10 game losing streak (was it more ?) that cost Hyypia his last job.

Its all very well sticking to principles but its a results business and if it isnt working then the system needs changing to grind something out. 2 wins all season and 1 goal from strikers is an absolutely alarming statistic. I think if we had an experienced no 2 this is where they would earn their money !

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I think it's purely down to Sami Hyypia how long he's got, if he's prepared to be flexible in his tactics to try and get the best out of the squad he's got then he might be able to turn it around and be here for a while. If he's going to stubbornly stick to his tactics that results prove are not working then a couple more winless games this week and he could well be gone, I'd like to see him succeed here but at the end of the day it's a result's business and we're not getting them.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
How long's Sami's contract - if he doesn't walk how much will it cost to get rid of him ??

This.

A little confused as to why people aren't concentrating on this!

TB has shown that he's not one to pay off a manager... A lengthy legal battle dragging the club through the mud because he felt he was right should be evidence enough.

Unless there is a performance clause in SH's contract, we will have him until the end of the season. If there is a performance clause I would expect it to kick in in January personally (Tony strikes me as the sort who works to fixed timelines (such as "1st January") rather than continuous monitoring (such as "10 consecutive games") - that's just my gut feel.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Failure to win in October would be very hard for anyone to argue the case that we should hold the faith, as blooming November looks like a very hard month Wigan, Blackburn, Norwich and Fulham will not be easy at all and could see us even a drift at the bottom.....

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
This squad is the weakest we've had at the Amex - it's probably even weaker than the one that won League One. Why is that? Probably a combination of poor recruitment and our not-top-dollar wages - neither of which are Hypia's fault. (Fulham's parachute payment alone is bigger than our entire turnover!)

Any new guy will have exactly the same problems, so it's just a gamble either way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here