Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Honestly who's shoes would you rather be in, ours or BMouths

• Thread starter Deleted member 22389
  • Start date

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm sorry. I really don't like to be contrary but can we please not go down the path of thinking we have some right or position in football's pecking order by virtue of our having a nice, shiny stadium? Back in the days when we played in a skip we used to get pretty vexed at other teams asserting their superiority because of the size of their ground or fan base. I'd hate to think that we were starting to play that game.

The reason we turn out each week to watch this game is that football is a meritocracy. Bournemouth may have a smaller ground, less season ticket holders and restrictions on how far they can expand at their current site but right now they are playing good stuff, scoring goals and WINNING. That is what it is all about so good luck to them and their fans.

We need to get over ourselves. We are not too big to go down. Big doesn't even enter into it.
Disagree. The only reason they're scoring goals an winning is because they stuck their fingers up at FFP. And they should be severely punished for it.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Their owner has certainly put some serious money into the squad and they've spent that money well. Fair play to them as I think they will make the play-offs this.

You know what, that would be funny and well deserved however what does that say about us ? The board harping on about unfair parachute payments and teams prepared to break FFP then first Palace then Bournemouth show us how it should be done. That indeed would be funny and sickening at the same time....

Sorry just seen they are flaunting FFP, in that case they will crash and burn at some point in the future. I see Bournmouth like I saw Leyton Orient in the 90s always beating us when they shouldn't once we pummelled them 3-0 we could move on and we did.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I've no sour grapes towards Bournemouth, just everytime I look at them I think how are they meeting FFP ?

Clearly they aren't which is the frustrating thing, good luck to them while it lasts as they have had some shit times. However I won't feel the slightest bit sorry for them if and when FFP sanctions are made and they plummit down the league selling their best players.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
I've no sour grapes towards Bournemouth, just everytime I look at them I think how are they meeting FFP ?

Clearly they aren't which is the frustrating thing, good luck to them while it lasts as they have had some shit times. However I won't feel the slightest bit sorry for them if and when FFP sanctions are made and they plummit down the league selling their best players.

They've done exactly what you've done,Grabban went for £3 mill, and they got a huge chunk of Lallana's transfer fee.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Disagree. The only reason they're scoring goals an winning is because they stuck their fingers up at FFP. And they should be severely punished for it.

That is a separate issue and I don't disagree with you. If they have been shown to have breached FFP in due course then they should be punished accordingly (are we so sure that we are in the clear on this yet?).

The main thrust of my post was that our size counts for nothing and that we have no divine right to remain in this division.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'm sorry. I really don't like to be contrary but can we please not go down the path of thinking we have some right or position in football's pecking order by virtue of our having a nice, shiny stadium? Back in the days when we played in a skip we used to get pretty vexed at other teams asserting their superiority because of the size of their ground or fan base. I'd hate to think that we were starting to play that game.

The reason we turn out each week to watch this game is that football is a meritocracy. Bournemouth may have a smaller ground, less season ticket holders and restrictions on how far they can expand at their current site but right now they are playing good stuff, scoring goals and WINNING. That is what it is all about so good luck to them and their fans.

We need to get over ourselves. We are not too big to go down. Big doesn't even enter into it.

Exactly. And on crowd size, as Harry Pearson wrote in his excellent book The Far Corner, claims of superiority over higher-placed clubs based on size of crowds make no sense. All it proves is that you have a greater number of people in your town stupid enough to pay money to watch shite.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
They've done exactly what you've done,Grabban went for £3 mill, and they got a huge chunk of Lallana's transfer fee.

That isn't going to bring their losses under FFP... They spent the Grabban money on Calum Wilson anyway. So the £5m ish they got for Lallana is still going to mean they are going to post £10m losses

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Exactly. And on crowd size, as Harry Pearson wrote in his excellent book The Far Corner, claims of superiority over higher-placed clubs based on size of crowds make no sense. All it proves is that you have a greater number of people in your town stupid enough to pay money to watch shite.

A valid point worth repeating !

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
I think the op is just making a personal assesment of the two clubs and dont think it is meant as a slur to Bournemouth and whether you agree or not it is his opinion and what is wrong with that .
Like many others on here ,and without going down the sack cloth and ashes route I travelled to Gillingham regularly and was ever present at Withdean went on the rallies etc etc blah blah:yawn: and experienced first hand the stuck up superiority of clubs like pompey and bournemouth who laughed at us while our fans just took it ,and this was while they were spending what they didnt have .The fact we have got a shiny new stadium and training ground obviously doesnt make us imune to going down or having a poor team but does make me extremely proud of what we all went through and had to put up with to get it, and I for one would never want to swop our fanatastic fans our historic troubles and our shiny new ground with any team regardless .

D

Deleted member 22389

I think the op is just making a personal assesment of the two clubs and dont think it is meant as a slur to Bournemouth and whether you agree or not it is his opinion and what is wrong with that .
Like many others on here ,and without going down the sack cloth and ashes route I travelled to Gillingham regularly and was ever present at Withdean went on the rallies etc etc blah blah:yawn: and experienced first hand the stuck up superiority of clubs like pompey and bournemouth who laughed at us while our fans just took it ,and this was while they were spending what they didnt have .The fact we have got a shiny new stadium and training ground obviously doesnt make us imune to going down or having a poor team but does make me extremely proud of what we all went through and had to put up with to get it, and I for one would never want to swop our fanatastic fans our historic troubles and our shiny new ground with any team regardless .

That was the point I was trying to make. On the whole we are in a far better position to handle situations like the one we are one, where as previously when we where at the Withdean we didn't have any room to move.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Bournemouth are showing how it should be done and with a far lower budget and greatly inferior facilities.

Facilities, I'll grant you. But budget? No. If you think Bournemouth's budget is befitting of their status as a club then you're as up there with the suckers in the media who continue to perpetuate the myth of plucky little Bournemouth, achieving big things against all the odds.

They are funded by a rich and elusive Russian for some unfathomable reason, and giving a great big "**** you" to any notion of FFP. Their wage bill is entirely out of proportion to their (relatively small) income at this level. If you imagine Elphick and Cook are on significantly less than (say) Greer, then you're miles wide of the mark. We offered Grabban a deal last season: they came straight back and easily bettered it. It's simple to conclude that other players on their books are in similar positions: the likes of Wilson, Surman and Lee Camp aren't going to sign on for peanuts, in the face of offers from other clubs. It's not the infamous Lallana money paying for all this, as they were forking out disproportionate salaries long before this summer, in order to get out of League One.

Am I envious? Of course I am. It bugs me no end that clubs like them (and others: of course they're by no means the only one, but they are amongst the most flagrant about it) simply carry on regardless and spend money they don't have, while we're bending over backwards to comply with the rules as they stand. AFCB will undoubtedly be one of the clubs voting to change the rules at this week's meeting.

So hell, yes I'm jealous. And please, if you say nothing else on this subject: at least spare me the Plucky, Cash Strapped, Minnows Bournemouth fantasy, as it really is nothing but myth.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Facilities, I'll grant you. But budget? No. If you think Bournemouth's budget is befitting of their status as a club then you're as up there with the suckers in the media who continue to perpetuate the myth of plucky little Bournemouth, achieving big things against all the odds.

They are funded by a rich and elusive Russian for some unfathomable reason, and giving a great big "**** you" to any notion of FFP. Their wage bill is entirely out of proportion to their (relatively small) income at this level. If you imagine Elphick and Cook are on significantly less than (say) Greer, then you're miles wide of the mark. We offered Grabban a deal last season: they came straight back and easily bettered it. It's simple to conclude that other players on their books are in similar positions: the likes of Wilson, Surman and Lee Camp aren't going to sign on for peanuts, in the face of offers from other clubs. It's not the infamous Lallana money paying for all this, as they were forking out disproportionate salaries long before this summer, in order to get out of League One.

Am I envious? Of course I am. It bugs me no end that clubs like them (and others: of course they're by no means the only one, but they are amongst the most flagrant about it) simply carry on regardless and spend money they don't have, while we're bending over backwards to comply with the rules as they stand. AFCB will undoubtedly be one of the clubs voting to change the rules at this week's meeting.

So hell, yes I'm jealous. And please, if you say nothing else on this subject: at least spare me the Plucky, Cash Strapped, Minnows Bournemouth fantasy, as it really is nothing but myth.
Our budget is around £23 million a season and I doubt bournemouth's is similar.I reckon theirs is around £14/15 million to be honest although it maybe a bit steep still.

They have done superb regardless and probably because they actually get the right players in and have better scouts than us.It seems in recent years we just haven't a clue when it comes to getting the right players in..We seem to get a bunch of players in at the death and hope for the best i,e cog etc.

Our recruiting is a shambles at times it really is,throwing away millions of pounds a year because we don't have any strategy in place when it comes to getting what we need that fits our style of play.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

A Bournemouth source tells me that we actually offered Grabban less than he was already getting.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Long term? Ours 100%. I'm REALLY pleased for Bournemouth, but I worry that it isn't sustainable.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Our budget is around £23 million a season and I doubt bournemouth's is similar.I reckon theirs is around £14/15 million to be honest although it maybe a bit steep still.

They have done superb regardless and probably because they actually get the right players in and have better scouts than us.It seems in recent years we just haven't a clue when it comes to getting the right players in..We seem to get a bunch of players in at the death and hope for the best i,e cog etc.

Our recruiting is a shambles at times it really is,throwing away millions of pounds a year because we don't have any strategy in place when it comes to getting what we need that fits our style of play.

You can 'reckon' what you like, but you're wrong. As Edna rightly points out you're falling for the media's Bournemouth myth. They pay players significantly higher wages than we do.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Bloom is going hell for leather to get your losses under the £8 mill mark for the next set of accounts, but if he succeeds, that's still another big debt to add to the others. Your outgoings are still more than your incomes, and with no more family silver to flog, it's hard to see you being fully compliant with FFP in future seasons.
Relegation is looming as well, another thing that Bloom doesn't need at the moment.

D

Deleted member 22389

Long term? Ours 100%. I'm REALLY pleased for Bournemouth, but I worry that it isn't sustainable.

That's the plan, long term, we never had this before the stadium. We are so lucky to have such a fantastic set up, that it's quite easily forgotten when the team isn't doing well.
Eventually what is produced through the academy will show on the pitch.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Bloom is going hell for leather to get your losses under the £8 mill mark for the next set of accounts, but if he succeeds, that's still another big debt to add to the others. Your outgoings are still more than your incomes, and with no more family silver to flog, it's hard to see you being fully compliant with FFP in future seasons.
Relegation is looming as well, another thing that Bloom doesn't need at the moment.

Perhaps we will need your advice if we get to the Admin stage, after going through it a couple of times it will be handy to come to you and know who you shaft first to get started again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here