Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How crucial do you think playing the second leg at home is?

How crucial do you think playing the second leg at home

• Very important it's the edge we need

Votes: 74 59.7%
  • Not important home field advantage doesn't count for much in the play-offs.

Votes: 21 16.9%
  • Does it really matter, we'll win/lose whatever

Votes: 29 23.4%

• Total voters

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Therefore over the last ten play offs, 11 or the 20 finalists played the second leg of the semi at home.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Personally I'd like the 2nd leg at home purely so I can either go straight into town on an almighty BENDER to celebrate getting to Wembley. Or go home to commence my grief counselling programme from beneath the duvet for the next 3 days.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
It looks pretty inconclusive as to whether or not it is an advantage.

So [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION]'s 'I want a MASSIVE BENDER in Brighton' argument seems to me to be the most logical reason for wanting a home 2nd leg.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
IF, and that's a massive if (for those up the road), we limp over the line and into the play offs how important do you think the home/away leg is, to us.

I don't know what the breakdown of past results is, I sure WikiAcker will know, but I've convinced myself it's really important to us being home for the second leg.

I'd comfortably back us to get a 0-0 away and score at home, which I know is the whole point.
But it seems all the more pressing for us, this season, with our form/pitch/stadium.

What makes you think we'd "limp" over the line? We are CONFIDENTLY STRIDING.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What makes you think we'd "limp" over the line? We are CONFIDENTLY STRIDING.

come on Mello that's clearly for the benefit of our friends up the road.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This is a very good point. Remember the stats folks - we've not once lost after scoring first, but not won once after conceding first. Can the semi-final tie overall, be treated as one long 'match' in that context? If it can, then we would logically want to play at home first, and secure a lead to protect.

If we win against Leeds, perhaps we should INTENTIONALLY go behind in the Wolves game so we can lay this ghost to rest before the playoffs...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm not convinced either way to be honest. If someone can provide significant evidence one way or the other I will change my view otherwise I will not worry about it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The way I see it, it's only important if the fixture reaches penalties - which is fairly likely as the away goals rule isn't applied.

Why? Is it really advantagous to take a home penalty?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Personally I'd like the 2nd leg at home purely so I can either go straight into town on an almighty BENDER to celebrate getting to Wembley. Or go home to commence my grief counselling programme from beneath the duvet for the next 3 days.

Exactly this! If we make the playoffs I will be getting sloshed.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
Don't think it makes a difference tbh, would like to be home second leg so I'll definitely be there when we get to final though

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I would say so... hypothetically Palace v Brighton on penalties for a spot in the final - what would you prefer - against the North Stand at the Amex, or the Holmesdale at Smellhurst??

I think we had 100% record in penalty shoot outs at Withdean... Man City, FC United and of course Swindon spring to mind.

Not sure how the FC United shoot out comes to mind. You must have dreamt it!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not sure how the FC United shoot out comes to mind. You must have dreamt it!

No, not a shootout. Didn't Benno miss a last minute pen against them though ? Meaning we had to trail up to BURY for the replay.

Yes. Yes I think thats right.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Was it Woking? One of those (evidently!) forgettable FA Cup games against some minnows was concluded by a penalty shoot out

Woking was pens. Was away though.

No, not a shootout. Didn't Benno miss a last minute pen against them though ? Meaning we had to trail up to BURY for the replay.

Yes. Yes I think thats right.

Correct.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We had a shootout against SOMEONE where Baz scored a disgusting dink.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here