Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many brighton managers have you disliked since supporting the albion?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
The first Peter Taylor is vastly overrated IMO. Two seasons of failure. He frequently didn't turn up to first team matches to go on scouting missions. Not much of a clue how to play away from home. He also bought quite a lot of flops to go with the players that eventually became successes under Mullery.

You're rewriting history. He assembled a great side - Grummitt, Fuschillo, Piper, McEwan, Towner, Rollings, Mellor, O'Sullivan, Binney, Morgan, Horton, Cattlin and Ward - he simply didn't have the motivational qualities of Mullery or the other half of his partnership who baled out early to Leeds.

Taylor's team, plus a few additions (Lawrenson, Maybank, Sayer) because Bamber was splashing the cash, was the one that was promoted.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Never really disliked any of them. Was disappointed in Peter Taylor for leaving, same with Coppell and Horton. Jeff Wood was probably the least successful in my time supporting the club.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Barry Lloyd.
Hinshelwood was very shit as a manager, but he never should have been offered it. He wasn't going to say no.
And much as I loved Jimmy Case as an Albion player, I could have killed him after that Sudbury replay as a manager. The pits.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The worst manager without a doubt was George Curtis.
After over fifty six years we gained promotion to the second tier of English football, it took this tw*t only two years to take us down to the fourth tier.
I often wonder where we could have been if this guy had never ever come to the Albion.

It took long enough for somebody to come up with the name of the worst manage we ever had - George Curtis.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't hate any of them. They all tried their best. If they weren't all that much good you can't hate them for that. I prefer to think of the good points. Archie Mac was manage when I started supporting. He was rough on Smithy over money (a ghosted newspaper column) but none of them had much in those days.

The ones I like the least were Clough for his disrespect (but he did put us on the map), Adams II for taking the job when he was in no fit state to manage an off license, and Poyet for trashing his own reputation instead of admitting (and seeking a solution) to the lack of plan B.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I don't hate any of them. They all tried their best. If they weren't all that much good you can't hate them for that. I prefer to think of the good points. Archie Mac was manage when I started supporting. He was rough on Smithy over money (a ghosted newspaper column) but none of them had much in those days.

The ones I like the least were Clough for his disrespect (but he did put us on the map), Adams II for taking the job when he was in no fit state to manage an off license, and Poyet for trashing his own reputation instead of admitting (and seeking a solution) to the lack of plan B.

There's a Bobby Smith article on my blog tomorrow. What was the issue that Macaulay had about Smith's ghosted articles?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Never actively disliked any of them, but i agree with many that Adams MkII was just baffling and i wondered if, near the end if all his toys were still in the attic or not.

Also Hinshelwood. Shouldn't have been manager, really (he did a lot of good behind the scenes) and i got prematurely excited after beating Burnley and drawing against Coventry that we'd actually do alright....then it happened.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Brian Clough , lost all respect when he left for Leeds
Spot on...the biggest disappointment ever....yet Peter Taylor....(Cloughies assistant) built the team for Mullery...good manager was Archie McCauley....but it is a matter of opinions....nicest man in my book was Steve Gritt.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
There was a lot more behind the B.Smith saga than is generally known...I found out a bit about it but respect to BS I have not said too much....

Do you think Bobby Smith would have written his article for Charlie Buchan's Football Monthly or would it have been ghostwritten for him?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Surely the most disliked would probably be because he was the worst the two go hand in glove I would think

Not necessarily. A nice chap like Hinshelwood would not be loathed, just considered of his depth.

Surely the most disliked would probably be because he was the worst the two go hand in glove I would think

No not really,lets hope people are not that shallow,plenty of people who can do jobs well but that does not make them people i would like. A decent bloke who is honest and putting it it in but not up to the mark would not make me dislike him,i might just want a better manager,but a good manager who was not loyal and a self indulgent little Hitler might not be liked regardless of results.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I think the only one I've never really liked is Peter Taylor (recent) as others have said he came in riding on the coat-tails of the team Mickey Adams built and ****ed off as soon as he knew it would be a challenge the next season and he clearly wasn't up for that challenge. Wasn't exactly brilliant football either but it was effective.

Mickey Adams second time around wasn't fun, and proved the old saying "never go back" but I couldn't hate the bloke because he did so much for us first time around, built a hard working side that punched well above their weight and he got us Bobby.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
No not really,lets hope people are not that shallow,plenty of people who can do jobs well but that does not make them people i would like. A decent bloke who is honest and putting it it in but not up to the mark would not make me dislike him,i might just want a better manager,but a good manager who was not loyal and a self indulgent little Hitler might not be liked regardless of results.

This is my fault as I did put the Curtis name forward by saying he was the worst manager and I should have added my most disliked, because the man was arrogant in his views towards the team. He took over a team that had done well to stay three seasons for the first time in the second tier of English football and by discarding all the experienced players that had kept us there. He went 100% youth and we were down virtually by Christmas in his first season in charge, the following season he did the same and this arrogant B*stard ruined in two seasons, what we had been trying to achieve in 56 years, No I think I can truly say I disliked him.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I personally dont get the hatred of Peter Taylor...

He took on Mickey Adams side, but kept it ticking over, which isnt an easy thing to do. We had some great results under him and not only taking us up, but taking us up as Champions in my opinion is still a decent effort.

He left the club stating that the facilities were not good enough and then went to Hull seems like a pretty decent move at the time to me. A club on the up with a new ground, training facilities or a club with no ground, no training facilities and even 10 years on these still are not in place fully.

I dont blame him for leaving us, he was completely right about where we were at, at the time.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
He left the club stating that the facilities were not good enough and then went to Hull seems like a pretty decent move at the time to me. .

He didn't go straight to Hull though, did he? That was mid-October.

He would rather have been unemployed than take on the challenge of the Championship with the Albion.

Not saying it would have been easy - it wouldn't. But still a bit gutless.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Hate - Clough X2 (because he then went and ruined Wardy)

Feel sorry for - Case, Wood, Hinshelwood, Poyet (the jury's still out for me but possibly a 'great' manager destroyed by his ego?)

Adams Mark II was a bit like the Twilight Zone and I still am not sure what I feel towards him

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here