Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Long Do You Leave It In?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Three minutes, plus a couple of squeezes before total removal of the bag.

At work I tend to have to replicate the three minutes utilising gentle bats of the bag against the inside of the cup due to time constraints :)

And never milk first - the only benefit to milk first as far as I can see is you don't get the tannin 'scum' forming on the top of the tea but I'm not precious :D

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
3 mins with a little bounce as you fish it out with a spoon. No stirring at all; just let the hot water do its magic. Add enough milk to make it the colour of those flat disc shaped Quality Street toffees.

Sounds spot on. I did a tour of a tea factory once and they said 3 mins was the optimum time and no need to stir. Milk in first or last seems to be a social class thing. Tea does seem to taste better out of a china cup than a mug though (not that I drink it like that much).

blueandwhitestripes

Mar 18, 2008
Sussex
Can't believe no one's mentioned dunking. My wife likes a chocolate hobnob dunked in hers :shrug:

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
3-5 minutes of brewing time.

Then I squeeze and bin the tea bag. Never re-use! Add some milk... Not too much and not too little. NO SUGAR!!!

Crackin' cuppa, fella. :thumbup:

BuddyBoy

Mar 3, 2013
Without stating the brand of tea and the type of tea used, this is a wasted thread.

Earl Grey - less than a minute
PG Tips - 2 minutes with lots of squeezage
Yorkshire Tea - see above
Herbal tea of any kind - leave it in whilst drinking

Last edited:

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
What's the optimum time for leaving in the teabag when having a single cup?
My wife has accused me of not leaving it in long enough.

Do you give it a final squeeze?

Do you re-use the bag?

You sir are a ****in Hethan,loose tea brewed in a pot is the only way to make decent cuppa

Mad as my Mother

May 21, 2013
Dorset
Teapot for me, a few different containers of tea leaves so that I can blend to taste.
If I use a teabag then @dig54 got it spot on!

Milk first when using a teapot, but never when using a teabag in a cup!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here