Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Long Before The Fans Turn on Poyet?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I joked as I left the Amex last night that someone would be calling for Gus's head and low and behold it's here.

For me last night was a great advert for the Albion and football in general, two good sides playing attractive football. I for one am happy with that, what is wrong with a top ten finish we are still learning as a team and Gus as a manager.

We all know that we need a player up front with a clinical finish but you can't fault CMS last night he played out of his skin and ok Barnes missed a sitter but I would be more dissappointed if he wasn't getting into goal scoring position.

It will all come good just be patient, enjoy the ride on the Gus Bus it's a marathon not a sprint.

You are surely heading for ban with such a level headed post. I agree with every word, well said!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Agreed that nobody should be turning on gus just yet but I think your misguided in thinking its only "JCL's", as you call them, who think he should be singled out for criticism.

I am sorry if it comes over as only JCL's would be disgruntled, I merely meant it would be understandable that they would be moaning as they may have supported other teams or even that Brighton are a second club.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
10th overrall last season, which let's be honest - was not a full on promotion push. It appeared to be consolidation of our position and establishing a championship team. So far, we've played very well - 1 point is not that bad, our performances on pitch have been superb, but we are missing a striker. Without that acquisition, we're not promotion contenders. But we really do not look like a team to go down, not the same about our friends in Croydon, losing 2-3 and then 4-1 away. We're lucky to have a decent manager, and I want to see Poyet do well, I won't be going against him.

He knows more about football than I do at the end of the day, he has a set ambition and philosophy on the game.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Can't believe you made this thread, were you at the game last night?

We were unlucky against a VERY strong Hull side away and drew at home with a very strong Cardiff side where both keepers were outstanding. Both teams are pushing for promotion. If we get 3 points on Saturday against Barnsley then I say that is a good start to the season.
Edit: We were all taking the absolute piss out of Palace with their "dougie out" threads. THIS is embarrassing.

Absolutely this. You HAVE to take into account your opponents. Even though Palace have only 1 point less than us, I'd be ten times more worried if we had their start, due to the quality of sides played compared to Hull and Cardiff, two very strong Championship sides.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Doom merchants make me want to vomit.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Is it possible its not the fans GP needs to worry about, its TB in case he has already lost quite a lot of faith in GP. Certainly would partially explain why no major signings or signings that are a statement of intent when the league is stronger and our rivals are buying better players to have a challenge? If you invest £100 million and you are a gambler, then you are either want to be entertained for vanity reasons or you want a return on that punt at some point (or both). I don't for one second think TB wasn't 'hoping' for a possible promotion last season, helped by the boost of new stadium, and for this year, is expecting rather than hoping that to happen. He's not so rich he can spend money and see a very modest return over many years - premiership achieved and he sees a very quick return via TV money as well as getting his home club where he wants it, in the top division and with a stadium for life - his legacy to this city and club is done. If 10 games pass and there is not an obvious sign of an actual serious challenge taking place this year, or a style that will work in this league with players we have, I think the idea GP stays and is safe until he decides to leave will come under some pretty close scrutiny from above....

T.B has every every faith in G.P
A steward who i know very well over heard Bloom talking to Charlie Oatway last night saying a striker will be in place by the end of the month.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I joked as I left the Amex last night that someone would be calling for Gus's head and low and behold it's here.

For me last night was a great advert for the Albion and football in general, two good sides playing attractive football. I for one am happy with that, what is wrong with a top ten finish we are still learning as a team and Gus as a manager.

We all know that we need a player up front with a clinical finish but you can't fault CMS last night he played out of his skin and ok Barnes missed a sitter but I would be more dissappointed if he wasn't getting into goal scoring position.

It will all come good just be patient, enjoy the ride on the Gus Bus it's a marathon not a sprint.

Amen.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It is a brave new World now and failure is not an option. We do not have the luxury of fannying around mid table or the arse end of the championship. Bloom has invested £ 105 000 000 in the club. Do you think he did this to see us as " an also ran ".

He is patient, we saw that with Slade, but he has an agenda for the club and that is far higher than the majority of BHAFC fans it would seem, certainly people on nsc. Long term fans of the club have got used to us being a small club and people still have this " small club " mentality, ever grateful for us not being in the 3rd or 4th division, over lavish praise for the team and manager, accepting of almost anything. RAISE THE BAR. Every single thing at the Amex , the club, the marketing, the merchandise is premiership. The only thing that is not is the team, not by a long way. The team needs to catch up and quickly, 3 years to go up tops, ideally, maybe 4-5 but Bloom would not be happy with that.

The facts are 3 games and 0 goals, 1 point in 6 and 21st is a CRAP start to the season. You start to give the strong teams a head start and that gets ever harder to catch up. Poyet does not have forever to get this team right.

If anyone thinks lower than 10th is acceptable this season they are following the wrong club. 10th is unacceptable, a play off place at the very least is the objective and if that fails promotion next season.

That is the script, keep up at the back please.

You don't build a premiership team in two seasons - even 3 or 4 ( just ask Cardiff who have got within touching distance a number of times ). I'd rather a slow plod towards the promised land while keeping costs under control that do it in 2 or 3 seasons and become another Pompey. Seriously, we're two league games into the second season where the infrastructure required has been in place. Patience is the key and anything above half way will be a good achievement.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Have to agree... I was going to post last night but couldnt be arsed to get flamed, but I thought we looked like a team who won't win many games this season.

Oh and I'm usually one of the more positive posters on here...

I wonder what Reading fans were saying this time last year. They were well of the pace after 10 games. Where did they finish?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We've played two league matches. Get a grip. I doubt we'll have many harder home games than last night as Cardiff are a quality outfit and we looked just as good as them. Plus, Hull is a tough first game. One point is all we got out of those last season and it's no disgrace to get that again. Anybody drawing any conclusions about players or Gus is mental at this stage.

Well said.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
You don't build a premiership team in two seasons - even 3 or 4 ( just ask Cardiff who have got within touching distance a number of times ). I'd rather a slow plod towards the promised land while keeping costs under control that do it in 2 or 3 seasons and become another Pompey. Seriously, we're two league games into the second season where the infrastructure required has been in place. Patience is the key and anything above half way will be a good achievement.

So this, if we went up I really couldn't see us staying up we would need a new team and prem players are not cheap we would be looking at 5mill plus a player.

People say how it's great that where a well run club financially seems people need to realise that to be that we can't spend over the odds on players, I am please how where being run and I would take top 10 again all day long

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Depend's on what set of fans We are talking about

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
At this point in time Gus is bulletproof as far as I'm concerned.

Last night I watched a great game of football between two good teams who will both be there or thereabouts at the end of the season. That is enough for me, I'm not sure what some people are expecting :shrug:

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
We need a striker, we know that, and there's a good chance (allegedly...) that we'll get him in the next 9 days.

Reading needed a striker last season, they got him in January and won the league - having lost FOUR consecutive games in August/September, including at Portsmouth and at home to Barnsley and Watford.

We've conceded 1 goal in 2 games (one seventh as many as Palace :lolol: ), and no-one can say we've been lucky to draw/lose by one goal - indeed we've been unlucky to only have one point.

All is good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here