Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How could we get Odsonne Édouard?

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Name me the last good striker to be signed from the SPL and score goals in this league, the only striker I can remember leaving the Scottish league and doing it at the top level in any league over the last 10 years is Dembélé.

Kris Boyd is the highest scorer in the SPL in the last 20 years with over 220 goals :lolol:

Teemu Pukki started brightly, may have done better in season 2.

11 in 36, better return than Maupay

Last edited:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Name me the last good striker to be signed from the SPL and score goals in this league, the only striker I can remember leaving the Scottish league and doing it at the top level in any league over the last 10 years is Dembélé.

Kris Boyd is the highest scorer in the SPL in the last 20 years with over 220 goals :lolol:

Henrik Larson, one of the finest strikers of his generation. Am sure @%1; will attest to that. If I recall he played in most top leagues. Went to Man Utd towards the end of his career.

Look, you could be right about Eduardo.. whoever we get there will be an element or risk. We’re not Liverpool or Man City, we have to take calculated risks.

But there’s a shed ton of top clubs that have been sniffing around Eduardo for some time now, the guy clearly has something about him. It would a risk worth taking.

Business wise. He would have decent resale value, and if goes well it could be a profit in a couple of seasons if a bigger club comes sniffing around.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
You’re ok with the Spanish 2nd division though which is not exactly known for it’s strength and quality?

Cracks me up the way people on here write off players based on You Tube vids and Wiki profiles.

Why do you think some of his goals look simple? Look at the intelligent runs he makes to get into position and space before the simple tap in, that will show you a lot more about the players ability.

Both look good, young, promsing and realistic financially. My preference is Edouard but happy with either.

Segunda B is a higher level than the SPL, generally akin to our Championship. Who mentioned wiki? Yes you can form an opinion by watching all available vids, comparing that with the level of the league and before forming your own personal opinion.... beats following the herd.
Dig it out, if you can be arsed, but I said at the time few years ago, I thought Locadia looked meh in his vid reels, in a similar exercise and he was. Doesnt mean anything, could of been luck, but I personally didnt think he looked great.

If the club buys Edouard, Watkins or anyone else, ofc you'll get behind them and hope for the best. Its the scouts with Blooms money not mine.

But its not black and white is it, more many shades of grey. Edouard makes some good runs, also seen him make some not so good ones and scuff a few, with an open mind, in a good few of the goals he scored he was afforded way more time than he'd get in the PL and a lot of the defending was pony. could he raise it in the PL, yes of course he could, The next Thierry Henry or the next Locadia? its difficult to know.
We always hope for the best, I never personally said he's crap I just thought the he's the bigger gamble imho, as the SPL is shockinly poor. He is playing for the best team with the best players, providing him with the best service in the league and playing against garbage defenses.

Could very well be the case that Edouard would perform better than Nunez?, we'll never know, but my personal instinct (and we all have our own opinions) is Nunez looks the better player.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Before I bother to think about that, can you name us the strikers that have come from the Scottish league to the premier league in the last 10 years? As not sure there’s been thar many, which devalues your point a tad... Celtic have been almost the only club who would have had prem league level strikers in the last 6-7 years - Dembele is about the only one I can remember moving to a better league and you’ve said he did well - who else has? Genuine question...?

It’s always a risk but this guy looks really good and is attracting a lot of interest from the likes of Arsenal etc...

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Doesnt have to be the PL, but any top league, of top of head....... obvs Henrick Larsson went to Barcelona, Mark Viduka was Celtic to Leeds in the PL a few years ago, its not impossible. Its just hard to know.

could Ivan Toney go now into a PL first team? He's banging them in against L1 defences. Maybe he could?, but its a Similar conundrum and a pretty big gamble of a decent amount of wedge

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
A few years ago.. twenty to be exact.

Lots of great strikers played in the SPL 15-25 years ago. Larsson, Viduka, van Hooijdonk, Mols, Prso.. even Hartson & Sutton would have been fine PL players during their peak. Now? Very sceptical about anything coming from there, including Edouard (though I might be wrong about him

Its just really hard to tell. Present day Celtic would probably not survive in the Championship. They are a League One side playing against League Two teams. Astonishing how they have become so useless despite their massive matchday income and making good money in the CL some years ago. They have ****ed up completely, getting knocked out of CL by teams like Malmö, Köpenhamn and this Hungarian team.. pathetic.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Before I bother to think about that, can you name us the strikers that have come from the Scottish league to the premier league in the last 10 years? As not sure there’s been thar many, which devalues your point a tad... Celtic have been almost the only club who would have had prem league level strikers in the last 6-7 years - Dembele is about the only one I can remember moving to a better league and you’ve said he did well - who else has? Genuine question...?

It’s always a risk but this guy looks really good and is attracting a lot of interest from the likes of Arsenal etc...

I actually think your right

I think the perception comes from players going the other way who are crap at PL or championship standard and scoring bucketloads so the assumption is anyone can score goals at that level.

He could step up... who knows ? I think what worries most is the huge fee that is being discussed for someone who has only got goals at that level.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Ok, i'm a Scot, living in Spain, i'm not going to say i have watched loads of the Spanish 2nd tier, i haven't, but i have watched a lot of the SPL.
I tend to agree with everything [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] said above the standard is dire, thats not to say there aren't any good players up there, there are (Goldson, Murphy, Balogun) but it is like taking a punt on a good striker at Barnsley for example and we've tried that before.

Edouard may be an exception, he may be as good after a few years as Van Dyke in which case, yes, it would be a brilliant signing, he could be a £100m player in no time. But would you gamble upwards of £30m to find out?

From the little i've seen of the Spanish 2nd division, i'd say its a far better standard but yes there is some dross there too, just far less of it spread amongst a greater number of teams. Nuñez at 21, already capped by his country and playing at a better standard seems a far lower risk to me, it would also appear he is cheaper too, no brainer surely.

I just hope the reports that we have pulled out are false, or that we have done so to stop Almeria from upping the price again, seemed to be going up every time a new club showed interest.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Ok, i'm a Scot, living in Spain, i'm not going to say i have watched loads of the Spanish 2nd tier, i haven't, but i have watched a lot of the SPL.
I tend to agree with everything [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] said above the standard is dire, thats not to say there aren't any good players up there, there are (Goldson, Murphy, Balogun) but it is like taking a punt on a good striker at Barnsley for example and we've tried that before.

Edouard may be an exception, he may be as good after a few years as Van Dyke in which case, yes, it would be a brilliant signing, he could be a £100m player in no time. But would you gamble upwards of £30m to find out?

From the little i've seen of the Spanish 2nd division, i'd say its a far better standard but yes there is some dross there too, just far less of it spread amongst a greater number of teams. Nuñez at 21, already capped by his country and playing at a better standard seems a far lower risk to me, it would also appear he is cheaper too, no brainer surely.

I just hope the reports that we have pulled out are false, or that we have done so to stop Almeria from upping the price again, seemed to be going up every time a new club showed interest.
To be fair Edouard is hardly going to be capped for France with the talent in front of him.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
To be fair Edouard is hardly going to be capped for France with the talent in front of him.

No that is fair, until he plays at a higher level he can't prove himself either, but by that reasoning Maupay is ahead of him and i actually think Connolly will be outstanding, i understand we need something different to those two but i wouldn't pay over £30m for something different, that might not be good enough anyway.

Is Ivan Toney a big lad? How much are Peterboro asking?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Fair comment, for sure it is a risk. The SPL is undoubtedly at the lowest ebb it’s been for a while.

But we are a club that has to calculated risks.

Personally I would like Nunez AND Eduardo. We’ve never replaced Andone. And Murray, legend that he is, should be coaching really.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'd be very happy with either Nunez or Edouard...both would be incredible, but I really can't see us buying two strikers unless the intention is that Connolly or Murray go on loan or something.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Fair comment, for sure it is a risk. The SPL is undoubtedly at the lowest ebb it’s been for a while.

But we are a club that has to calculated risks.

Personally I would like Nunez AND Eduardo. We’ve never replaced Andone. And Murray, legend that he is, should be coaching really.

That's just greedy :lolol:
I wouldn't say no to that either but its not my money.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I'd be very happy with either Nunez or Edouard...both would be incredible, but I really can't see us buying two strikers unless the intention is that Connolly or Murray go on loan or something.

How much is Murray going to play though?
I mean, he won't let us down but I really can't see him having much impact and I'm pretty sure he's been given a contract because of his impact off the pitch and potential coaching. Really we have two strikers and one is still very inexperienced.
I think we have other priorities (over signing a second striker) but you would understand if we signed two strikers. I'd certainly swap Ali J and Izzy for two strikers.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Murray has already said he knows he will be infrequent this season during a TS interview.

Imagine he is settled, good to have around for the youngsters and still an option if needed.

The fact he’s recently incorporated a media limited company tells me he has accepted the transition and is happy with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
How much is Murray going to play though?
I mean, he won't let us down but I really can't see him having much impact and I'm pretty sure he's been given a contract because of his impact off the pitch and potential coaching. Really we have two strikers and one is still very inexperienced.
I think we have other priorities (over signing a second striker) but you would understand if we signed two strikers. I'd certainly swap Ali J and Izzy for two strikers.
He may not play much, but he will be in the squad assuming he's here - I would be very surprised if we named 5 out-and-out strikers (Maupay, Connolly, Murray, Nunez and Edouard in this scenario) in a 25 man squad.

You'd also have the dilemma of keeping them all happy, assuming we play two up front (not always a given), with perhaps one striker on the bench as we're back to seven subs, that means two of the aforesaid five missing out for each game.

We're not going to spend the kind of money it would need to get Nunez and/or Edouard only to leave them out, and I can't see us leaving Maupay out regularly either. Murray is fine as a back-up and might not expect to play much, but not playing won't do Connolly's development (in which we've already invested) any good.

Bottom line, I think if we sign two strikers, one of Connolly or Murray will go out somewhere.

Last edited:

albionite

May 20, 2009
He may not play much, but he will be in the squad assuming he's here - I would be very surprised if we named 5 out-and-out strikers (Maupay, Connolly, Murray, Nunez and Edouard in this scenario) in a 25 man squad.

You'd also have the dilemma of keeping them all happy, assuming we play two up front (not always a given), with perhaps one striker on the bench as we're back to seven subs, that means two of the aforesaid five missing out for each game.

We're not going to spend the kind of money it would need to get Nunez and/or Edouard only to leave them out, and I can't see us leaving Maupay out regularly either. Murray is fine as a back-up and might not expect to play much, but not playing won't do Connolly's development (in which we've already invested) any good.

Bottom line, I think if we sign two strikers, one of Connolly or Murray will go out somewhere.

Didn't we have 5 strikers at the start of last season maupay, Murray, locadia, andone, and Connolly (ok he may of been pushed in from youth team early).

I don't for one moment think we will get these two due to cost. Just wishful thinking that we could get both.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
No that is fair, until he plays at a higher level he can't prove himself either, but by that reasoning Maupay is ahead of him and i actually think Connolly will be outstanding, i understand we need something different to those two but i wouldn't pay over £30m for something different, that might not be good enough anyway.

Is Ivan Toney a big lad? How much are Peterboro asking?
Never PL quality if we signed Toney I would question the ambition.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Murray has already said he knows he will be infrequent this season during a TS interview.

Imagine he is settled, good to have around for the youngsters and still an option if needed.

The fact he’s recently incorporated a media limited company tells me he has accepted the transition and is happy with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In a squad of 25 there’s a lot to be said for having a 4th choice striker who knows he won’t play much and is happy with that and will do a good job when called upon. Sign two strikers and you’re effectively relegating Connelly to that role, which is less good.
Irrelevant anyway, we’ll struggle to sign one in my opinion!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here