Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Long Do You Leave It In?

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
What a load of tosh about those who put milk in first. Maybe if you were living in the 1970's this would make a difference, but now that it's 2013 it makes no difference at all, and in fact makes a better tea, as the water should never be boiling when you pour it over the tea bag anyway. The tannin you get, from NOT putting in milk first, stains your teeth, and you never have to pour away any tea because you haven't left enough room for the milk.

Jeez peeps, it's 2013. Take a look outside. Things are in colour now, not sepia.

blueandwhitestripes

Mar 18, 2008
Sussex
What a load of tosh about those who put milk in first. Maybe if you were living in the 1970's this would make a difference, but now that it's 2013 it makes no difference at all, and in fact makes a better tea, as the water should never be boiling when you pour it over the tea bag anyway. The tannin you get, from NOT putting in milk first, stains your teeth, and you never have to pour away any tea because you haven't left enough room for the milk.

Jeez peeps, it's 2013. Take a look outside. Things are in colour now, not sepia.

Woah! 666 pages

pipkin112

Aug 10, 2011
sompting

:smokin:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I don't trust anyone that puts the milk in first. What next? Paedophilia? Listening to Razorlight?

Bag (Twinings English Breakfast, m'lud), water (couple of mins, but if in a rush then a few good stirs (gently, mind) and a quick squeeze at the end before adding milk.

BuddyBoy

Mar 3, 2013
I know this isn't a coffee thread, but I hope you all know that putting the milk in before the water when making coffee is far superior a method. Here's why: boiling hot water burns the coffee granules slightly on impact resulting in that bitter flavour, however if milk is added beforehand, the coffee will not burn, giving a far smoother taste. It's true.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I know this isn't a coffee thread, but I hope you all know that putting the milk in before the water when making coffee is far superior a method. Here's why: boiling hot water burns the coffee granules slightly on impact resulting in that bitter flavour...

yes. one can only assume its because of this that some poor deluded fools think that milk in first for tea is acceptable, when you want the water as hot as possible. onyl time milk firt is acceptable is when tea has been made in a pot.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
My wife has a right moan if I put the white stuff in her cup before the bag has a chance to empty fully

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Now, I am allergic to tannin... so dear NSC, what is the best method for me? (I can only have one cup of tea a day, or a get panic attacks... its all very strange)

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I don't trust anyone that puts the milk in first. What next? Paedophilia? Listening to Razorlight?

Bag (Twinings English Breakfast, m'lud), water (couple of mins, but if in a rush then a few good stirs (gently, mind) and a quick squeeze at the end before adding milk.

Is that the same Twinings English Breakfast that is now made in Poland? :wozza:

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

Is that the same Twinings English Breakfast that is now made in Poland? :wozza:

Edit. Double post.

D

Deleted member 18477

I know this isn't a coffee thread, but I hope you all know that putting the milk in before the water when making coffee is far superior a method. Here's why: boiling hot water burns the coffee granules slightly on impact resulting in that bitter flavour, however if milk is added beforehand, the coffee will not burn, giving a far smoother taste. It's true.

Instant coffee is not the one though! Ground coffee is simply beautiful!

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

D

Deleted member 18477

thank you mr Starbuck!

I hardly ever go to Starbucks. Usually buy some ground coffee from a supermarket for about £3 and make about 20 coffees rather than only get 2 for £3 from Starbucks!

The best way to do it is to grind coffee beans up but I'm happy with ready ground coffee.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
I hardly ever go to Starbucks. Usually buy some ground coffee from a supermarket for about £3 and make about 20 coffees rather than only get 2 for £3 from Starbucks!

The best way to do it is to grind coffee beans up but I'm happy with ready ground coffee.

Yes, but do you pay the tax on it?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
More importantly, when making tea with a tea bag in a cup are you a milk first or water first type of person?
Me, milk first then leave it to brew for around a minute and a half.

Shocking tea making

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here