Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How do you feel when weve lost?

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Usually pi@@ed off on the day/evening, a plethora of NSCs posts lances the boil, then okay the next day.

Probably a longer hangover when it's the clubs I can't stand - the London clubs, Manure. Also annoyed for longer when I see manager/player blunders, on repeat in a game, gifting the points ....... AEK, West Ham. A painful watch almost in slow motion ..... raising questions in real time ..... why've we only got two in CM when they're bossing us with three, why's a fit Veltman not playing?
About this for me - helps having different interests and kids so weekends aren't all about the football as in younger years.

Lose - pretend it didn't happen and get on with life bar looking at reaction on here and a few posts perhaps
Win - soak it up for the weekend watching highlights/listening to the phone ins, reading reaction on here etc where possible
Draw - depends on if it feels like a win-draw, lose-draw or just plain draw 😏

Last edited:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
It really does depend

I just laughed when the 6th went in at Villa away. Stayed till the bitter end, clapped the players off and thought no more about it when I walked out the stadium..

I was fuckin livid after that shitshow at Spurs last year. 2 perfectly good goals disallowed, 1 blatant pen not given, a sending off ignored. I only got over that when we qualified for Europe and I still think Atwell is a wanker.

Last edited:

Can't stand us losing any game but, depending on how we lose makes it bearable. Villa's annihilation of us was as bad as it gets simply because I live near them! Any game we lose to Palace pisses me off too. The manner of performance comes into it. Losing narrowly at the Champions, although upset, wasn't so bad.
These days, since a certain Italian walked through the door, the losses seem to soon be forgotten as we turn up generally at next game with a super show🤞

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Angry, inconsolable, shit the bed, sulk. Better now than when I was younger where I should have been in an asylum for a few days after.
I'm lucky. I get angry when we are cheated (*cough* Spurs *cough*) but otherwise it is what it is.

Mind you, after going up to Shitehole park when "Andy - JOHNSON" was among the scorers, I didn't speak for two days. :lolol:

The question I'd put to you is how great is your euphoria after we win? Are your joys as strong as your pains? If so, then you may as well lump it. Swings and roundabouts. If not, you might think about training yourself. We all have free will, and we can all tell ourselves to move on.

In moments of reflection I remind myself that when I was a teenager I thought that the overwrought antics of some supporters was absurd. I had to train myself to surrender to the moment, and succeeded only when I hit my 40s, 25 years ago. I then found all the shouting and singing terrific fun, especially after a couple of pints.

But it has always been panto to me. Only the Archer years, Gillingham and the slow rise to where we are now, has put proper emotion into my football. And the prevailing emotion is pride. It is a part of me, now, part of my identity. How can I possibly let the odd defeat take the shine off the pride?

Oh, and if I sound like I was a cold fish as a youngster, I went from heavy rock to punk, going bat shit mental, dressing up, taking risks, all sorts. But not at the football. Perhaps had I grown up with the Albion a proper successful club with a big stadium and the respect and admiration of followers of other top sides, it might have all been different.

But it is hard to have watched us draw 0-0 against Halifax under the Goldstone floodlights and, later, get ripped a new one, 0-4 by Darlington in front of 2,000 in Gillingham, and not develop a thick skin when it comes to defeats. After being the second worst side in the country, unable to string 3 passes together, it's difficult to get too worked up over a 1-2 defeat away to the best team in the world, treble winners. A threat of relegation at some point might affect my mood, but these days? It's all gravy, surely?

Tell yourself that at the end of the day, it is all bollocks, and what matters is your family, your friends and your health :thumbsup:

(Oh and any time you need to emote, PM me).

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
It really does depend

I just laughed when the 6th went in at Villa away. Stayed till the bitter end, clapped the players off and thought no more about it when I walked out the stadium..

I was fuckin livid after that shitshow at Spurs last year. 2 perfectly good goals disallowed, 1 blatant pen not given, a sending off ignored. I only got over that when we qualified for Europe and is still think Atwell is a wanker.
As said a few posts above, I rarely get too annoyed by a result nowadays, but christ that spurs game put me in a one-off foul mood for days every time I thought about it. Such a crucial game in our chase for Europe, which I was so desperate for us to achieve considering the PL is brutal and you never know what the next season will bring (for clubs our size at least).

On the flipside, the 98th min winner v united put me in an unusually elated football-related mood for days considering the magnitude of a win over a draw, how it happened, and the fact it made up for the wembley loss... until being brought firmly back down to earth by Everton the Monday after 😮

rebel51

Jan 4, 2021
West sussex
I'm lucky. I get angry when we are cheated (*cough* Spurs *cough*) but otherwise it is what it is.

Mind you, after going up to Shitehole park when "Andy - JOHNSON" was among the scorers, I didn't speak for two days. :lolol:

The question I'd put to you is how great is your euphoria after we win? Are your joys as strong as your pains? If so, then you may as well lump it. Swings and roundabouts. If not, you might think about training yourself. We all have free will, and we can all tell ourselves to move on.

In moments of reflection I remind myself that when I was a teenager I thought that the overwrought antics of some supporters was absurd. I had to train myself to surrender to the moment, and succeeded only when I hit my 40s, 25 years ago. I then found all the shouting and singing terrific fun, especially after a couple of pints.

But it has always been panto to me. Only the Archer years, Gillingham and the slow rise to where we are now, has put proper emotion into my football. And the prevailing emotion is pride. It is a part of me, now, part of my identity. How can I possibly let the odd defeat take the shine off the pride?

Oh, and if I sound like I was a cold fish as a youngster, I went from heavy rock to punk, going bat shit mental, dressing up, taking risks, all sorts. But not at the football. Perhaps had I grown up with the Albion a proper successful club with a big stadium and the respect and admiration of followers of other top sides, it might have all been different.

But it is hard to have watched us draw 0-0 against Halifax under the Goldstone floodlights and, later, get ripped a new one, 0-4 by Darlington in front of 2,000 in Gillingham, and not develop a thick skin when it comes to defeats. After being the second worst side in the country, unable to string 3 passes together, it's difficult to get too worked up over a 1-2 defeat away to the best team in the world, treble winners. A threat of relegation at some point might affect my mood, but these days? It's all gravy, surely?

Tell yourself that at the end of the day, it is all bollocks, and what matters is your family, your friends and your health :thumbsup:

Cracking post.Good health to you.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I get a bit grumpy, but I try and take positives where I can. Depending on the circumstances of the loss, I can be pretty much over it by the following day. I'm getting better at accepting a loss as I get older (I think).

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
It depends of where the club is in relation to the league it's in for me. For example since premotion to the PL the first 3 years or so was just about finishing above 3 other teams for the ultimate victory of staying up, so losing was happening quite a lot then, and a 2-0 loss away from home to a top 6 club was actually quite good that I wasn't even disappointed. Of course now the targets are different, so I will be hugely dissapointed not to beat Fulham on Sunday.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Human nature, our individual quirks. I went the other way, from primary school age enthralled by the Goldstone NS terrace surges, mass swearing, chants, (legal) aggression. I’m convinced it’s the reason I ended up being the only swearer in a large family. I carried on that noise/passion at home watching football, I’ve scared gens of relatives and cats as goals are scored. But at games I’ve become quiet, studious of the actual play, I sit, unless Goofy Fernandes, Zaha or a corrupt ref needs the full throttle aggressive treatment. But I love celebrating goals.

…. or so I thought, in sorties to WSL (the AEK game) or the NE corner (early Hughton days), I stood out as the lone standing, shouty fan, who got on grandads nerves.

It’s all relative.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Indifferent given this is probably the best football I have ever seen from BHAFC having supported them for around 45 years

Yeah? Wot?
What do you mean Yeah? Wot?

Those who have supported the club a while bar a brief spell in the old change Premier League (Division 1) have never seen anything like this ever with regards to quality and success.

It is simply amazing therefore my view is the longer we stay where we are the better.

The improvement from earlier Premier League seasons when the hope was there was always three shittier teams is beyond comprehension simply stunning, absolutely amazing. We are now a very much admired club who are doing the right thing by developing talent as opposed to just shelling out millions which a lot of Premier League teams do to achieve nothing.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I’ve nicked your text because it’s me word for word inc the 45 years

The yeah? Wot? Is what are you (or anyone else) gonna do about my act of blatant plagiarism!
Got ya, appreciate your honesty

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Deflated for an hour or so and then ok again, unless we were robbed by VAR, that takes an hour of fuming and then deflation.

rebel51

Jan 4, 2021
West sussex
Luckily I go by organised coach now, but if I was standing in a queue for ages in the pissing rain after we have lost like the aek game I think I would lose the plot, and that's putting it mildly. Maybe I should go and watch tiddlywinks instead.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
depends on the context. Can be dreadful - or sometimes I can just shrug it off. It's really bad if
1) We've played Palace
2) We've played badly
3) We've been wronged in some way

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
I can’t seem to gauge it in comparison to losing in previous years. I’m instantly resigned to losing when it happens - just like so many battle hardened Albion fans on here seen it all before 🙄 but in some ways it’s much more frustrating because this is the best we’ve ever been (maybe last season more than the start of this) and it feels like a surprise in some ways

I think that for me when the goals against us go in the anger/frustration in that moment is worse than the final whistle when we’ve lost

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Usually pi@@ed off on the day/evening, a plethora of NSCs posts lances the boil, then okay the next day.

Probably a longer hangover when it's the clubs I can't stand - the London clubs, Manure. Also annoyed for longer when I see manager/player blunders, on repeat in a game, gifting the points ....... AEK, West Ham. A painful watch almost in slow motion ..... raising questions in real time ..... why've we only got two in CM when they're bossing us with three, why's a fit Veltman not playing?
Not the NSC bit, it’s shit after we lose - the board always seems full of angry people/know-alls looking for scapegoats - slagging off players, management, recruitment staff, ‘I said all along we needed a new RB‘ etc etc etc, criticising the selection and tactics (always easy with hindsight), giving players a 2 on the rating thread……and then the moans about literally anything else are amplified (pies, trains, queues, stewards, fans, songs, flags blah blah blah).

Enjoy when we win, never too down if we lose, because it’s going to happen frequently :shrug: Just enjoying the ride.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not the NSC bit, it’s shit after we lose - the board always seems full of angry people/know-alls looking for scapegoats - slagging off players, management, recruitment staff, ‘I said all along we needed a new RB‘ etc etc etc, criticising the selection and tactics (always easy with hindsight), giving players a 2 on the rating thread……and then the moans about literally anything else are amplified (pies, trains, queues, stewards, fans, songs, flags blah blah blah).

Enjoy when we win, never too down if we lose, because it’s going to happen frequently :shrug: Just enjoying the ride.

That actually cheers me up each time :lolol: . Plus out of a big fanbase, the complainants are just a few voices .... I'll use my Solly example again .... when he misses a couple of chances there are few noisy NSC'ers who would have you believe he's a despised League One standard plodder. Then at the next Amex game he's adored warmly by the masses.

Last edited:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
That actually cheers me up each time :lolol: . Plus out of a big fanbase, the complainants are just a few voices .... I'll use my Solly example again .... when he misses a couple of chances there are few noisy NSC'ers who would have you believe he's despised League One standard plodder. Then at the next Amex game he's adored warmly by the masses.
Fickle? Who knew

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here