Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Long Before The Fans Turn on Poyet?

we hate palace

Aug 4, 2012
north chailey
we have played two good teams so far, cardiff are top six every season and hull are a top eight team so why are we worried we have matched both teams and are just a striker short of a very good team, it will all come good gus don't seem to worried, so lets just enjoy the season and judge everything at the end of the season, i think everyone forgets reading had a awful start last season and ended up champions

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Most of us LOVE him. He would have to have a serious fling with CP to break our hearts.

The Gus Bus has a full tank of petrol and is heading for football central, stick your hand out if you want to ride..

:wave:

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
All is indeed good. I came away last night having watched a hugely enjoyable game in a stadium which is looking pretty amazing. It is far too early to form any valid assessment of Poyet and the team that he has built for this season. We can only be judged after ten matches at least. All this has been said already on this thread but I watch football to be entertained as well as have success. So far so good!

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
There are two points here, one serious and one farcical.

1) The Albion fans WOULD call for Gus to go. If we are going to get crowds of 25,000 on a regular basis and everybody is paying high prices for it then the level of expectation will be out of this world compared to anything we've known before. At the very least there will be a demand to win the majority of home matches. People need to stop thinking Gus can do no wrong and that we're lucky to have him, based purely on the fact we used to be a small club happy to stay in League One. It might be true to a certain extent, but what is even more certain is that Gus is lucky to have one of the prime jobs in English football right now. If he can't do it, he will be moved on at some point. I'm not saying that's likely, I back Gus totally, although I'm not entirely impressed with him when he acts like he did last night. But let's stop pretending it's nice just to be in the Championship and that finishing 12th would be a great job by all. He needs to have some pressure on him.

2) The farcical - we've played two league matches. Get a grip. I doubt we'll have many harder home games than last night as Cardiff are a quality outfit and we looked just as good as them. Plus, Hull is a tough first game. One point is all we got out of those last season and it's no disgrace to get that again. Anybody drawing any conclusions about players or Gus is mental at this stage.

SPOT ON....

I'd rather a slow plod towards the promised land while keeping costs under control that do it in 2 or 3 seasons and become another Pompey. Seriously, we're two league games into the second season where the infrastructure required has been in place. Patience is the key and anything above half way will be a good achievement.

Such an annoying comment. Just because you are in the premiership doesn't mean we will spend spend spend and do a "Portsmouth". Anyone who wouldn't want us to get promoted asap is mad. The parachute payments for the next few years would be massive, plus the experience, and that's the worse case scenario after relegation.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Anyone who makes a judgement on the league after two games has clearly been watching too much SkySports, in which every game is a potential TITLE DECIDER.

Mugs. I thought we played well last night. I was quite heartened by that as we certainly showed a lot more dynamism than we did towards the end of last season. All that was missing was a goal or two. And I'm confident that will come.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Im sure Gus doesnt think he has to be top by October.

What?

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
It is a brave new World now and failure is not an option. We do not have the luxury of fannying around mid table or the arse end of the championship. Bloom has invested £ 105 000 000 in the club. Do you think he did this to see us as " an also ran ".

He is patient, we saw that with Slade, but he has an agenda for the club and that is far higher than the majority of BHAFC fans it would seem, certainly people on nsc. Long term fans of the club have got used to us being a small club and people still have this " small club " mentality, ever grateful for us not being in the 3rd or 4th division, over lavish praise for the team and manager, accepting of almost anything. RAISE THE BAR. Every single thing at the Amex , the club, the marketing, the merchandise is premiership. The only thing that is not is the team, not by a long way. The team needs to catch up and quickly, 3 years to go up tops, ideally, maybe 4-5 but Bloom would not be happy with that.

The facts are 3 games and 0 goals, 1 point in 6 and 21st is a CRAP start to the season. You start to give the strong teams a head start and that gets ever harder to catch up. Poyet does not have forever to get this team right.

If anyone thinks lower than 10th is acceptable this season they are following the wrong club. 10th is unacceptable, a play off place at the very least is the objective and if that fails promotion next season.

That is the script, keep up at the back please.

Absolutely spot on.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
It is a brave new World now and failure is not an option. We do not have the luxury of fannying around mid table or the arse end of the championship. Bloom has invested £ 105 000 000 in the club. Do you think he did this to see us as " an also ran ".

He is patient, we saw that with Slade, but he has an agenda for the club and that is far higher than the majority of BHAFC fans it would seem, certainly people on nsc. Long term fans of the club have got used to us being a small club and people still have this " small club " mentality, ever grateful for us not being in the 3rd or 4th division, over lavish praise for the team and manager, accepting of almost anything. RAISE THE BAR. Every single thing at the Amex , the club, the marketing, the merchandise is premiership. The only thing that is not is the team, not by a long way. The team needs to catch up and quickly, 3 years to go up tops, ideally, maybe 4-5 but Bloom would not be happy with that.

The facts are 3 games and 0 goals, 1 point in 6 and 21st is a CRAP start to the season. You start to give the strong teams a head start and that gets ever harder to catch up. Poyet does not have forever to get this team right.

If anyone thinks lower than 10th is acceptable this season they are following the wrong club. 10th is unacceptable, a play off place at the very least is the objective and if that fails promotion next season.

Great post....Last ten league games, Wins=0, Draws=6, Lost=4, Gd=-9 Pts=6....That's not just the two games this season, that is the last ten games. That form will see us finish 24th and down by Easter. Now I don't think that is going to happen and for what it's worth I am quite encouraged by the way we have started. We seem not to be tapping it around so much and a bit more direct, so that's all good stuff. But the fact is, if we don't get a top end striker in, we are in the shit and below 10th is not acceptable. Like this post said did people actually look around last night???There is only one place Mr Bloom wants to be and it's the only place he will ever see a return on his money and if he does not see it happening.......well, he is not the man he is today because he is scared of making big decisions. Poyet needs to deliver and without a striker, i'm not sure even he thinks he can...And I don't buy this we cant afford anyone bullshit either. They are not staying away because of lack of funds anyone with working eyes can work that one out.

redhill seagull 66

May 25, 2012
well considering we can compete with the likes of cardiff as equals and imo we were the better team,same goes for hull..i dont think the fans will turn on poyet anytime soon..maybe the jcl fans who think we will/should win every game will.but those of us from the old goldstone/withdean days i would say are happy as feck with gus

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
well considering we can compete with the likes of cardiff as equals and imo we were the better team,same goes for hull..i dont think the fans will turn on poyet anytime soon..maybe the jcl fans who think we will/should win every game will.but those of us from the old goldstone/withdean days i would say are happy as feck with gus

We have moved on from Withdean. Literally and metaphorically.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011

Spot on, again!

£4m+ was spent out of trading (not TB money, which in the Amex era is on capital projects only) income last Summer on transfer fees when we were a smaller club, had smaller crowds, and NO ONE knew there were going to be lucrative cup games against Sunderland, Liverpool twice and Newcastle; and that merchandising and catering sales were going to be several times than budgeted.

It is all about players coming in. I don't think Holloway (who is first class) could get any more out of CMS, Harley or Dicker.

Gus would know that we urgently need quality. The money must be there, and the Board must have guts about them in the next 9 days to spend on quality.

Any thing less than 6th and a better goal scoring record than last season would be a relative failure, would severely knock the impetus of the club. The Board have the opportunity now to keep that momentum going.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Is it possible its not the fans GP needs to worry about, its TB in case he has already lost quite a lot of faith in GP. Certainly would partially explain why no major signings or signings that are a statement of intent when the league is stronger and our rivals are buying better players to have a challenge? If you invest £100 million and you are a gambler, then you are either want to be entertained for vanity reasons or you want a return on that punt at some point (or both). I don't for one second think TB wasn't 'hoping' for a possible promotion last season, helped by the boost of new stadium, and for this year, is expecting rather than hoping that to happen. He's not so rich he can spend money and see a very modest return over many years - premiership achieved and he sees a very quick return via TV money as well as getting his home club where he wants it, in the top division and with a stadium for life - his legacy to this city and club is done. If 10 games pass and there is not an obvious sign of an actual serious challenge taking place this year, or a style that will work in this league with players we have, I think the idea GP stays and is safe until he decides to leave will come under some pretty close scrutiny from above....
I think you may have hit the nail on the head there.

But I'm also of the opinion, that if Gus doesn't get a win let alone a goal in the next couple of games, then Bloom will start asking questions, way before the supporters do. Not saying Bloom will fire him any time soon if things don't pick up, but I don't see Poyet being here for the next transfer window, if we are not in with a serious chance of the play offs by then. We were in with a shout of the play offs last season, that has to be repeated, otherwise to use Poyets own press clippings, we are no longer moving forward. And he has said, he's only here all the time we are moving forward.

However, I'm hoping we spank Barnsley on saturday and doom and gloom is lifted.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield

Good post.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Great post....Last ten league games, Wins=0, Draws=6, Lost=4, Gd=-9 Pts=6....That's not just the two games this season, that is the last ten games. That form will see us finish 24th and down by Easter. Now I don't think that is going to happen and for what it's worth I am quite encouraged by the way we have started.

Poyet needs to deliver and without a striker, i'm not sure even he thinks he can...And I don't buy this we cant afford anyone bullshit either. They are not staying away because of lack of funds anyone with working eyes can work that one out.
That's the main thing that has surprised me on here, is the amount of people completely burying their heads in the sand about our end of season form. Had we got off to a good start this season, yer great forget about it, but we haven't. A lot of people are also saying its only two games this season, and seem to have even discounted the 3-0 defeat at Swindon. I saw enough last night to suggest it will come good, but then I also saw the same old Poyet making strange decisions (a 20% fit Vicente up front for the last 8 minutes and dropping your striker back into midfield?!?!) that only he can understand.

God, I hope we batter Barnsley on Saturday. If we cant beat one of the worst teams I the division, then we may have a problem. I'm going for a 3-0 win!!!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
How interesting that we have already lost sight of the risks of driving straight back into a financial mire - "the Board have to buy - they have to take the opportunity now" - we don't learn either by our own experience or that of others.

Sad really but I'm sure that view will ultimately drive Poyet away and maybe even Bloom one day. Not over-reacting at all but "fans'" expectations are sometimes beyond my understanding

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Jesus, two games! Two f***ing games and you are already into Gus. The transfer window isn't shut, we've outplayed two teams who will be there or thereabouts, our best player isn't fit just yet, we've addressed most of our weaknesses from last season and you want one of the most talented young managers in the country out?

Proper proper mugs...

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
How interesting that we have already lost sight of the risks of driving straight back into a financial mire - "the Board have to buy - they have to take the opportunity now" - we don't learn either by our own experience or that of others.

Sad really but I'm sure that view will ultimately drive Poyet away and maybe even Bloom one day. Not over-reacting at all but "fans'" expectations are sometimes beyond my understanding

I don't understand fans that do not realise this club is now premiership in all but status. They even have facilities geared up for European football now as that is what the expectations are in the medium term. We are not set up as a championship club anymore surely everyone can see that. EVERYTHING is set up for premiership football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here