Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How crucial do you think playing the second leg at home is?

How crucial do you think playing the second leg at home

• Very important it's the edge we need

Votes: 74 59.7%
  • Not important home field advantage doesn't count for much in the play-offs.

Votes: 21 16.9%
  • Does it really matter, we'll win/lose whatever

Votes: 29 23.4%

• Total voters

Dec 29, 2011
Out of curiosity, I thought I would look at the league position of the winners from the last 10 years:

[teams in bold played the semi-final second leg at home]

2003 - Wolverhampton Wanderers (5th in league)
2004 - Chrystal Palace (6th)
2005 - West Ham United (6th)
2006 - Watford (3rd)
2007 - Derby County (3rd)
2008 - Hull City (3rd)

2009 - Burnley (5th)
2010 - Blackpool (6th)
2011 - Swansea City (3rd)
2012 - West Ham United (3rd)

What the above tells us is that a team playing at home in the semi-final second leg, has won exactly half of the last 10 play off finals - therefore there is statistically no advantage in playing at home for the second leg (if you only look at the play off winners, and ignore the losing finalists).

The last team finishing 4th in the league to win the play-offs was Charlton Athletic, in 1998.

Ever think the teams in third won because they're the best side, hence finishing highest? It's just coincidence they played their second leg at home.

NorthStandN1A

Aug 1, 2011
Hove
I would prefer 1st leg at home - just look at Bayern last night - tie is basically over (Barca at home are different gravy but 4-0 down is too much for them vs Bayern M)

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Ever think the teams in third won because they're the best side, hence finishing highest? It's just coincidence they played their second leg at home.

I agree. I think what would also be worth looking at is 'exit velocity' - i.e. each team's form going into the play-offs and whether the most 'in form' teams did well or not. I have a hunch that a team that finished the season well and just managed to scratch sixth place will do better than a team that had a mediocre end to the season and finished third.

Unfortunately, I would have no idea how to measure this - I'm sure there will be a statto somewhere that could though...

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Playing at home is only good for a 2nd leg if the away goals rule counts - but it doesnt so it doesnt matter.

Id rather have the first leg at home so we can get a decent result - then we go and park the bus in the second leg.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
On the face of it you want the second leg at home.

But, as has been pointed out, a team coming to The Amex with a lead and shutting up shop is not too appealing. We have struggled to open teams up when they have come with that approach.

I guess psychologically it might be better to play away from home first knowing you have the relative safey blanket (as people often see it) of having a home game coming up. Lose the first leg at home and it would be hard to recover.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'd comfortably back us to get a 0-0 away and score at home, which I know is the whole point.
But first leg away, the other team could take their time and not panic, and if they win 1-0 they'll come to us and park the bus, and we find it difficult when they do that. I guess I'd choose to be away first, but I'm not sure it'll make a lot of difference.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
If it's a draw at the end of 180 minutes does it go in to extra time and eventually on to penalties? If so then it feels to me that it would be better for those penalties to be taken at the AmEx so I'd be inclined to say that we'd be better off with first leg away.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Playing at home is only good for a 2nd leg if the away goals rule counts - but it doesnt so it doesnt matter.

Id rather have the first leg at home so we can get a decent result - then we go and park the bus in the second leg.

If it goes to extra time it very much matters.....

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
In what way ?

If it was the Amex then half the ground would be empty for extra time !!!

I hope not!

Of course having an extra half hr to win the tie on your home pitch, in front of your home supporters matters quite a bit...

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
Obviously there's a variety of arguements for and against playing at home 2nd.

Personally, I'd want to play home 2nd game. Whilst I'm confident that we can beat anyone at home, away is a different matter. The other three sides are of a sufficient standard that if they park the bus at our place in the 1st leg and get a 0-0; they'd have enuf about them to turn us over at their place in the 2nd leg.

I'd like Bolton at the reebok 1st, with a draw or defeat by a goal. I'd be confident enuf of overturning either of those 2 in the 2nd leg, possibly to include extra time.

Out of curiosity, I thought I would look at the league position of the winners from the last 10 years:

[teams in bold played the semi-final second leg at home]

2003 - Wolverhampton Wanderers (5th in league)
2004 - Chrystal Palace (6th)
2005 - West Ham United (6th)
2006 - Watford (3rd)
2007 - Derby County (3rd)
2008 - Hull City (3rd)

2009 - Burnley (5th)
2010 - Blackpool (6th)
2011 - Swansea City (3rd)
2012 - West Ham United (3rd)

What the above tells us is that a team playing at home in the semi-final second leg, has won exactly half of the last 10 play off finals - therefore there is statistically no advantage in playing at home for the second leg (if you only look at the play off winners, and ignore the losing finalists).

The last team finishing 4th in the league to win the play-offs was Charlton Athletic, in 1998.
What that table tells me is that teams with a name beginning with W have the best chance of winning the final.

Or, alternatively, it's all meaningless superstition.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
given our form this season, away-home would be the preference. look at the games away and we've won 7 drawn 9 lost only 6 for 25 conceded. it suits us to go away where the home team is expected to play more open. however the risk is a 0-0 then they come to the Amex with a plan to park the bus and nick a goal.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I would say so... hypothetically Palace v Brighton on penalties for a spot in the final - what would you prefer - against the North Stand at the Amex, or the Holmesdale at Smellhurst??

I think we had 100% record in penalty shoot outs at Withdean... Man City, FC United and of course Swindon spring to mind.

All things considered I'm not really seeing this something worthy of much consideration. Players score and miss penalties at home and away and I'm not convinced geography matters significantly.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Pound to be piece of pooh :shrug: they'd have the penalties in front of the South Stand, and their fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here