Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How confident are you that we'll sign a QUALITY striker before the window closes

How confident are you that we'll sign a QUALITY striker before the window closes

• Total voters

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I have to say I’m majorly disappointed we’re not in for Brewster. Maybe we were. But he fits the bill and would have been perfect for us I think.

Completely back Tony, Paul, Dan and Graham.. but you do worry as we approach the deadline. If Maupay gets injured or suspended you feel we’re in trouble.. but even if not, I think having another forward option is really important at this level.

I’m staggered that they let Glenn go without a deal lined up. I assumed they did. Obviously not.

Do what we normally do, break the loan for half a million

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
I love the daily Premier League club round up on Sky Sports News with headlines from each club.

For days now the only line has been "Brighton are seeking a proven striker, but nothing is close".

That's it. And TBH you could have said that about almost any transfer window in the last ten years - our incoming striker success rate has been dire for years - granted Maupay has done ok at Premier level, and the returns of both Murray and Zamora were good business. Ulloa was another that worked well. But goodness we've had some dross too - where on earth is Elvis when you need him ?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
None to very little chance if this is what people consider as "quality". We scored and gained record premier league points and goals for us last season with Connolly and Maupay. So maybe people should stop assuming they will STINK the place out this year. Maupay has the quality to get 10-15 this year and Connolly could get a handful. Another striker would be good to cover injuries though, but it is not a dire as people like to make out.

AND If AJ and Trossard pop iup with 5 & 10 respectively we're in business. we do need cover though

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
Going with what we have,
And as Jose at Spurs would say when he lost kane through injury, "WE'RE F****D".

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
We will almost certainly get a pretty good loan in even if we don't sign a perm player. We are holding the nerve at the moment but something will definitely materialise. I'm confident we will never have a Jansen situation again or heads would roll.

Just a shame that transfer window close is a few games in this time.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I don't mean a lower League punt or a random foreigner with no track record at a high level.

That’s why I’m backing a sensational move for Hulk. If the deal for Mooy had a hidden clause it’s that Hulk will be our player very soon.

Always thought he’d play for us, a thus it shall be.

The Special K

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
It's been pretty strange this window. It feels like we are the only club in the league who are concerned about the financial impact from covid19.

Villa Wolves Everton Newcastle Sheff Utd. etc.
Have spent Millions keeping the squads strong and fresh.

What have we done. Spent the entire summer apparently negotiating the ben white deal
and loaning out a striker (albeit old) who knows how to head a ball and control it.
Bring In 1 really decent centre back to replace a bloody good one.
And 1 truly experienced top class midfielder, who has long injury history.
oh and the decent player he replaced just ****ed off to china.

So now we have Stephens in when he is out. A like for like replacement there. FFS

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Voted 70% because poll says "Quality" - I think we will be trying everything we can to get someone who will compete/compliment Maupay and Connolly, but we will not break the strategy or the funding parameters we have been set so can't vote 100% . Contingency will be to get someone of, more un-proven quality or ageing PL striker as back up, to cover injuries.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
That’s why I’m backing a sensational move for Hulk. If the deal for Mooy had a hidden clause it’s that Hulk will be our player very soon.

Always thought he’d play for us, a thus it shall be.

The Special K

I'm sure he is eager to cancel his £300k per week contract in Shanghai to get £50k per week in Brighton.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I'm sick and tired of the whole "daddy my classmate got a fancy new video game and you are shit if you cant afford me one" shit so I hope there will be wont be a new striker (but great results anyway).

As a faux fan that doesn't surprise me.

It's nothing of what you suggest at all. It's very simple economics, without goals you go down, without goalscorers you don't score goals.

Having 2 recognised strikers is playing with fire and a recipe for disaster.

As decent potential goal scorers/strikers are bought by clubs already with more than 2, we still have 2, one a kid and one not looking that sharp yet.

Nothing to do with tantrums, everything to do with fans who have been invested in a decades long roller coaster, caring about staying in the massively hard fought for prize of the PL...... All a long long time before you showed up.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Personally I think we're priced out of the market and we're lining up Trossard to play as a central striker. I don't think we'll take a punt as we're burnt from the whole Locadia signing.

I think this summarises our situation perfectly. The market for strikers is grossly inflated, Locadia and to a lesser extent Ali J (jury still out...) have served as expensive warning shots. I think the club is going down the line of trying to get more goals from the existing squad and developing strikers via the U 23's/Development squad as opposed to spaffing dosh up the wall. Which means, if correct, that the next season or two could be tricky but if we emerge unscathed and are still in the PL in 2 years time, we will be that much stronger. Or we'll be back in the Championship.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

It's nothing of what you suggest at all. It's very simple economics, without goals you go down, without goalscorers you don't score goals.

As decent potential goal scorers/strikers are bought by clubs already with more than 2, we still have 2, one a kid and one not looking that sharp yet.

Nothing to do with tantrums, everything to do with fans who have been invested in a decades long roller coaster, caring about staying in the massively hard fought for prize of the PL...... All a long long time before you showed up.

Excellent post and sums it up.

Nobody is suggesting the club are not trying but we have also been here before in windows with strikers and as you rightly point out this time around we are looking lighter for options to than ever. Imagine if Maupay had crocked his ankle against Chelsea we would be pinning our hopes on a kid finding this feet at this level.

In terms of how confident I am prob 50/50 not because of the club but this is a notoriously difficult market to find someone who can make a difference with goals at that level

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Its all a lot of horseshit though. Would it be nice to have another proven striker? Yes.

But having just two recognised strikers plus one unproven (Gyökeres) and one who could play there (Trossard) is not very uncommon. Its actually rare to have three strikers that all produce significant numbers that couldnt be attained with playing some winger out of position.

Take Wolves last year. They had one central striker (Jimenez) and the times they decided to go with two up front, they put winger Jota next to him. No one else made an appearance as CF as far as I know. Tottenham had two (Kane & Son). City had two (Aguero and Jesus).

Its great two have three, or if you play two strikers up front a lot even four, established strikers but if you dont, there is still no reason to stockpile toilet paper and all the other shit panicking doomsday people do.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Define quality......

Personally, 50/50 for me.

Origi would be wonderful.
Welbeck would be alright in terms of our style.
Deeney might be alright as big body to go on as sub.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Define quality......

Personally, 50/50 for me.

Origi would be wonderful.
Welbeck would be alright in terms of our style.
Deeney might be alright as big body to go on as sub.

Music to the clubs ears.

Imagine Premier League football fans being happy with signing Troy Deeney.

With such a low bar set I'm waiting for my call from Mr Barber. :lol:

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
90%

It's no secret to anyone that we need more firepower and I'm doubtful that there just isn't the money available. IF we are that short on funds to strengthen the squad where we really need it, we would have cashed in on Ben White. I'm not saying we didn't do the right thing keeping hold of him, but we would still be covered at CB without him, albeit not with quite the same quality or future potential. That leaves me thinking there are funds available for further strengthening and to me, that means a striker.

GP, DA and TB may think we're fine as we are (unlikely), or we could miss out on the one(s) we want, hence only 90% certain...

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Music to the clubs ears.

Imagine Premier League football fans being happy with signing Troy Deeney.

With such a low bar set I'm waiting for my call from Mr Barber. :lol:

I'd be impressed if you can match his 47 premier league goals in the last 5 seasons...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here