Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Long Do You Leave It In?

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
I know this isn't a coffee thread, but I hope you all know that putting the milk in before the water when making coffee is far superior a method. Here's why: boiling hot water burns the coffee granules slightly on impact resulting in that bitter flavour, however if milk is added beforehand, the coffee will not burn, giving a far smoother taste. It's true.

Did an experiment two cups coefficient milk in one just coffee in the other boiled water to both and I am amazed but the taste improvement is very noticeable in the coffee which had the milk added first

As for tea always water first good stur depending on tea bag strength will leave it in anything between 30seconds ad five mins before adding milk

Amsterdam Albion

Mar 11, 2008
I don't have milk to my tea (or coffee). I do though add a few drops of lime juice from a fresh lime. This takes away the bitterness, I don't do sugar in tea or coffee.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
4 pages and this hasn't been posted?? :shock:

for the record, even Doc is wrong. water in first, leave it 3 minutes (depending on the shape of t-bag), bit of a dunk and bin.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
When I'm at home I put the bag in first then the water, I then use the bag to make a cup for the wife as she likes weak tea, and finally add milk to both cups.

However, when I'm at work the bag goes in with the milk then the hot water goes in last. Some serious agitation of the bag for 30 seconds with a final squeeze before removing it and Robert is my fathers brother!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
For me there are 2 options depending on the availability of a teapot

WITH teapot:

1. Teabag(s) into teapot and leave to stew for at least 2 minutes (normally 3-4 though)
2. Milk in bottom of cup
3. Give the tea a quick stir in the pot so it's not too weak in the spout
4. Pour tea into cup

WITHOUT teapot:

1. Teabag in mug
2. Add hot water and stew for at least 2 minutes
3. Squeeze the teabag against the side of the mug with a teaspoon
4. Remove teabag
5. Add milk

My most important rule: The teabag and milk must NEVER occupy the cup at the same time.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
I have never considered putting anybody on my ignore list before however this milk first comment is unacceptable. I will sleep on it and decide in the morning.

What did you decide????

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
There was a survey somewhere last year, about how long you leave it in dictates how good tea is for you.

If i remember right I think that about 3 minutes was the optimum time. Under a minute, or over 4, and all health benefits were lost :moo:

Now drinking Sainsbury's fair-trade cheapy tea-bags. 27p for 80! A veritble bargain, and not a bad cup of tea too!

You sir are a ****in Hethan,loose tea brewed in a pot is the only way to make decent cuppa

Is the correct answer.

However this thread has got me reminiscing of an old joke from many years ago.

Q: What goes in dry, comes out wet and gives satisfaction to two people?
A: A tea bag!

Boom, tish as they used to say.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Does anyone remember PG Tips instant tea granules? Is sticking a tea bag into a mug and fishing it out a few minutes later really time consuming?

Guerrero

Jul 17, 2010
Near Alicante.Spain
I never drank tea when I lived in Brighton.42 years without a cuppa.I was a coffee man.
Now I have lived in Spain for ten years and I drink it every day.
I never really followed the Albion when I lived in Brighton.I had an interest and that was it.
Now I have lived in Spain for ten years and I really like them.
I was openly repulsed by rampant homosexuality when I lived in Brighton...........................
Still am!
Each to their own though!

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
What did you decide????

Took a notebook from the drawer and marked his name in it.
Basically issued a Yellow rather than a straight Red.
Turns out that for the perfect cuppa you are supposed to add the tea to the Milk after all. However, and it's a big however the teabag/tea leaves NEVER meet the milk before the hot water!
I respect and thank those that have suggested this is what you are supposed to do with Coffee though.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Got to be hot water first, 20 seconds, then splash of milk and leave still for the rest of 2 minutes. Agitate and leave a further 30 seconds. Removed teabag with just a tease of partial re-insertion once or twice before binning and adding sugar. Quick stir and it's ready........ off for a brew up!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here